The Chairman Mao resembling, Monarchy hating, threat to Britain, Labour Party thread

Demitri_C

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

Is it possible that the Labour party could run the next GE campaign on an 'in Europe' ticket in the hope of collecting millions of votes from people of all political persuasions who are strongly in favour of being in the EU? I assume the UK will have completed Article 50 and left the EU by then, but there is an 'Article' for entering the EU.

I don't think so. If we've left then they'd have to make a case for the Euro along with a case for the EU and I think the former would me a hundred times more difficult than the latter.

4 minutes ago, brommy said:

Is it possible that the Labour party could run the next GE campaign on an 'in Europe' ticket in the hope of collecting millions of votes from people of all political persuasions who are strongly in favour of being in the EU? I assume the UK will have completed Article 50 and left the EU by then, but there is an 'Article' for entering the EU.

It would presumably involve adopting the Euro so a back in vote is a no go as long as the new Tory leader triggers article 50 and sees through the term to 2020

plus you'd need a new labour leader as Corbyn is a leaver anyway :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, snowychap said:

I don't think so. If we've left then they'd have to make a case for the Euro along with a case for the EU and I think the former would me a hundred times more difficult than the latter.

Is it now in the EU's own rules that any new members must adopt the Euro?

6 hours ago, brommy said:

Is it now in the EU's own rules that any new members must adopt the Euro?

I don't know.

I think all member states have to adopt it (once criteria are met) save for us and Denmark who negotiated an opt-out. I doubt that an official opt-out would be on the table for any re-entry negotiations but perhaps one could rejoin and not adopt the Euro if one doesn't meet the necessary criteria.

Come together..... Now

Come together..... Now

Forced them back...

Forced them back...

I feel genuinely sorry for the guy he seems like a decent chap but you just know someone like swede mason is going to have fun remixing this video

Edited by AshVilla

if any of the Angela Eagle coup brigade would like to challenge any of the facts or stats in that video I'd be interested to hear it

should be campaigning on schools and jobs and stuff people are interested in and impacted by, not dicking about looking for the next smart suited war criminal 

• Like 2

Good on Corbyn. Bring it on.

He's been a very successful leader of the labour party, yet apparently he's 'unelectable' according to the blairite briefed media and its consumers.

Angela Eagle is calling on Corbyn to stand down now so she doesn't have to make a challenge. How about you follow the procedure and let the party decide who should be the leader?

Blair and his cronies are sickening for letting the Tories off the hook right now. Almost as if they're doing it on purpose ..

• Like 1

Just now, darrenm said:

In what way?

I think he failed with the EU referendum. Labour voters did not back him. I thought he was a pretty poor campaigner for the in camp. Also for some bizarre reason he wouldn't share same platform as Cameron. I thought that was pretty pathetic to be honest 

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think he failed with the EU referendum. Labour voters did not back him. I thought he was a pretty poor campaigner for the in camp. Also for some bizarre reason he wouldn't share same platform as Cameron. I thought that was pretty pathetic to be honest 

But that's completely wrong. He did back the remain campaign, quite vociferously compared to his previous misgivings on the EU. He didn't stray from his line that we should remain in the EU to have the best chance to reform it. 65% of Labour voters voted remain so they absolutely did back him.

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

But that's completely wrong. He did back the remain campaign, quite vociferously compared to his previous misgivings on the EU. He didn't stray from his line that we should remain in the EU to have the best chance to reform it. 65% of Labour voters voted remain so they absolutely did back him.

Darren I don't think I am wrong on this mate. When you have the leader of the labour party saying he is "7- 7 1/2 out of Europe" doesn't sound very encouraging to Labour supporters. makes you sound like your heart isn't 100% in it and you don't believe in what your preaching about. I think even Gordon Brown did a better job than Corbyn in presenting the argument of staying in. 

2 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

LR-by-party-768x558.jpg

he did not lose the support of Labour voters

Looking at those statistics, if Corbyn is under pressure to resign due to the 'performance' of Labour voters in the referendum, why isn't Sturgeon under pressure to resign after more than 1 in 3 SNP voters went against her?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Darren I don't think I am wrong on this mate. When you have the leader of the labour party saying he is "7- 7 1/2 out of Europe" doesn't sound very encouraging to Labour supporters. makes you sound like your heart isn't 100% in it and you don't believe in what your preaching about. I think even Gordon Brown did a better job than Corbyn in presenting the argument of staying in. 

He didn't. He said we was 7.5/10 in favour of the EU. I was watching it, when he was saying 'we should stay in the EU' on the extremely pro-EU The Last Leg on channel 4.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Corbyn was asked to put a number out of 10 on what he thought of the EU. His score 7 to 7.5 reflected that he was in favour of being in the EU but it wasn't perfect and needed some reform. Pretty much what most of the Conservative party campaigned to Remain on.

Mrs H uttered those words that no man likes to hear last night 

" I quite like Corbyn at least he sounds genuine "

I sent her back to the kitchen to get my tea and hopefully she wont offer an opinion again  ....

6 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Mrs H uttered those words that no man likes to hear last night 

" I quite like Corbyn at least he sounds genuine "

I sent her back to the kitchen to get my tea and hopefully she wont offer an opinion again  ....

I think she's plotting to oust you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brommy said:

Looking at those statistics, if Corbyn is under pressure to resign due to the 'performance' of Labour voters in the referendum, why isn't Sturgeon under pressure to resign after more than 1 in 3 SNP voters went against her?

Because SNP actually have people voting for them, so 64% of SNP voters in Scotland is more than probably 100% of the Labour voters in Scotland. 

Also the referendum required politicians to appeal to all voters, not just their core demographic. Like say a General Election, instead of conference of party members. 

25 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Because SNP actually have people voting for them, so 64% of SNP voters in Scotland is more than probably 100% of the Labour voters in Scotland. 

Also the referendum required politicians to appeal to all voters, not just their core demographic. Like say a General Election, instead of conference of party members. 

That still doesn't explain the criticism Corbyn has faced because of the referendum result. Labour voters backed their party's stance as much as SNP voters.

• Like 1

Â