****** SUPERBOWL 50 ********

Brumerican

Broncos must win Super Bowl 50 to lose reputation as Choke City

Let's start with an exorcism.

Before the Broncos can win Super Bowl 50, the team and the town must kill the demons of 43-8.

"God is so good. He'll give you a second chance in life," Denver linebacker Von Miller said in the hour after an emotional victory against New England that earned the Broncos a return trip to the NFL's championship game. "I remember after the Super Bowl loss, I was sitting in the locker room and you have guys crying. It's a depressing moment."

Oh, nobody in Denver has forgotten. The humiliation suffered at the hands of Seattle left a scar, which is tender and raw, even two years later.

"I am still wounded," Broncos fan Stacey Michaud told me Tuesday.

All across these United States, Denver is known as Choke City. Here's the chance to change the narrative.

Get beat by Carolina, and Denver will have lost the Super Bowl for the sixth time, the most defeats suffered by one franchise in the big game's 50-year history. Worse, the Broncos don't merely lose the Super Bowl. They get crushed. In the five defeats, the average score has been 41-12. Ouch.

There are demons of past humiliations to be exorcised. The question is: How best to do it?

"I moved," Broncos fan Frank Dardano said. "Took the family and bought a new house with new energy, complete with a Broncos den, topped off with and an orange-and-blue Rosary."

A drastic measure? Not really. Not when you consider that Broncos front-office executive John Elway took a bulldozer to the roster after Denver was routed by the Seahawks.

Get this: Only six of 22 starters from the 43-8 loss to Seattle will be on the field when the Broncos play Carolina. The six: Demaryius Thomas, Louis Vasquez, Peyton Manning, Malik Jackson, Sylvester Williams and Danny Trevathan. That's it.

"It's good that they've been at this point already, and they know what it feels like. And they also know what it feels like to lose (the Super Bowl), if you celebrate a little too much," said linebacker DeMarcus Ware, who joined the Broncos last year.

Chris Harris, Derek Wolfe and Miller were hurt two years ago, and it hurt them to watch a lopsided outcome of the Super Bowl. But they are not burdened by the responsibility of that defeat.Elway was smart to clean house, which included the firing of John Fox and his coaching staff. The Broncos are a franchise with a proud tradition. But, in this case, the institutional memory needed to be erased. The pain of 43-8 was too great.

Official balls for the NFL Super Bowl 50 football game are seen in a bin prior to final inspection at the Wilson Sporting Goods Co. in Ada, Ohio, Tuesday,

"I pretend that game didn't happen, and just dreamed my doppelganger was there in New Jersey," Broncos fan Aemal Aman replied, when I asked my Twitter followers how they exorcised their demons.

Yes, Denver fans remember the 1990s, and they cherish memories of the helicopter play by Elway, as well as franchise owner Pat Bowlen hoisting the Lombardi Trophy. But that is ancient history to the rest of NFL Nation.

The image of the Broncos is a snap sailing over the head of Manning and Seattle dumping Denver's collective heart in a dumpster before Bruno Mars took the stage at halftime in New Jersey. "I started drinking pretty heavily around the time Bruno Mars went on," Broncos fan Jeff Black said. "It hurt a lot less that way."

The betting line for Super Bowl 50 opened with Carolina a 4½-point favorite. With 70 percent of the early money wagered on the Panthers, that line has moved to six points quicker than you can say Cam Newton.

The public has spoken: America doesn't believe in the Broncos.

This time, Broncomaniacs want to believe it will be different. This wild ride in the playoffs has been one heck of a rodeo, as Archie Manning told me after watching his son beat the Patriots. I will be shocked if the Super Bowl is not the last game Peyton Manning plays for Denver or anybody else. A seat on the porch beckons. Retirement nears.

Manning is known as The Sheriff. There's got to be a happy ending to his Last Rodeo, right?

"It is written: The Sheriff will go out on top," said Broncos fan Cully Woods, sounding 100 percent certain Denver won't choke again in the big game.

Well, almost 100 percent certain.

"Just in case," added Woods, "I no longer wear the No. 18 jersey I wore during Super Bowl 48 on playoff days."

Hey, why stop there? I would suggest burning that Manning jersey, burying it in the backyard and pouring five cans of Orange Crush on the grave to exorcise the demons from each of the Broncos previous five defeats in the Super Bowl.

Too much? I think not. Whatever works.

Panthers will win this by a country mile. New England's line is among the worst in the league at stopping the pass rush, and Brady is about as mobile as an anvil, Newton will move out the pocket and be a dual run/pass threat, particularly little dump passes and then we start talking about Carolina's D, who if they get to manning one time, he might not have a choice to retire. They will hurt him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brumerican said:

You should talk NFL more often Dom.

Cheers mate! 

Ive picked up a few things from living in rock hill, which has more nfl 1st rd draft picks per square mile than anywhere else in the country  

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

But he'd have to put his guns down ;)

Don't be silly. What about if a liberal shows up at my door!!!!!

• Like 3

I can see Panthers covering the spread pretty easily in this. The defenses are about even, broncos may have the edge in special teams and Panthers have a much much better offense. Also I don't think the broncos will be able to run the ball, and manning can't throw a deep ball which leaves Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis ball hawking around Owen Daniels for the night. Pick sixes a plenty. 

Panthers to beat the spread, Kuechly for MVP and Manning to throw at least one INT. Need to get a bookie to price that up...

Edited by villa89
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

Panthers will win this by a country mile. New England's line is among the worst in the league at stopping the pass rush, and Brady is about as mobile as an anvil, Newton will move out the pocket and be a dual run/pass threat, particularly little dump passes and then we start talking about Carolina's D, who if they get to manning one time, he might not have a choice to retire. They will hurt him.

unimpressed.gif

13 minutes ago, villa89 said:

I can see Panthers covering the spread pretty easily in this. The defenses are about even, broncos may have the edge in special teams and Panthers have a much much better offense. Also I don't think the broncos will be able to run the ball, and manning can't throw a deep ball which leaves Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis ball hawking around Owen Daniels for the night. Pick sixes a plenty. 

Panthers to beat the spread, Kuechly for MVP and Manning to throw at least one INT. Need to get a bookie to price that up...

Panthers beat the spread but Cam doesnt get MVP......... im sure youd get very high odds. Doubt Manning throwing an INT will add much value

I don't think the Broncos will have much trouble running the ball. We were being gashed by Arizona & David Johnson in particular until they had to start throwing every down because of the scoreboard. The Broncos are much more likely to stick to the run IF we get into a two score lead. I just can't see them beating us with the throw though. The intermediate routes/throws just aren't gonna be on offer with Kuechly/Davis/Thompson there. Gotta wonder where the chunk plays will come from because I'm not sure we'll be getting done by the deep throw all too often (even though that's by far the defense's biggest weakness).

I think the game relies heavily on our run game, because if Denver can stop that, their defense will keep them in it.

1 hour ago, villa89 said:

The defenses are about even

I don't think they are.  Although on your other point I agree that they'll probably beat the spread, which has moved from 4.5 out to 6.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

unimpressed.gif

I was talking about the ease upon which Denver got to Brady in the semi final game. And how i believe that it will be nowhere near as easy for them to dominate the panthers like they did New England  

Sorry should have made it clearer

We won't get at Newton as much, firstly because of a better line than NE and secondly because of his mobility, that's true.  But I think we have more chance in the secondary in this game.  Newton is brilliant but he's no Tom Brady in decision-making.  Not yet anyway.  The trick will be in stopping him marching down the field single-handed.  That'll be up to Von and Co.  I expect his legs will get him into trouble and then as a consequence so will his arms.  I've no worries about our defence's ability to show up and make a good account of themselves.  I'm far more worried about our offence and how that performs against the Carolina D.

It's an interesting matchup if only because both sides' strong suits are going up against one another and the weak points are left to fend for themselves :)

The one thing I'm hoping for is the fact that this is let's face it Manning's final game and he'll want to go out as a champion, so our 'weak point'; our offence; actually turns up and does to the Panthers defence what their offence will hopefully fail to do to ours.

Fingers crossed and all that.

4 hours ago, Dom_Wren said:

I was talking about the ease upon which Denver got to Brady in the semi final game. And how i believe that it will be nowhere near as easy for them to dominate the panthers like they did New England  

Sorry should have made it clearer

I understood first read mate. Just tell him Russell Wilson aint as good as Cam, then grab some popcorn.:D

• Like 2

Â