The banker loving, baby-eating Tory party thread (regenerated)

blandy

Just now, choffer said:

Desperate times:

I don’t see how they can justify another change in PM without a GE. Whilst they technically can, it would just look terrible and likely cause the complete and utter collapse of the party. It would also likely lead to a number of MPs who are so desperate to keep their jobs that they either join another party or create their own. Pushing the Tories further down the path of their own destruction.

Shame :popcorn:

5 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I don’t see how they can justify another change in PM without a GE. Whilst they technically can, it would just look terrible and likely cause the complete and utter collapse of the party. It would also likely lead to a number of MPs who are so desperate to keep their jobs that they either join another party or create their own. Pushing the Tories further down the path of their own destruction.

Shame :popcorn:

They can do it if they can all agree on someone to stand behind. The question then is "what then?". So May takes over as PM, do they then have another long drawn out Tory XFactor where they'll tear strips off each other and we get a PM from one side of the party and the other then goes ballistic like now. Or even worse, we get someone even less competent than Truss, because we've just proved that the Tory golf-club-member types clearly can't be trusted to elect someone remotely credible. Does May stay and fight an election?

It's all just such a **** mess. It'll only be sorted by a GE, which the Tories will not allow for another 18 months because they know they'll get massacred. Utterly selfish. I really hope the country doesn't forget what these scumbags have done.

Also, I was thinking about this earlier today. We've technically not had a government in 2022 at all. They spent Q1 talking about all the parties they had and defending sexual predators, Q2 holding a talent show for posh pricks and Q3 destorying the economy and each other.

10 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

They can do it if they can all agree on someone to stand behind. The question then is "what then?". So May takes over as PM, do they then have another long drawn out Tory XFactor where they'll tear strips off each other and we get a PM from one side of the party and the other then goes ballistic like now. Or even worse, we get someone even less competent than Truss, because we've just proved that the Tory golf-club-member types clearly can't be trusted to elect someone remotely credible. Does May stay and fight an election?

There's nothing they can really do that doesn't make it worse for them.

Their issue is that the members favour Johnson or Sunak, but neither of those two is palatable to the other (and their supporters) so cannot be just anointed - as enough MPs and members will kick off, setting off another round of fighting. 

But if you were Johnson or Sunak, why would you let the unity candidate of Hunt / Mordaunt just become PM, when you'd be confident of beating them with the members?

Edited by ml1dch

I genuinely think they will bring Boris back. 

As far as my dad is concerned it was the media that got rid of Boris and not a vote of no confidence from his own MPs.

All will be forgiven/completely forgotten because they didn’t realise post Boris could be this shit. 

3 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

There's nothing they can really do that doesn't make it worse for them.

Their issue is that the members favour Johnson or Sunak, but neither of those two is palatable to the other (and their supporters) so cannot be just anointed - as enough MPs and members will kick off, setting off another round of fighting. 

But if you were Johnson or Sunak, why would you let the unity candidate of Hunt / Mordaunt just become PM, when you'd be confident of beating them with the members?

Has anyone managed to ask Johnson what he thinks about coming back? Surely from a purely financial point of view it's not in his interest now be can go make thousands on the speaking cicuit? Has he even been to parliament since he got dumped? He doesn't strike me as the "forgive and forget" type either, quite the opposite.

Also, if you were the "unity candidate", and I'd heard Ben Wallace's name mentioned, what's the advantage of taking over as captain of a ship that's clearly going down?

36 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

It's all just such a **** mess. It'll only be sorted by a GE, which the Tories will not allow for another 18 months because they know they'll get massacred. Utterly selfish. I really hope the country doesn't forget what these scumbags have done.

The longer this goes on, MPs will realise that they are going to be out of a job soon, or many of them anyway. Now, given the absolute shit show that we have, many of those MPs will know that they will find it hard to actually get a job after their defeat. Those cushy directorates / advisory jobs will just not be there such is the level of hatred for them. They know this. A lot of them may draw the conclusion that it is better to be responsible for bringing the shitshow down than it is to just meekly sit it out.

How they do that and how they pull it off I don't know but don't assume that sitting it out to the bitter end will be the only endgame in town

Just now, The Fun Factory said:

Graham Brady is truly the iron horse of politics. The poor man doesn't have time to have a nice rest as probably has to organise yet another leadership election.

Well it'll keep him in the news as he's high on the losing his seat list.. He only has a 6K majority

24 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Has anyone managed to ask Johnson what he thinks about coming back? Surely from a purely financial point of view it's not in his interest now be can go make thousands on the speaking cicuit?

He can do that anytime- he wants to be Prime Minister and thinks that it's rather beastly that he doesn't get to do it anymore.

If he wasn't planning to come back, he'd have quit Parliament.  He's not hanging about to provide scrutiny of policy from the back-benches.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

He can do that anytime- he wants to be Prime Minister and thinks that it's rather beastly that he doesn't get to do it anymore.

If he wasn't planning to come back, he'd have quit Parliament.  He's not hanging about to provide scrutiny of policy from the back-benches.

Why would he quit his £84,000 per year job as a backbench MP when he doesn't have to turn up or do anything?

1 minute ago, bickster said:

Well it'll keep him in the news as he's high on the losing his seat list.. He only has a 6K majority

I've still never stayed up much beyond the exit poll for a General Election as it's always felt a bit depressing.  

It's going to be a long two years waiting for the enjoyment of seeing all these terrible people get beaten.

Assuming we're all still alive then and elections still exist.

5 minutes ago, desensitized43 said:

Why would he quit his £84,000 per year job as a backbench MP when he doesn't have to turn up or do anything?

The same reason that every single one of his recent predecessors (apart from Theresa May) did. It's what former Prime Ministers do these days.

They've been in charge, they don't hang around to be reminded that they're not anymore. Particularly someone as vain and hubristic as Johnson. 

Edited by ml1dch

5 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

I've still never stayed up much beyond the exit poll for a General Election as it's always felt a bit depressing.  

It's going to be a long two years waiting for the enjoyment of seeing all these terrible people get beaten.

I think this time I'll be booking the next day off work and will have a good stock of red wine and nibbles in

There may even be popcorn

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ml1dch said:

'97 was brilliant.  25 years of depressing election nights since!

• Like 3

Â