Barry for England?

Hanky

Should Gareth Barry be picked for England?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Should Gareth Barry be picked for England?

• Yes
    • No

From TeamTalk:

Aston Villa manager David O'Leary has urged England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson to throw Gareth Barry an international lifeline.

O'Leary believes he is finally seeing the player he received glowing reports upon prior to his Villa Park appointment almost two years ago. Barry would certainly appear to be back to his best, scoring eight goals this season, and has proved accommodating when required by O'Leary to drop back into defence over the course of the season.

Primarily now a left-sided midfielder, Barry has recently been forced to play at left-back, notably in the second half of the 3-2 win at Southampton and for the whole of the 1-1 home draw against Charlton.

When you consider England have never been blessed with naturally-gifted left-footed players, O'Leary feels Barry again deserves recognition.

"If you're an opposing player, you would love to see Gareth at left-back rather than on the left side of midfield," said O'Leary. "When he is at left-back it takes something away from us, but I know I've a player - and thank God I have a player - who can fill in as a quality left-back.

"On the international scene, with the way the game is played and where a full-back has to come into play more and be good on the ball, that is where he could do a really good job. I think Gareth could handle that no problem."

Should he be picked for England, IMO yes because he would be an excellent squad member who can play in almost any position.

I voted no becouse I don't think he is good enough. He is gifed with good teqnique all over and has mental strength, but he lacks pace, which is very important for a winger. I think he can improve alot, cos along with Laursen, he has been our best player the last couple of months.

Btw, somehow I think he will fit better into the center of the pitch.

He certainly has the skill.

His lack of pace and Athleticism would hinder him in international football imo.

He may well be worth a place in the squad but no the 1st XI.

He is however better than Stuart 'The Hype' Downing who, in the games I have seen recently (including against us when he did not get a kick against UDLC) looks to have been found out and, ends up cutting in on his weaker right foot everytime he has the ball.

Yes because on form he would provide many options for the team. He isnt a first choice winger for a major footballing european nation but he is the closest thing Englnad have had for several years.

Downing may or may not change this. For me though he would've been in the squad for versatility alone and pushing for a first team place on the left side. He may not be the perfect solution but he would be better than most of the toss played over the last few years.

Arguably it's taken him 18 months of poor form to get over his last snub for England.

These new calls for his inclusion may very well affect him in the same way.

Oleary in praising player shock.

I thought he wasn't supposed to do this.

Mind you its questionable whether he's being serious

In days gone bye he'd have been a decent bet for the left sided playmaker but in todays side, I question whether he'd have enough time on the ball against the better sides and whether his lack of mobility would fit the style now employed.

One thing for sure, he's developing well under O'Leary and has most recently added a knack of arriving late in the penalty area effectively.

Where are tha BBB's now.

As a Villa-supporter and an England-supporter when it comes to International teams (next to Norway that is....)... I would be kind of worried if Barry entered the line-up. Barry instead of Downing? Give me a break. Barry is amongst the 10 best left midfielders in England, but England LACKS left midfielders and that says it all.

No, couldn't care less about England anymore. International football bores the arse off me and just serves to tire our players, they're a good bunch of lads but they get little enough time to recouperate with our small squad

As a Villa-supporter and an England-supporter when it comes to International teams (next to Norway that is....)... I would be kind of worried if Barry entered the line-up. Barry instead of Downing? Give me a break. Barry is amongst the 10 best left midfielders in England, but England LACKS left midfielders and that says it all.

Seriously Allstar Downing just isn't that good.

Decent left footed players are always at a premium (especially English ones) and he has been hyped up because of this. If he played right side he would be nowhere near that squad.

All these people singing Downing's praises, have they actually seen him play much?

He aint as good as you might think.

Of course i'd like to see Barry play for England, he's good enough alright.

Anyway i always thought it was an honour for the club (and it's fans) of a player who is picked to play for England, you know something to gloat about. Can't believe there's so many Villa fans on here saying they wouldn't like to see him play for England.

The mind boggles :?

Its simple, I support Villa and couldn't give a stuff about Engerland anymore, international football is boring and it seems to get in the squad these days you have to be nice to Mr Beckham and his pet poodle Sven

Where's the honour in playing for an England team thats more aboput marketing and profile advancement than actual results on the pitch. The England team these days exists to line the pockets of the FA and the players in the Beckham club, I'd rather our players weren't involved in that tbh

I know it's a while back, but he did well for England every time he played.

He's good enough, he's back in form (Downing is out of form, and not as good anyway)

I think Sven just doesn't want, with beckham on the right, 2 wide players both lacking in pace. With 2 small forwards, crossing into the box is not the way England play, which Erikson likes to be with pace on the break and balls in to the feet of the strikers, or for them to run on to.

With a different England manager he'd have a lot of caps by now.

Â