Building a PC?

PongRiddims

On 1/1/2016 at 09:08, villarule123 said:

Just built a PC yesterday but there is no display and no beeps on startup. Everything else like the LEDs and fans work but I'm totally stumped at what to do now. I've made sure everything is plugged in correctly but to no avail :(

Is it your first build?

This is usually a guide to whether you have made mistakes or not, or something is DOA.

Had a PC guy come round earlier and he said that the CPU is most likely faulty, if not, the motherboard. The CPU light comes up on the motherboard when turned on which is says shouldn't happen in the manual. It was bought from Dabs who have no customer service line and only respond to forms submitted online... I knew I should have ordered it from Amazon.

14 hours ago, villarule123 said:

Had a PC guy come round earlier and he said that the CPU is most likely faulty, if not, the motherboard. The CPU light comes up on the motherboard when turned on which is says shouldn't happen in the manual. It was bought from Dabs who have no customer service line and only respond to forms submitted online... I knew I should have ordered it from Amazon.

Does it post?

Just now, villarule123 said:

Nope, no beeps or display, just fans and LED lights. 

What I would do is disconnect the drives and remove the graphics card.

Make sure the memory is plugged into the recommended slots (both the same colour).

Make sure the 8 pin cpu and 24 pin power leads are seated properly- if modular check they are in the right PSU sockets.

Make sure the CPU fan is plugged into the right fan header.

Plug in your monitor and turn on and try to get into the set-up by pressing the right key (see manual).

If you get into set-up, check all the memory is shown and make sure the onboard graphics are selected (plugging in a gfx card automatically disables the onboard on some boards).

@MakemineVanilla

I had a tech guy round last night and he couldn't do anything and said that I did everything right and the only tests he did were the ones I had already done. Something is faulty and its either the CPU or the motherboard. I've taken the graphics card out, switched RAM around, taken out the SSD, had only the CPU, motherboard and RAM plugged in and still the same. 

I've filled out a returns form (it was bought from dabs.co.uk) so I'll hopefully get either replaced soon. 

46 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

@MakemineVanilla

I had a tech guy round last night and he couldn't do anything and said that I did everything right and the only tests he did were the ones I had already done. Something is faulty and its either the CPU or the motherboard. I've taken the graphics card out, switched RAM around, taken out the SSD, had only the CPU, motherboard and RAM plugged in and still the same. 

I've filled out a returns form (it was bought from dabs.co.uk) so I'll hopefully get either replaced soon. 

Okay!

Got a CPU replacement today... Still does the same thing :lol:

It has to be the motherboard, which is coming tomorrow. If it isn't, I might just send the whole lot back and stay with my stress free laptop and forget all about building a PC. 

Â