****** SUPERBOWL 50 ********

Brumerican

I couldn't see us getting past the Patriots and I can't see us beating the Panthers.  To have any chance we'll need our defence to have another one of those days.  The one thing we have over Carolina, for whatever it's worth, is post-season and Superbowl experience.  You can never know the effects of your debut Superbowl appearance until you make it, but I suspect Cam is more than likely to excel in that environment than he is to freeze.  Hopefully he plays so open in an attempt to impress everyone and show what he's got, that our secondary picks him off all night.  We will need our offence to show more than they did in the second half of last night's game.  They were impotent and struggling not to go 3 & out every time.

The recent swapping of the Pro Bowl and Superbowl is a God-send for the likes of Manning who will need the extra week to rest up.

If we didn't have the defence that we do, I could see this being another Superbowl XLVIII blowout.  As it is, if we can stay in it and make it tense until the end then you never know.  They say defences win championships.  Let's see if that's really true.

He could have done what Peyton did in the 2nd half last night.  The only intangible is experience.  If Peyton is fit then you go with the person that has been there, done it.

I'll be going to my old American Football team's Superbowl party in Dublin city centre :hooray:helmetzc8.gifanimated-smileys-sport-088.gif

Also, they seem to be going more with the decimal number rather than the Roman one this time around.  Maybe 50 is significant enough not to fancify it, or is it the next stage of general dumbing down that's going on everywhere :)

I've always liked the Broncos!

The match up reminds me of the Hawks-Broncos Super Bowl of two years ago (incredible defense v high scoring offense) but I think we're a bit more balanced than that Broncos team. Gonna be a great game!

Yep, I liked both NFC finalists, and I think I'm on record as saying Cam is my favourite non-Bronco player to watch in the NFL.  I just hope it's a learning experience for him this time out ;)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Milfner said:

I've always liked the Broncos!

The match up reminds me of the Hawks-Broncos Super Bowl of two years ago (incredible defense v high scoring offense) but I think we're a bit more balanced than that Broncos team. Gonna be a great game!

I think also, we had a better offense than Denver now and you have a better defense than they had in 2013.

I think it'll be a close game though, can't see that Denver D allowing the points you've been scoring in recent weeks. That Denver O is just diabolical though. I've never seen a team a D like they did in 2nd half of the game yesterday.

Edited by StefanAVFC

12 hours ago, BOF said:

The recent swapping of the Pro Bowl and Superbowl is a God-send for the likes of Manning who will need the extra week to rest up.

The Super Bowl has (with rare exceptions when the calendar would put the game into February or force week 1 to Labor Day weekend) normally been two weeks after the conference championships.

The Super Bowl has (with rare exceptions when the calendar would put the game into February or force week 1 to Labor Day weekend) normally been two weeks after the conference championships.

My mistake. The bringing forward of the pro bowl confused my little mind :)

NFL fans deserve better than Phil Simms at the Super Bowl

QUOTE :

After Tom Brady threw his second interception of the AFC Championship on Sunday, Phil Simms commented as the camera slow-motion zoomed on Tom Brady, saying, “brace yourself, it’s gonna hurt.” That felt like a warning to viewers as much as to Brady.

I won't quote it all as it's a fairly long'un.  But I figured it would strike a chord with some in here :D

I think the best comparison is with Super Bowl V.

The Colts made it to the game with a legendary QB who was past his best days and prone to turnovers, but managed to win games with a defense that created turnovers and a backup QB who could come in and win a couple of games.

The Cowboys, meanwhile, came in after being playoff underachievers for a few years with a love 'em or hate 'em brashness.

It was a transitional Super Bowl: the AFL and NFL completed their merger that season.  The Dolphins and Steelers were just showing glimmers of being good for the first time.  Lombardi died right before the season started.  The game itself was filled with turnovers (a record 11, 7 by the winning Colts (a record for a winning team)) and punts.  The Colts won with a last minute FG, but the MVP was a Cowboys LB (the only losing player to win MVP), though he refused to accept the award.  Likewise, Colts DT Bubba Smith refused to ever wear his ring due to how terribly the Colts played.

• Like 3

Â