Relegation Thread Version...99?!

jackbauer24

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think the question is, does anyone think we'd be in the situation we are now if we'd binned Sherwood and brought in Garde for the pre-season?

I don't think we'd be drastically better off but I don't think we'd be bottom and so many points away from safety either.

Stefan. Can you please not yoink my posts? 

Cheeky devil. :P

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

I think the question is, does anyone think we'd be in the situation we are now if we'd binned Sherwood and brought in Garde for the pre-season?

I don't think we'd be drastically better off but I don't think we'd be bottom and so many points away from safety either.

Hard one to call, since we sacked Sherwood and replaced him with Garde we are actually in a worse position and are now more points from safety than we were after a so called run of "easier" games.

If we had got Garde in pre season with all his Lyon backroom team it may have been different. Garde appears to have had little impact at all since arriving so I can't help wondering if he is a little lost without his coaches?

58 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

The biggest issue for me, and i'll admit that it's in hindsight but I know a lot of others did raise it at the time, is that someone with no experience in the transfer market seemingly had the final say on our biggest and most important squad overhaul in years.

Shocking decision.

I said similar at the time.

Not as a criticism of Sherwood, but more as a reason why our oh-so-maligned net spend was so low this summer.

Sherwood had never bought a football player. If Randy had put aside 25 million (that's a random number for the purposes of this discussion) and then received the Benteke and Delph money on top, would it really be sensible to let a manager with such little transfer market experience, and experience building a team in general, spend every single penny of it.

I said in the summer I didn't think we'd spent our whole budget and I still think we didn't. It's a hunch more than anything but I can see why Sherwood wouldn't have been given the entire budget at once.

5 minutes ago, KHV said:

Hard one to call, since we sacked Sherwood and replaced him with Garde we are actually in a worse position and are now more points from safety than we were after a so called run of "easier" games.

If we had got Garde in pre season with all his Lyon backroom team it may have been different. Garde appears to have had little impact at all since arriving so I can't help wondering if he is a little lost without his coaches?

We might be in a worse position, but the points gained are very similar (identical, in fact, IIRC). it's more that teams around us have picked up more points rather than us picking up less.

Garde has had 4 "easier" games recently, but the games before that weren't easy at all. I'd say Sherwood's fixtures this season have been easier overall than Garde's.

As for the coaches, it's a valid point. But one that I imagine a lot of managers would struggle with. Hell one of the reasons people said Sherwood struggled was because he couldn't bring Chris Ramsey with him.

I wonder if the plan is to still bring Garde's preferred staff in eventually?

Just now, Stevo985 said:

We might be in a worse position, but the points gained are very similar (identical, in fact, IIRC). it's more that teams around us have picked up more points rather than us picking up less.

Garde has had 4 "easier" games recently, but the games before that weren't easy at all. I'd say Sherwood's fixtures this season have been easier overall than Garde's.

As for the coaches, it's a valid point. But one that I imagine a lot of managers would struggle with. Hell one of the reasons people said Sherwood struggled was because he couldn't bring Chris Ramsey with him.

I wonder if the plan is to still bring Garde's preferred staff in eventually?

On your last point, I really hope the answer to that is yes. I think that would benefit Garde, therefore it would benefit Aston Villa. I think it's something the club should be doing and it should be made a high priority.

However what Aston Villa should do and what Aston Villa actually do are two very different things at times :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I said similar at the time.

Not as a criticism of Sherwood, but more as a reason why our oh-so-maligned net spend was so low this summer.

Sherwood had never bought a football player. If Randy had put aside 25 million (that's a random number for the purposes of this discussion) and then received the Benteke and Delph money on top, would it really be sensible to let a manager with such little transfer market experience, and experience building a team in general, spend every single penny of it.

I said in the summer I didn't think we'd spent our whole budget and I still think we didn't. It's a hunch more than anything but I can see why Sherwood wouldn't have been given the entire budget at once.

I think Sherwood was given his budget and that came to less than £10 million for Gestede, Lescott and maybe Bunn. 

As it stands and the way we are playing, with the squad we have. I am dreading the Championship to be honest, pureley because I think we will struggle to get promoted and seeing our great club stuck outside the Premier for more than a season will be both frustrating and upsetting.

Having said that, If we make some marked improvement over the rest of the season and make some decent signings I think I will look forward to it and being competitive again!

I'd  rather that than stay up by the skin of our teeth and go through the whole thing again next season. part of thinks it would be better long terms to go down! dont know if anyone agrees with that but just my gut feeling.

Though who knows what will happen.

Just want to see some passion and fight dammit!!

9 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Nothing is too ridiculous this year. We're almost certainly getting relegated. People are freaking out. It's open season for desperate words from desperate supporters. Even people who aren't freaking, well, they might just be the worst of the bunch lol.

He's implying that DDID actively wants to support a lower league team. How is that not a ridiculous comment?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Zatman said:

when Sherwood was here we were getting poor results with good players which a good manager would turnaround

Garde takes over and the previous manager bought shit players and thats why we are crap :crylaugh:

Can people not change their mind? It's obvious now that the players are useless. Doesn't make Sherwood any less of a useless Berk either.

You must feel proud though, y'know, high up there and never being incorrect. *bows before zatman*

57 minutes ago, Zatman said:

when Sherwood was here we were getting poor results with good players which a good manager would turnaround

Garde takes over and the previous manager bought shit players and thats why we are crap :crylaugh:

nail on head

we signed a load of relatively unknowns but because they had a foreign name they sounded good and a lot of people got excited, reality is the team is just not good enough at the moment. maybe a couple of seasons in the prem and they would be much better but unfortunately time waits for no one and it looks like they wont get the chance to play together in the prem again. most of us kind of knew sherwood was probably not the right choice, then we have garde who personally did not excite me and is still to prove anything but he needs more time. do we keep garde if we go down? depends if we improve any, if we go down but give it a real fight then yes id keep him but if we keep going the way we are then hes obviously not up to the job.

47 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

we signed a load of relatively unknowns but because they had a foreign name they sounded good and a lot of people got excited, reality is the team is just not good enough at the moment. maybe a couple of seasons in the prem and they would be much better but unfortunately time waits for no one and it looks like they wont get the chance to play together in the prem again. most of us kind of knew sherwood was probably not the right choice, then we have garde who personally did not excite me and is still to prove anything but he needs more time. do we keep garde if we go down? depends if we improve any, if we go down but give it a real fight then yes id keep him but if we keep going the way we are then hes obviously not up to the job.

That's not true at all though. For the most part, they were rated quite highly and actually most of them have been the better performers this season.

45 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

we signed a load of relatively unknowns but because they had a foreign name they sounded good ...

If we'd actually followed such a policy ... there's comedy sketch there, a good one.

I would pick ... Hulk, one of the Yayas, and maybe Sven Bender?

Just now, Mantis said:

That's not true at all though. For the most part, they were rated quite highly and actually most of them have been the better performers this season.

every sod is rated these days. not saying they have all been bad but look where we stand.

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

He's implying that DDID actively wants to support a lower league team. How is that not a ridiculous comment?

It's ridiculous. In a ridiculous season. Which makes it a little less ridiculous, but that's just me.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

Just now, Rugeley Villa said:

every sod is rated these days. not saying they have all been bad but look where we stand.

They're really not. Whether you like it or not players like Veretout, Gueye and Amavi (especially Amavi) were all highly rated and performed very well last season. That's why people were excited, not because they were foreign.

Where we stand is down to a number of factors. I wouldn't say anybody has done really well but it seems a bit churlish to pretend that they were all just poor purchases when some of them weren't.

Â