Star Wars Battlefront 3

packoman

Well if this is dull, i don't know what you were expecting lol

Something different? It's less skilled than BF to play.  Its like a CoD / BF hybrid in a star wars skin.  There's nothing fun about that.  Its all been done before without the lasers 

Remove the Star Wars skin and place the setting in any generic modern warfare type place and this game would be getting slated imo. 

Maybe you're finding it more fun to play because of the Star Wars skin?  I dunno,  doesn't quite cut it for me.  

Edited by PieFacE

Again, maybe my view is warped because I've only played the one game mode (the pod thing where you have to secure pods that land throughout the map), but I agree with the above. 

Nothing really sets it apart for me. It's fun, but the only thing that makes it different form any other FPS is the "skin" as pieface put it. Which to be fair is quite entertaining, but I think once the novelty of that wears off you'll be left with a very generic game.

but maybe better game modes would change that.

Okay, what would you do differently? 
You wouldn't go down the Rainbow Six: Siege road, because that's way too small of a scale.

You wouldn't go BF4 mode because the skill level is probably slightly too high, there's too many weapons (cheese) & gadgets, some of which are just there to annoy players.  High dependency on team work through objective play.

COD is COD, it's small scale arcade shooter.  Little, to no teamwork.

Would you go the ARMA way? Absolutely huge maps (25km X 25km), 100 people to fill it (mega sparse), realistic (unquantifiable) recoil, accuracy etc?

Do  you go Red Orchestra, which is grubby looking (realistic, war torn maps) and 1 shot (maybe 2 shot) kills to promote realism?

Or do you go the Battlefront way? Fun, face paced, large levels, multiple types of combat (infantry, Vehicles, Jets, Heroes) try and promote team work through objective game play? 

I understand the frustration of game modes missing from previous iterations, DICE have done that on more than one occasion and it does grate.

But I don't think that takes anything away from what is a blast of a game.

Again, maybe my view is warped because I've only played the one game mode (the pod thing where you have to secure pods that land throughout the map), but I agree with the above. 

Nothing really sets it apart for me. It's fun, but the only thing that makes it different form any other FPS is the "skin" as pieface put it. Which to be fair is quite entertaining, but I think once the novelty of that wears off you'll be left with a very generic game.

but maybe better game modes would change that.

You need to play Walker Assault.  You're playing the COD Domination game mode by playing Pod Defence or whatever it is called. 

Also, this isn't a FPS, it can be, but it can also be 3rd Person Shooter.  When you spawn, hold DOWN on the DIRECTIONAL PAD to go into 3rd person.  This gives you a much wider field of view, but it also means that you can hit rocks/scenery instead of your target because of perspective. 

I use 3rd person constantly.

Yeah that's what I thought, I'll try the walker thingamajig.

The pod thing has nothing star wars about it. That's what i'd emphasise in your question above about how to make it different. It needs to have gamemodes that are star wars. Spaceships or jedis or lightsabres or drones or something. i dunno, I'm not a game designer, but it needs something to distinguish it as a star wars game other than the fact you're shooting blasters instead of bullets.

Running around shooting guns at someone else running around shooting guns isn't very star wars in my opinion. That's my problem with it. It's fun, but it feels very generic so far.

Yeah that's what I thought, I'll try the walker thingamajig.

The pod thing has nothing star wars about it. That's what i'd emphasise in your question above about how to make it different. It needs to have gamemodes that are star wars. Spaceships or jedis or lightsabres or drones or something. i dunno, I'm not a game designer, but it needs something to distinguish it as a star wars game other than the fact you're shooting blasters instead of bullets.

Running around shooting guns at someone else running around shooting guns isn't very star wars in my opinion. That's my problem with it. It's fun, but it feels very generic so far.

Play walker assault, you can drive AT-ST's, pilot AT-AT's/Tie Fighters/X Wings/A Wings/Land Speeders/Elite Tie Fighters, Control Darth Vader/Luke Skywalker, man turrets.

That's about it.

I have to say, whenever I hear a Thermal Imploder go off, I get a hard-on.  Must be the best sound effect ever, surely? 

I want to have sex with that noise.

• Like 2

Can't they just make a new Rogue Squadron but with the capability to do online multiplayer? Doing huge space dogfights with 16 or more people would be awesome. You could have different ships each with different objectives, you could make and name your own squadrons with your mates and play against other squadrons, there's loads they could do with it. The generic FPS shooter market is more than oversaturated, this'd be something a little different and would fulfil Star Wars fan's wet dreams.

The vehicle bits in Battlefront have always been my favourite part but in the beta it was so hard to find the pickups before someone else did and they didn't last long enough. The controls were naff too.

Edited by Ginko

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I got home from work today, hoping to find the game in my letterbox a day early... No such luck!

I've been reading a few preview reviews though, and the list of game modes is getting me excited:

Fighter Squadron - Battle it out in the sky.

Cargo - Capture the Flag with Cargo and ships.

Hero Hunt - Play as the Hero that everyone wants to kill. Killer takes over as the new Hero.

Supremacy - Capture bases and points of control.

Walker Assault - Stop the Imperial Walkers.

Blast - Team Deathmatch for Star Wars fans.

Drop Zone - Control escape pods that drop from space.

Droid Run - Domination style gameplay with moving droids.

Heroes vs Villains - Play with classic Star Wars heroes and villains while other players act as bodyguards.

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

I got home from work today, hoping to find the game in my letterbox a day early... No such luck!

I've been reading a few preview reviews though, and the list of game modes is getting me excited:

Fighter Squadron - Battle it out in the sky.

Cargo - Capture the Flag with Cargo and ships.

Hero Hunt - Play as the Hero that everyone wants to kill. Killer takes over as the new Hero.

Supremacy - Capture bases and points of control.

Walker Assault - Stop the Imperial Walkers.

Blast - Team Deathmatch for Star Wars fans.

Drop Zone - Control escape pods that drop from space.

Droid Run - Domination style gameplay with moving droids.

Heroes vs Villains - Play with classic Star Wars heroes and villains while other players act as bodyguards.

It's out on the 19th.

Â