Building a PC?

PongRiddims

I'm jelly. What parts did you end up with?

Mobo - Asus GRYPHON Z97 Armor Edition

CPU - I5

GFX - Geforce 960

PSU - Corsair Builder Series CX 600 Watt 

Case - Corsair CC-9011041-WW Carbide Series 200R Windowed Compact ATX Performance Computer Case - Black

RAM - 2 x 4GB

Running trial version of Windows 10 currently. Played a brief game of FM, everything turned up to full, using huge database, the thing doesn't even break sweat, it absolutely tanks through every aspect of the game!

Setup was so easy too, the BIOS was mouse friendly and gave you details on absolutely everything, which fans were working, internal temperature, the whole lot.

I think the next step is a new monitor, I'm running it through an old 720 TV at the minute so probably not getting all I want from the GFX card yet.

• Like 1

Similar to what I have, really. I've got i5-2500k and GTX 970 (don't really know why.. I don't need it. I convinced my self somehow). You had no issues at all? That's not bad for a first attempt. There's always something that goes wrong for me.

I recently got a new monitor. Don't make the same mistake as I did and get a "large" 2560x1440. I thought the resolution would be okay as I was going from a 22" to a 25", but it's just slightly wider than my old one. Now everything is tiny, and not every software gives you the option of increasing the size of user interface, like all the ones I use for my work :)

Similar to what I have, really. I've got i5-2500k and GTX 970 (don't really know why.. I don't need it. I convinced my self somehow). You had no issues at all? That's not bad for a first attempt. There's always something that goes wrong for me.

I recently got a new monitor. Don't make the same mistake as I did and get a "large" 2560x1440. I thought the resolution would be okay as I was going from a 22" to a 25", but it's just slightly wider than my old one. Now everything is tiny, and not every software gives you the option of increasing the size of user interface, like all the ones I use for my work [emoji4]

Only problem I had was I plugged the optional cpu fan instead of the main one first time around, that was it, I'll be honest I was surprised myself how easy it was, maybe beginners luck? :)

I'm gonna have to put some research into the monitor I think, the screen I'm using now isn't as bad as I thought it might be but not ideal.

So how much would a gaming PC capable of running let's say Fallout 4 on full settings cost these days?  For someone who makes their living on these things, I'm way way out of touch with modern specs.  Even though PompeyVillan's Linus youtube channel sounds like it could be fun, I'd probably rather just throw money at the thing for an instant fix :)

So how much would a gaming PC capable of running let's say Fallout 4 on full settings cost these days?  For someone who makes their living on these things, I'm way way out of touch with modern specs.  Even though PompeyVillan's Linus youtube channel sounds like it could be fun, I'd probably rather just throw money at the thing for an instant fix [emoji4]

I must have spent close to £700 so BOF, but I think it'll last me a loooooooong time. I was speaking to someone the other day who spent over £2000

That's in and around what a mate of mine has said.  To basically budget ~£750 and then just keep up with the graphics card technology after that.

That's in and around what a mate of mine has said.  To basically budget ~£750 and then just keep up with the graphics card technology after that.

Yeah I don't think you'll struggle with that budget at all mate

It's slowed down a bit recent years

My CPU was a budget model when I got it 4 years ago and it's still good enough. Infact not much seperate it from the high-end consumer cpu's even now.

Up until this summer I was using a GTX 550ti, which people will probably gift you for free, and it was still running most games on medium and acceptable frame rates. The only games I struggled with was beta and alpha games that wasn't fully optimized.

• 1 month later...

Just built a PC yesterday but there is no display and no beeps on startup. Everything else like the LEDs and fans work but I'm totally stumped at what to do now. I've made sure everything is plugged in correctly but to no avail :(

No beeps is probably a good sign.

Does your mobo have onboard graphics? If so try disabling it in bios, and double check that your screen's actually connected to the GPU. You could also try the opposite, and disable the GPU and plug your monitor in to the onboard graphics to see if it's a problem with the card, if your bios allows it, or remove the card if not. Has the monitor (and video cable) been used on another PC, you're sure they both work? I'm assuming you've double and triple checked that the card is firmly pressed in to place, and the PCIe cable is connected at both ends? Including the second power cable if your card needs one?

Edited by Davkaus

The graphics card is the only thing that I haven't taken out again but I tried putting the HDMI into the motherboard instead but that was with the graphics card still connected. 

I'm gutted though as I spent a lot of money on this and will have no idea what to do if my next attempt fails. 

By the way, I can't get into the bios as there is no display. 

Sounds a bit like your graphic card isn't getting the power it needs. Have you connected the extra cable usually needed for the oumpf? Its one of these 6 port connectors, either directly from the power-supply or borrow one from the sata power connectors and convert it.

UT8In5CXaVcXXagOFbX7.jpg

1 hour ago, Tegis said:

Sounds a bit like your graphic card isn't getting the power it needs. Have you connected the extra cable usually needed for the oumpf? Its one of these 6 port connectors, either directly from the power-supply or borrow one from the sata power connectors and convert it.

UT8In5CXaVcXXagOFbX7.jpg

I don't think it's the graphics card as I've just taken that out and tried using the onboard graphics and it's still the same. I've now tried swapping the RAM around, leaving either RAM in on its own, taken out the graphics card, resitting the CPU and heat sink multiple times, rewired the cables to the motherboard etc etc. Left in just the CPU, PSU and motherboard and still no display or beeps.

This sucks. £1k down the shitter

Edited by villarule123

22 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

I don't think it's the graphics card as I've just taken that out and tried using the onboard graphics and it's still the same. I've now tried swapping the RAM around, leaving either RAM in on its own, taken out the graphics card, resitting the CPU and heat sink multiple times, rewired the cables to the motherboard etc etc. Left in just the CPU, PSU and motherboard and still no display or beeps.

This sucks. £1k down the shitter

Is there anything in the motherboard manual / quick start guide about resetting the BIOS / clearing the CMOS?

You normally take the power out, find something that says CLEAR_RTC or JBATT etc on the mainboard with 3 pins. You move the jumper connecting 2 pins to connect the other pin for a few seconds then back. That'd be my first call.

After that, try every graphics connection you can. I've never used HDMI on a PC so I'm not sure of the monitor detection capability but try every HDMI socket you can find. Make sure the graphics card is fully pushed home.

I assume you also left the RAM in as well when testing?

Do you have DVI or VGA on a monitor to try instead of HDMI?

Finally, it may be worth taking a photo of inside the PC and posting it just in case something not immediately obvious to you is out of place.

It's not £1000 down the drain, it's more than likely that either the motherboard or GPU are badly configured or faulty.

If you've bought new components you can exchange them if they are faulty. If they are incorrectly configured or installed someone here will be able to help you.

On 1.1.2016 at 18:10, limpid said:

Have you connected a speaker?

That's a good point... If the little connectors are not place right there won't be a beep code to determined the problem.

internal-speakers.jpg

From what you describe it sounds like there's just no image coming through to the monitor, which can be something simple like a faulty cable, or wrong motherboard setting (reset it by removing the little circular battery) or driver issue, but if no sound is coming through you wouldn't know it the issue was with the ram, gfx card or whatever

Â