Imagine if players donated to save Villa Jobs

GeneralJazzman

What's next? Suggesting the players making the slightest hint of actually giving a f*** on the pitch? 

I suppose your idea is slightly more realistic than mine, but I fear we're both being a trifle naive :) 

• Like 1

because we'll never get any info further than "villa getting relegated, we have to make redundancies" its hard to know what is happening, why and if the players chucked a load of money in the pot what difference it would actually make

easy example of what i mean is match day staff, at the end of the day our attendances are down by around 10k, do the club still employ match day staff based on 42k inside VP? do we employ staff based on the corporate being full when in reality its currently operating at 75%? if ticket sales are down then do you need the same number of people in the ticket office?

if so then im sorry but why keep those staff on? i dont think as simple as we have less money in the championship so its the non playing staff that have to suffer cuts

14 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I was thinking the first team players should help to halt / restrict impending redundancies at the club by donating a weeks wages to save jobs. One weeks worth of wages from every player could keep many staff on next season, or at least give more hourly options for staff. 

It would go a long way to mend bridges between players and fans too. If I were part of this side, I would be running a collection along with busting a gut to get us out of this mess. 

Fantastic idea... guilty tripping some of those pricks into swallowing their pride instead of buying another AMG Mercedes or Dubai pissups. The others that actually have the right attitude (Westwood, Cissokho etc) probably would be more than willing anyway.

• Like 1

I know what you mean about the running costs actually coming down due to attendances and the need might not be there but it's more about the community of the club, the city and reconnecting with the fans. 

The players are completely disconnected with everyday reality and that a week of their wage is more than comparable to a year of a "regular Joe", A lot more in some cases. 

It's an idealistic post but our club is more than the players on the pitch and Aston Villa need to be connected through all roles of the club. 

33 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

I was thinking the first team players should help to halt / restrict impending redundancies at the club by donating a weeks wages to save jobs. One weeks worth of wages from every player could keep many staff on next season, or at least give more hourly options for staff. 

It would go a long way to mend bridges between players and fans too. If I were part of this side, I would be running a collection along with busting a gut to get us out of this mess. 

I don't, if you compare Aston Villa to other clubs like Everton and West Ham for example we have way too many staff on our books. In fact the staff numbers at Villa are a total piss take compared to other clubs, it's no wonder we are a financial mess. Really we should be getting rid of about 200 people

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KHV said:

I don't, if you compare Aston Villa to other clubs like Everton and West Ham for example we have way too many staff on our books. In fact the staff numbers at Villa are a total piss take compared to other clubs, it's no wonder we are a financial mess. Really we should be getting rid of about 200 people

TBH I don't really care about this from a organisational perspective. I would just love to see Lescott, Richards, Gabby etc swallow some (monetary) pride

• Like 1

The fact is, the same amount of employees aren't required, as attendances will drop.

There's no sense in people being employed to stand around doing **** all, out of charity (though I guess our first team has done that all season ;))

Think some are missing the point here, people wouldn't be losing their jobs if the majority of the playing staff weren't such massive self serving monumentally hateful and abhorrent **** ups. 

Edited by Ingram85

I actually think the club is overstaffed at present compared with other premier league clubs (and particularly championship clubs, one of which we are about to become). If Hollis is doing his job properly, I'm sure he's lighted on this. Sorry, but I think redundancies are probably justified.

However I still support the idea of players giving a week's salary towards an enhanced redundancy fund. That could make life a lot easier for many of those affected.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

Think some are missing the point here, people wouldn't be losing their jobs if the majority of the playing staff weren't such massive self serving monumentally hateful and abhorrent **** ups. 

yes they would...

like others have said if we are bloated in terms of staff numbers then cuts are inevitable regardless of our league status

dont get me wrong it would be great if there was some sort of financial penalty to the players that are sending us down, i personally wouldnt mind my season ticket refunded, but its not going to happen, the media will directly link the redundancies to the relegation because thats a very easy link to make and means they can carry on reveling in the shambles that we are , however without proper information provided by the club (which they wont) you cant be 100% certain and therefore cant demand the players pay

i dont see why people are expecting footballers to behave in a manner that no other business would

15 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

It is just a job to the players, you really think they give a flying **** about the club or the staff?

If redundancies were happening in your workplace would you chip in?

I wouldn't. It's the companies fault at the end of the day.

When redundancies were happening at our firm some years ago, we had a meeting and discussed and, as a result, some of the staff volunteered to reduce their hours so that a couple of the redundancies could be saved.    So in a way, the staff did chip in.   Eventually, things picked up again and all those who had reduced their hours were able to go back on to full hours.  We had no pay rises for about five years either and only a small one when they were able to do it.  Not that that's anything to do with Villa and they certainly wouldn't take a wage cut I'm sure! 

Edited by Hev
  • Like 1

The problem with the players is they don't know they are complete dickheads.

They are so wrapped up in their own world's, which is not in this universe, to notice how life actually is. 

Even the likeable ones, don't have their feet on the ground.

I'm a big fan of Beckham for example. Does a lot of good things David Beckham. However, if I had all the contacts, time and money in the world, I'd probably travel around the world playing footy on different continents, raising the awareness of world struggles. 

Â