The return of Safe Standing Issue

ianrobo1

Do you believe in safe standing  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in safe standing

• Yes
    • No

This isn't a reason I don't want it done. I'd be all for it. This is a reason why I can't see one of the powers that be taking a punt and backing it, because if something goes wrong they'll get the blame.

Totally agree. Nobody is going to be responsible for re-introducing standing and then being held accountable if there is either another Hillsbourgh or there is a rise in violence at football.

Further though what is the incentive for the Premier League clubs? They have spent huge amounts converting stands, building new ones or even building new grounds. The amount of money it would cost to convert these to terrace's would be massive and in some cases impossible.

And with dwindling attendences in th eleague anyway, surely a lot of the terraces wouldn't be full anyway, taking away from the atmosphere somewhat.

Yes tickets would be cheapr, but if clubs spent millions on converting to terrsacing, would they want to drop prices?

Also, do you think that in the 80s the terracing was referred to as 'unsafe standing'?

You'd never know if it was safe until it was in full use across the country, it wasnt the design of the old terracing that made it unsafe, but the actions of the people in and around it.

Exactly. It just doesn't make economic sense to spend millions taking the seats out and then charging less than they are currently charging. It would make more sense to lower ticket prices for seats and try and boost attendances that way if they are concerned with them.

Also, do you think that in the 80s the terracing was referred to as 'unsafe standing'?

You'd never know if it was safe until it was in full use across the country, it wasnt the design of the old terracing that made it unsafe, but the actions of the people in and around it.

This was my earlier point, or at least one I was trying to make. How will we know it's safe until another violent act or disaster happens?

It probably would be safe. But old terracing was "probably safe" and the new design of hillsborough with the pens was supposed to be safer, and look what happened.

People will still act the same way too, moving around to be in groups in certain areas, crush points (particularly behind the goal) when goals are scored...

You can't completely predict human behaviour - trying to do so will mean they miss a certain scenario or situation, which they havent designed for.

There is a petition going around at the minute as some Everton fans want a "standing section" put in the Gwladys Street for about 200-300 fans. They want this Kombi Seating thing Pic here installed as it's what is used in some German grounds.

Doubt it will happen though.

There is a petition going around at the minute as some Everton fans want a "standing section" put in the Gwladys Street for about 200-300 fans. They want this Kombi Seating thing Pic here installed as it's what is used in some German grounds.

That sort of seating looks ideal. Gives you the option of sitting down at halftime etc if the standing has got a bit much, and also doesn't really take up much room. Has the added safety element to of the stansion dividing the various terracing rows.

Looks both safe and practical to me .....

That sort of seating looks ideal. Gives you the option of sitting down at halftime etc if the standing has got a bit much, and also doesn't really take up much room. Has the added safety element to of the stansion dividing the various terracing rows.

Looks both safe and practical to me .....

If there is ANY chance of standing in top flight English football again - That Kombi seating is the way to go.

Not sure what is so difficult about allowing people to stand at footy games. Maybe I'm being a bit naive or I'm missing something, but what's wrong with the way it is now, except just being able to stand up? Like at away games.

-Stadiums don't over-crowd due to tickets still being sold on a person-per-seat basis.

-No crushes as people can't squeeze together as their are seats in the way.

I fail to see where the problem with this is. :?

Not sure what is so difficult about allowing people to stand at footy games. Maybe I'm being a bit naive or I'm missing something, but what's wrong with the way it is now, except just being able to stand up? Like at away games.

-Stadiums don't over-crowd due to tickets still being sold on a person-per-seat basis.

a. It's not safe as the seats can be classed as potentail hazards. You could easily celebrate a gold and fall forwards over the next row of seats etc ...

b. Some people who have paid to watch the game actually want to sit and watch the game. That's why they have seats. Not easy if others are standing.

If i have paid for a seat to watch the game, and the people in front of me are standing throughout, then i have to stand to watch the game also ......

b. Some people who have paid to watch the game actually want to sit and watch the game. That's why they have seats. Not easy if others are standing.

If i have paid for a seat to watch the game, and the people in front of me are standing throughout, then i have to stand to watch the game also ......

Thats the problem with us.

a. It's not safe as the seats can be classed as potentail hazards. You could easily celebrate a gold and fall forwards over the next row of seats etc ...

Disagree with point a. I'm sure 99% of people celebrate a goal by getting out of their seat, so they can be judged to be potential hazzards even then.

Point b. As some have already said, have Holte End standing, and the rest sitting or something, or just sections.

Disagree with point a. I'm sure 99% of people celebrate a goal by getting out of their seat, so they can be judged to be potential hazzards even then.

Point b. As some have already said, have Holte End standing, and the rest sitting or something, or just sections.

do you think the seating as shown by AG is safer than current seating?

All this is irrelevant, the point is it simply isn't in the interests of the Premier League clubs converting parts of their stadiums to standing having spent millions converting them to meet the Taylor report in the first place. Especially when the result would more than likely be cheap ticket prices and less in gate receipts. The sad truth is it simply doesn't make economic sense thus won't happen.

The only way it would happen would be if the law was passed that it was allowed, and then as Premier League ground were rennovated or replaced anyway, for example, pompey moving to their new ground, they then include these standing areas in their new grounds/stands.

I really can't see any premier league gorund going out of their way to change their stands.

Indeed they can/are

Several times now i have almost gone goose over stumps celebrating a goal or near miss.

Becuase i'm doing it from a standing position and then lurch forward, or someone from behind leans/pushes into you.

It's not that safe at present. That is (one of the reasons) why they try to keep people from standing.

If i fall over the seats in front at the next match i guess Villa would be liable ....

do you think the seating as shown by AG is safer than current seating?

I really don't know, I can't say it's safer until it's been tested or anything. It's almost irrelevant though as people who want to sit still won't be able to see..

@Jon. The only injuries I've ever gotten celebrating a goal are actually from my own seat! So many times I've jumped up to celebrate and ripped the skin of my ankle or leg in doing so!

Â