Memory Lane

maqroll

24 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Saturday mornings TV as a bin - lid in the seventies. Champion The Wonder Horse, Laurel and Hardy and the brilliant adult children's show, Tiswas. "The Phantom Flan Flinger," oh, how we laughed. 

When I used to go to The Ship Ashore (top floor) circa 1991-1995 they would always play Champion The Wonder Horse and I would jump on my mates back as we danced around the room pretending to whirl a lasso round my head.  This would normally continue into the next song which was inevitably Rawhide. 

Just now, sidcow said:

When I used to go to The Ship Ashore (top floor) circa 1991-1995 they would always play Champion The Wonder Horse and I would jump on my mates back as we danced around the room pretending to whirl a lasso round my head.  This would normally continue into the next song which was inevitably Rawhide. 

Frankie Lane, I remember buying my Grandad an LP by him, whilst on a school trip. 

• 2 months later...
Posted (edited)

Oh Man. Reading VT whilst listening to Absolute Radio 80's. King, Love and Pride just been on. Everytime I hear that song it immediately transports me to The Silver Blades Ice Rink in 1984. Whenever that came on it would cause me to absolutely tear it round that ice rink like a man (well boy) possessed. I swear my legs are tensed whenever I hear those opening, bars ready to go. 

Good times. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Xann said:

440562240_981515383337030_7888831695542640265_n.jpg.ba83816fd72cf332f06d92cbcff0fe78.jpg

Needs reporting. That cars not been taxed since 1st December 1989.

• Shocked 1

50 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Wow! - 17/18 years of pissing oil all over the roads, drives and the local Fine Fare car park 😮

35 minutes ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

Isn’t that an Oasis album cover?

That's solid post WWII social housing and a shit 70s British car called a Morris Marina.

This scene was everywhere in England.

It could be Manchester or Birmingham, or the towns or villages?

The car might be called an Allegro or a Princess, they'd still be pissing oil everywhere, or broken down in their own special way.

A friend's Mum had a Vauxhall Viva that doubled as a gas chamber.

You didn't need to run a hose pipe from the exhaust into the window. Close the windows, run the engine, job done.

1 minute ago, Xann said:

Wow! - 17/18 years of pissing oil all over the roads, drives and the local Fine Fare car park 😮

That's solid post WWII social housing and a shit 70s British car called a Morris Marina.

This scene was everywhere in England.

It could be Manchester or Birmingham, or the towns or villages?

The car might be called an Allegro or a Princess, they'd still be pissing oil everywhere, or broken down in their own special way.

A friend's Mum had a Vauxhall Viva that doubled as a gas chamber.

You didn't need to run a hose pipe from the exhaust into the window. Close the windows, run the engine, job done.

100% sincere- that is a spectacular photograph! Definitely worth more than a mere thousand words

1 minute ago, Nor-Cal Villan said:

100% sincere- that is a spectacular photograph! Definitely worth more than a mere thousand words

It was more than a thousand streets.

Think it was maybe tagged as Nottingham, iirc?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sidcow said:

The fact a Marina lasted 17 years is a miracle!

My Dad purchased a nearly new one in 1979 (it was one year old) and by the time it was part exchanged in about 1985 at Bristol St Motors for a Ford Granada, it was as rotten as a pear!

its mad to think a car could dissolve after 7 years! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

The fact a Marina lasted 17 years is a miracle!

My Dad purchased a nearly new one in 1979 (it was one year old) and by the time it was part exchanged in about 1985 at Bristol St Motors for a Ford Granada, it was as rotten as a pear!

its mad to think a car could dissolve after 7 years! 

Par for the course in those days. Yet people laughed at the Japanese motors that fit together properly and didn't rust to shit in a couple of years. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

Par for the course in those days. Yet people laughed at the Japanese motors that fit together properly and didn't rust to shit in a couple of years. 

Bluebirds went on and on into the 21st Century.

There is an immaculate Bluebird where I park after work. I mean, it’s beyond factory new. it has that grey blue metallic paint they had but the depth of shine on it is weird, its like there’s a film of glass over the top of it. I can’t imagine how much the guy has spent / spending, and it is a Nissan Bluebird. But bloody hell it looks fine.

My first car was a Morris Marina, ex police car. Which as it happens was a nightmare, because they kept spotting it and stopping me so they could look it over and reminisce.

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

My first car was a Morris Marina, ex police car. Which as it happens was a nightmare, because they kept spotting it and stopping me so they could look it over and reminisce.

Police had full time mechanics of course. They must have been busy in the 70s.

austin-allegro-police-car-7-4263588288.jpg.f7c751903680f7a03319d8ad6a9301b8.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Xann said:

It was more than a thousand streets.

Think it was maybe tagged as Nottingham, iirc?

Could easily be Kingstanding

27 minutes ago, Xann said:

Police had full time mechanics of course. They must have been busy in the 70s.

austin-allegro-police-car-7-4263588288.jpg.f7c751903680f7a03319d8ad6a9301b8.jpg

Where did that powder blue and white colour scheme come from? 

Ah, cars you can fix with spanners. At one point we had a ‘71 Beetle and a ‘68 Spitfire at the same time. We had also had a Dolomite at one point, and the Marina.

As long as you didn’t have to be anywhere by a particular time on a specific day, it was fine.

Got the Dolomite up to 90mph once and it started knocking and rumbling and shaking. I slowed it down, and down, and down, 80, 70, 60… at almost stop, one of the front wheels fell off. When we sold it, the only way to get it to stop running was to pop the bonnet and pinch the fuel pipe tight, so it ran out of petrol. The guy that bought it accepted that was a quirk of the car and perfectly acceptable as we’d been up front about it.

The Spitfire is now used for hill climbs and has been ‘stripped down’. I couldn’t imagine what that meant so I went for a look. No doors, no bumpers, no passenger seat. I just stood there wishing I’d thought of that.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Ah, cars you can fix with spanners. At one point we had a ‘71 Beetle and a ‘68 Spitfire at the same time. We had also had a Dolomite at one point, and the Marina.

As long as you didn’t have to be anywhere by a particular time on a specific day, it was fine.

Got the Dolomite up to 90mph once and it started knocking and rumbling and shaking. I slowed it down, and down, and down, 80, 70, 60… at almost stop, one of the front wheels fell off. When we sold it, the only way to get it to stop running was to pop the bonnet and pinch the fuel pipe tight, so it ran out of petrol. The guy that bought it accepted that was a quirk of the car and perfectly acceptable as we’d been up front about it.

The Spitfire is now used for hill climbs and has been ‘stripped down’. I couldn’t imagine what that meant so I went for a look. No doors, no bumpers, no passenger seat. I just stood there wishing I’d thought of that.

My Dad had a Dolomite. My overriding memory is that there was a 2-3mm gap between the top of the window and the window frame in the back. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

My Dad had a Dolomite. My overriding memory is that there was a 2-3mm gap between the top of the window and the window frame in the back. 

Not to be confused with 

IMG-9763.jpg

😉

Â