Weekends football/MNF 18/21 December

andykeenan

On 20/12/2015 at 16:45, maqroll said:

Was Filet Mignon not playing today?

Liverpool need a keeper more than Villa need a win.

Amazing that they have Bogdan as back up, and Mignolet remains one of the worst keepers in the league.

8 minutes ago, gharperr said:

Not sure if you're serious but 2nd was the challenge for arsenal this season with a clear title challenge

First is just a "bonus". They still have their injury crises and its legit ok if they don't finish first.  Any arsenal fan who thinks otherwise is just st00pid. Sacking a manager who hasn't got #1 netspend +wages is so silly if legit title challenge until the end.

Kinda unrelated to what you're saying but I've always wondered if Wenger has intentionally not flashed the cash through the years, although there were clear deficiencies in the team and the mention there was the money there to spend if he wanted, as something to hide behind when they finish below the big spenders.

Nope. Didn't splash the cash because owners built new stadium and needed to pay of debts (aka be a selling club). Now stadium debts been paid off buying star players like Sanchez and ozil is normal and no longer having to sell GOAT players like koscienly to barca. Wenger takes a lot of the flake for owners and players through in eyes of the public. There's been a very clear shift between Wenger stadium debts vs Wenger post stadium debt 

The same will be happening to spurs from now on. 

Edited by gharperr
  • Like 1

One final comment. Pretty funny how carragher was saying how there isn't really anyone better out there that arsenal can sign who is better than giroud currently and that he is actually quite good. About time you finally realise pundits. 

MNF should just sign me up for arsenal related topics instead of being months/year too late (I like smelling my own farts) 

8 hours ago, gharperr said:

Also lol ozil lazy and doesn't turn up in big games even though runs more and sample sizes. Oh and arsenal need new strikers to win big games. 

Gg. 

ozil is playing out of his skin, 12 assists already this season i think, not sure if its him thats adapted to the league or arsenal have finally found a way to get the most out of him

and like i said last night, my personal criticism of them having giroud isnt that they need a bigger name striker to win big games, its that they need another striker to give giroud a break when he's either tired or struggling for form, as it is he played well again last night, he'll have to play well again another 3 times in the next 10 days because arsenal have no one else...

or they might start with walcott up front, meaning they'll play gibbs as a winger

Its interesting this assits stats though. Walcott had a hell of a lot to do to score that first goal. I just wonder how many assists really count as goalscoring opportunities because Walcotts could hardly be classed as one. Ozil oozes class though. Have Arsenal improved from the last few seasons? not really, the other sides have got worse. I think Giroud is a very good striker, just not top class but there is no-one out there that Arsenal can buy who would be better. If they had signed Suarez he would have won them the league 2 seasons ago. 

Yup agree. Probably challenging semifinals+ in CL if they signed suarez. I still don't get how Liverpool got around that release clause? Any know how? 

Also comment about giving giroud a break (ive been one of biggest giroud fans) but they actually looked better with Walcott at front this season before he got injured. The press was more effective. (They just need to sign less injury prone players so rotating Walcott/giroud is fine and not having to play Walcott wide)

Edited by gharperr

27 minutes ago, gharperr said:

Yup agree. Probably challenging semifinals+ in CL if they signed suarez. I still don't get how Liverpool got around that release clause? Any know how? 

the liverpool owner john henry decided a contract isnt worth the paper its written on, and apparently it was more of a gentlemans agreement.

19 hours ago, gharperr said:

Not sure if you're serious but 2nd was the challenge for arsenal this season with a clear title challenge

First is just a "bonus". They still have their injury crises and its legit ok if they don't finish first.  Any arsenal fan who thinks otherwise is just st00pid. Sacking a manager who hasn't got #1 netspend +wages is so silly if legit title challenge until the end.

Well it's their best chance for a long while. No one could've forseen Chelsea falling off a cliff, they'll be back up there next season. Liverpool or Spurs won't seriously challenge and Man. United are in turmoil and will probably have an open top parade with us if they win a game over xmas. If they get Mourinho in they'll probably win the league next season.

I think Arsenal will rest easy at night if they have to chase Leicester for rest of the season.

Having seen Man. City a few times now IMO they won't win the league if Kompany misses more games in the second half of the season, they just concede so many chances without him, teams are running through the middle. And an interesting thing could be a serious run in the CL, they're usually out by March so that could mess up a few of their league games.

This is the strongest Arsenal squad for a long while, when key players get injured Ozil and Ramsey step up, it's their time imo.

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

I have zero idea what any of that means ;)

Basically Koscienly is greatest of all time....not sure what the stadium move has to do with defending although it might be more linked to finance.

It is a genuine point you make though Zatman as it was only in 13/14 Arsenal were losing 6-3 at Man. City, 6-0 at Chelsea and 5-1 at Liverpool and I believe all 3 had GOATing Kos in the team.

On 22/12/2015 at 20:50, VillaChris said:

Basically Koscienly is greatest of all time....not sure what the stadium move has to do with defending although it might be more linked to finance.

It is a genuine point you make though Zatman as it was only in 13/14 Arsenal were losing 6-3 at Man. City, 6-0 at Chelsea and 5-1 at Liverpool and I believe all 3 had GOATing Kos in the team.

Well its not a genuine point when he makes it out this is first time arsenal has defended well in ages. But gg for you providing 3 fixtures of the previous X amount....

Edited by gharperr

On 22/12/2015 at 20:48, VillaChris said:

Well it's their best chance for a long while. No one could've forseen Chelsea falling off a cliff, they'll be back up there next season. Liverpool or Spurs won't seriously challenge and Man. United are in turmoil and will probably have an open top parade with us if they win a game over xmas. If they get Mourinho in they'll probably win the league next season.

I think Arsenal will rest easy at night if they have to chase Leicester for rest of the season.

Having seen Man. City a few times now IMO they won't win the league if Kompany misses more games in the second half of the season, they just concede so many chances without him, teams are running through the middle. And an interesting thing could be a serious run in the CL, they're usually out by March so that could mess up a few of their league games.

This is the strongest Arsenal squad for a long while, when key players get injured Ozil and Ramsey step up, it's their time imo.

Best chance but...Sooo...if Wenger encounters negative variance which is out of his hands which forces him to finish second then sack him like you said? If you believe that then that's just straight up st00pid. Such a casual way to think about it. If don't finish 1st + best "chance"(currently) then sack.

Edited by gharperr

16 hours ago, gharperr said:

Best chance but...Sooo...if Wenger encounters negative variance which is out of his hands which forces him to finish second then sack him like you said? If you believe that then that's just straight up st00pid. Such a casual way to think about it. If don't finish 1st + best "chance"(currently) then sack.

The board will never sack him. Tbh given his overall record like Fergie, he's earnt the right to go when he wants which will probably be in the next 18 months when his latest deal runs out.

It was a bit of an exaggeration to make a point but surely you realise this year is their best opportunity in a long while, have you not watched Man. City in the last 6 weeks?

Edited by VillaChris

Â