Imagine if players donated to save Villa Jobs

GeneralJazzman

37 minutes ago, Hev said:

When redundancies were happening at our firm some years ago, we had a meeting and discussed and, as a result, some of the staff volunteered to reduce their hours so that a couple of the redundancies could be saved.    So in a way, the staff did chip in.   Eventually, things picked up again and all those who had reduced their hours were able to go back on to full hours.  We had no pay rises for about five years either and only a small one when they were able to do it.  Not that that's anything to do with Villa and they certainly wouldn't take a wage cut I'm sure! 

Peer pressure?

23 minutes ago, Kingman said:

The bottle-less rocket polishers would probably just cower away in the corner like they have done all season. 

**** Pathetic excuse of men!

They do have it tough you know.........

My mate is/was attending a meeting at the holte suite tonight (6pm start). He is a 20yr + steward in upper witton stand. I did text him for an update but no reply so far....

I would love to introduce PRP (performance related pay) in to the players' contracts but I'm sure that PFA apologist Gordon Taylor would freak at the thought.

Shame though....I think it would be a great idea !

20 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

My mate is/was attending a meeting at the holte suite tonight (6pm start). He is a 20yr + steward in upper witton stand. I did text him for an update but no reply so far....

I hope its a free bar at the very least! I just think that getting rid of loyal staff who cost the club comparative peanuts in real terms because players who are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds more but do a lot less to earn their wages than do those staff have performed so badly is wrong for so many reasons. 

• Like 1

Normal people losing their jobs because of the poor performance of millionaire footballers?

That is so wrong. I do hope there are enough staff willing to take voluntary redundancy. To be sacked in these circumstances seems so unfair.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John said:

I hope its a free bar at the very least! I just think that getting rid of loyal staff who cost the club comparative peanuts in real terms because players who are paid hundreds of thousands of pounds more but do a lot less to earn their wages than do those staff have performed so badly is wrong for so many reasons. 

He's just replied. Seems like it was just a general meeting to announce there will be cuts to matchday staff numbers with those remaining to have their contracts "adjusted" to reflect where the club will be next season...........meaning pay cuts no doubt. Although there will be 4 extra home games than in the prem, i have a feeling that there will be a hell of a lot less in matchday staff numbers and even if we draw a big team in the cups then they will probably outsource to G4S to make up the numbers.

He sounded quite down about it.

27 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

He's just replied. Seems like it was just a general meeting to announce there will be cuts to matchday staff numbers with those remaining to have their contracts "adjusted" to reflect where the club will be next season...........meaning pay cuts no doubt. Although there will be 4 extra home games than in the prem, i have a feeling that there will be a hell of a lot less in matchday staff numbers and even if we draw a big team in the cups then they will probably outsource to G4S to make up the numbers.

I just hope Villa Park doesn't lose hard working loyal staff due to what's being offered is below the ability to look after and feed a family. Especially when players take home is epic in comparison. 

Players will take a cut too but it's still a lifestyle I will never see unless I win the lottery. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

He has every reason to feel down about it. I have heard that the Upper Trinity and possibly the Upper North Stand as well for some games may be closed next season (no doubt to make the ground look more full for Friday night TV games/to reduce the number of staff they need for games). I would guess that bringing in G4S would cost more than using the current staff. I have difficulty in seeing why staff such as stewards or turnstile operators for example would need to have their contracts adjusted given they would be doing the same job no matter what division we are in. Sad days for all at VP and I hope your mate is not too much impacted by what happens next season.   

This whole scenario is baffling.

At a time when the new board should be looking to be making friends, limiting PR damage, and prioritising getting our players off the wage bill, they are releasing statements about potential involuntary redundancies. This is absolutely absurd!

How many staff that earn a full-time salary to Villa employ that are non-football? 500? The vast majority of whom will be on 30k tops.

So let's generously say the club will save £3m by making these redundancies (I doubt it will be even close to that). That's Gabby Agbonlahor's annual salary.

As far as I can see, this new board are trying to appease the fans with sacking Fox etc, but they have no plan at all. They are "planning a meeting on Wednesday" about a new manager. Most clubs have a replacement lined up when they sack the manager, let alone spend bloody two weeks before having a "discussion".

2 hours ago, John said:

He has every reason to feel down about it. I have heard that the Upper Trinity and possibly the Upper North Stand as well for some games may be closed next season (no doubt to make the ground look more full for Friday night TV games/to reduce the number of staff they need for games). I would guess that bringing in G4S would cost more than using the current staff. I have difficulty in seeing why staff such as stewards or turnstile operators for example would need to have their contracts adjusted given they would be doing the same job no matter what division we are in. Sad days for all at VP and I hope your mate is not too much impacted by what happens next season.   

Cheers John. He is one of the good guys and loves the club but thanks to our inept team he and many like him will be pushed out the door. The G4S thing is a guess really; he worked at edgbaston cricket ground too for many years as did a few other footy stewards and G4S got the contract there - a shockingly disorganised company at times, but that's another story....

He said they'll be looking for voluntary redundancy candidates (more for the permanent staff than matchday, I guess).........I dont know....getting rid of good experienced staff, less police presence for so called low risk games (the club already cut back where they can on the police bill) it all seems a bit risky but what do i know ?

The upper trinity could have been closed this season with still plenty of seats spare so I wouldn't be surprised if the upper trinity remains closed all next season bar a few local Derbys. 

Should maybe move the away fans in the top corner of the trinity near the north stand and put our fans back in the upper & lower witton.

Its not just the employees wages but also the infrastructure behind what these employees support that will now cost a heck of a lot of money to run.  Only viable option is to shut them down to we get back up if that ever happens

12 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I would love to introduce PRP (performance related pay) in to the players' contracts but I'm sure that PFA apologist Gordon Taylor would freak at the thought.

Gordon Taylor played for SHA

An adopted BlueNose

......and a C***

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mottaloo said:

I would love to introduce PRP (performance related pay) in to the players' contracts but I'm sure that PFA apologist Gordon Taylor would freak at the thought

well in theory they kind of do but its on top of the basic, think of the poor players who havent been getting their win / goal / clean sheet bonuses this season

12 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

This whole scenario is baffling.

At a time when the new board should be looking to be making friends, limiting PR damage, and prioritising getting our players off the wage bill, they are releasing statements about potential involuntary redundancies. This is absolutely absurd!

How many staff that earn a full-time salary to Villa employ that are non-football? 500? The vast majority of whom will be on 30k tops.

So let's generously say the club will save £3m by making these redundancies (I doubt it will be even close to that). That's Gabby Agbonlahor's annual salary.

As far as I can see, this new board are trying to appease the fans with sacking Fox etc, but they have no plan at all. They are "planning a meeting on Wednesday" about a new manager. Most clubs have a replacement lined up when they sack the manager, let alone spend bloody two weeks before having a "discussion".

Its an awful situation that is made worse because of the football side of it and its very difficult to make an argument when you've got employees of the club on ridiculous high wages and others about to lose their jobs.

As it stands, it appears we have been run in a terrible way from top to bottom, on and off the pitch, in all areas of the business. Relegation or not I think it really needed someone like Hollis to come in and assess all operations and make sure they are being ran correctly and money isn't being spunked up the wall. When it comes to operations, I think you have to view it as a seperate business, you need to be making money and keeping costs down. Having one less player earning £50,000 a week might effectively help the books but it doesn't mean the business is being run any better. It probably isn't just the football side of things why we last so much money last year, we are a mess throughout.

Redundencies should be a last resort, I hope Villa are doing everything they can to avoid it, and aren't just trying to take the easy option to cut costs. It needs to be right for the business, too few stewards, catering and retail staff etc and they are going to have shot themselves in the foot.

Â