Imagine if players donated to save Villa Jobs

GeneralJazzman

12 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

I'm just astounded at the figures mentioned: 1600 employees, 500 to go, 185 playing/coaching staff?

We seem to employ vastly more people than other premier league clubs while for the past 4 years being one of the least successful. Something has been very wrong with the way the club has been run under Lerner and I'm sorry so many are having to pay a price now the day of reckoning has come.

You make a good point actually and it may well have been the case that staffing levels regardless of what division are bloated and needed to be reduced. Obviously relegation has had a further impact on the reductions required though.

Bottom line though is these people are blameless in this whole mess and I have plenty of sympathy for them as I am sure we all do.

• Like 2

It was like that years ago....I remember the infamous debates about our wage bill compared to Spurs in the CL chasing years under MON and what always struck me from those accounts was how many more staff we employed on a match and non-matchday than Spurs did, it all add up although like Mark says obvious sympathies to anyone reading who has been made redundant by the club, horrible stuff. 

On 4/11/2016 at 22:37, GeneralJazzman said:

I was thinking the first team players should help to halt / restrict impending redundancies at the club by donating a weeks wages to save jobs. One weeks worth of wages from every player could keep many staff on next season, or at least give more hourly options for staff. 

It would go a long way to mend bridges between players and fans too. If I were part of this side, I would be running a collection along with busting a gut to get us out of this mess. 

Why??? I'm going to be controversial but why should they.  Like one of the earlier posts we have heard of very rare incidents when a company has done it but it is very rare.  The reasoning that is being suggested is that it is the players fault we are being relegated and thus need to reduce cost.  The players can easily afford it in one pay being distributed to the employees rather than taking it themselves.

While all very good in theory and from a third party like us the fans but again why should the players do it? I'm assuming the players probably only have met a handful of the likely people and even more so if told the person name couldnt pick them out in a line up so they dont know these people so why should somebody forfeit their weeks wage for somebody they dont know because of peer/fan pressure? While you can argue the relegation is the players fault, we have been teetering on relegation for the last how ever many seasons and a lot of these players are new to the cube, should we be asking ex recent players to contribute as well?  the senior management are as just as much to blame, especially the ones that have been fired.  Without doubt the owner is to blame.  

Also instead of us fans wanting "twenty is plenty" prices, we pay an extra £1 per game (or whatever the figure is) so these people can keep their jobs, the fan pressure to keep prices down or reduce them further will also be a reason for redundancies.  It's us the fans that want the people to keep the jobs, the vast amount players will more than likely be gone before the new season starts especially the ones at fault.  Also you can argue (never mind how bad we are playing) that it's us the fans who are also making the people redundant as our dwindling attendances means overall crowds are down and thus the need to close off area's.  If we were selling out then this wouldnt be happening.  I know this is unfair to blame us given the football but it's true, if we were there then there wouldnt be redunancies.

People have to remember the only people that care are us and the people close to the people losing their jobs.  Expecting anything else, you are hoping for a miracle which could happen but highly unlikely because if they did forfeit a weeks salary, then in a month or two's time we will have forgotten and still want them out of the club because they are awful/lazy players and why would players feel the need as the relegation is not just their fault so why should they be the only ones to suffer just because they earn money than us.

I think the main reason why is community, there is no one to pay wages if fans and support staff don't show. The distribution of wealth is the key factor, few have lots and many have very little. It doesn't make for a productive community where the, potential, hard work of some people has been undermined by lack of hard work by others. Especially if the people not perceived to be pulling weight are the high earners and figure heads. Sends the wrong message.

Take club the captain: redundancies, relegation, asked to get in shape to play......what response does the villa community get? 

It is about a sense of responsibility, looking beyond yourself and seeing there is a community that needs attention. Interesting reading about how we have been potentially over staffed for years though. 

I love your idea and years ago players were part of the community but now they are not.  Through pay, fame and ego their connection to the community has long gone.  Their reality is not our reality, their loyalty is to themselves evidenced by what they say and do 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

I love your idea and years ago players were part of the community but now they are not.  Through pay, fame and ego their connection to the community has long gone.  Their reality is not our reality, their loyalty is to themselves evidenced by what they say and do 

This is it, our worlds no longer connect. Froggatt on Facebook was discussing the same idea, so this disconnect has happened within the last 20 years and has paralleled with cultural shifts like pimping my ride, how expensive is your crib, how can I photograph my life so it looks better than yours and how are Kardashians doing...

As horrible as it is for that many people to be losing jobs, we clearly employ way too many people anyway, compared to other clubs. It's natural that we need to get rid of some people, and going down just makes the need even greater.

As admirable as it would be for the players to donate to keep people in work, I don't think it's really the right way to go. I'd be happier if it was the players contributing to a pay off for the staff to make the redundancy easier.

Also, I'd question whether this is 500 full time positions, or just 500 heads of any description.
For example, I know villa use an agency for a lot of their catering staff. They're not full time staff, they work a few hours every other week and they don't rely on it as a sole source of income.

That kind of staff being cut down could inflate that number quite significantly.

Here's what the Daily Star report what the players earn pw. Not sure where there have sourced the figures from but here goes:

N'Zogbia 55k

Gabby 55k

Richards 50k

Lescott 45k

Sinclair 35k

Sanchez 35k

Gana 32.5k

Ayew 32.5k

Gestede 30k

Okore 30k

Hutton 30k

Guzan 30k

Westwood 30k

Amavi 30k 

Clark 30k 

Veretout 28k

Gil 28k

Bacuna 25k

Kozak 25k

Cissokho 24k

Adama 22.5k

Richardson 22.5k

Bunn 17.5k

Greilish 15k

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/510246/Revealed-Aston-Villa-player-wages

• 4 weeks later...
Â