Naked 5-a-side? My theory on shirts and signatures.

NurembergVillan

The VT messageboard has turned into one long episode of Dad's Army of late, with panic and calamity seemingly around every corner and several lines trying hard yet ultimately failing to raise a smile.

It can't be THAT bad, surely? If you were an outsider reading the Kit Design thread and Transfer thread (which has had more sequels than Star Wars, and that was crap too) you'd be forgiven for thinking we've got no kits and half a squad and (a whole 3 days into this 62 day transfer window) will start the season playing naked 5-a-side at Stumps, leaving Villa Park as a smoldering memory of what used to be Aston Villa.

Plainly that's nonsense, as a great many things are in football today, so I've had a little think and tried to make some sense where it appears there is, well, none. It's there to be shot down, but it's just a theory which may or may not prove correct. And at least it's a theory based mostly on facts and past experience rather than being based on the fact that it keeps raining this summer (the day it stops, the press conference will happen).

So, here goes - we will be having a press conference where at least one, maybe several MAJOR players will be unveiled along with our new kit.

Nothing new there, then. It's been said on the messageboard already. But let's look at the facts and make some sense as to why this is a credible theory.

[*:06c2238558]Martin O'Neill is a very good football manager. Presumably, therefore, he knows how many players we need, and in which positions, in order to get us through the season.

[*:06c2238558]Randy Lerner has lots and lots of money. More than everyone on VT put together. Including if Doug Ellis is a member. Well, he is a member, but not of VT. He wants to spend a portion of this on Aston Villa.

[*:06c2238558]Richard FitzGerald is one of the world's leading CEOs. He has said that we're going to sign some top players this summer. He's trying to secure further major sponsorship alongside that which he has already secured with Nike. You don't do that by telling lies.

[*:06c2238558]Nike (our new suppliers) are the world's biggest sporting goods manufacturer. They turn over around $15bn per year. That's more than adidas, Reebok and Puma combined.

[*:06c2238558]As the world's leading sporting goods supplier, they have an excellent logistics system, allowing them to locate any order, anywhere in the world - on land, on the sea or in the air. They will also have people on hand in factories to monitor the status of every outstanding order.

[*:06c2238558]Martin O'Neill wants to continue being known as a very good football manager. Randy Lerner wants to own a very successful football club. Richard FitzGerald wants to make Aston Villa into a desirable brand. Nike wants to sell lots of football shirts with the brand of Aston Villa on them.

So take a minute to digest all of that... Thanks. Nike will know EXACTLY when Aston Villa shirts will be available in the shops. Home, away, the rumoured third kit. All of them. They will also have at least one of each of them, somewhere in their Hilversum campus, in order to do a "kit launch". You only need one of each and a player to go into each of those ones.

Therefore, Nike could put an exact date on the kit launch now (except they haven't). They can choose exactly when they want it to be. They could have it tomorrow if they wanted. Because they already have some of the kits at their disposal. Whether they unveil it tomorrow, or Friday, or next week wont make any difference if Gareth Barry and John Carew are wearing them - Aston Villa's faithful fans will buy them as and when they become available.

But if, when these kits were launched, they were being worn by John Carew, Gareth Barry, Wesley Sneijder, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Nigel Reo-Coker, Jermain Defoe... Well, then it'd be in all of the papers. And people would get excited, and see the new brand of Aston Villa, and would buy Nike shirts. Lots of them.

And then everyone would think Martin O'Neill was still a good manager, that Randy Lerner was building a successful football club, that Richard FitzGerald was building a desirable brand and Nike... Well, they'd sell a shedload more football shirts. Cos that's what they know how to do.

So don't fret. The kit's ready, the signings are being lined up (even if they haven't been talked about - that'd spoil the surprise) and it'll all come together as and when the time's right. Remember - this is Randy, and Bob Kain, and Charles C. Krulak we're talking about.

The Americans are in town. Only this time they've brought their mates.

absotutly fantastic NV and we all know your background so what you say s based in FACTS

agree with every word and sentiment

as you know it appears some people can not get rid of the old thinking

absotutly fantastic NV and we all know your background so what you say s based in FACTS

Well, it's a combo of facts and some sort of logic, at least. They could well unveil Marlon Harewood in the Hummel kit tomorrow and make me look daft. I don't have any "info", just a hunch which may or may not be right.

Absoletly fantastic post Nuremberg, which highlights so many great things about out wonderful football club. This post should make all villa fans sit up and realise where we are with the current regime and the way we are moving forward.

Good things come to those who wait.

Up the Villa

Great Post. But I still think its a very small minority of fans who are getting worked up and in a frenzy for no reason. Let me explain....For arguments sake lets say theres 40K passionate villa fans and 2K of them come on this site. Out of that 2K I'd say about 20 maximum are acting like its the end of the world and are being very negative.

So my point is I still think most fans are very exited to be a villa fan at the moment but are remaining quiet and patient while letting the club do what they have to do in a professional manner.

Great Post. But I still think its a very small minority of fans who are getting worked up and in a frenzy for no reason. Let me explain....For arguments sake lets say theres 40K passionate villa fans and 2K of them come on this site. Out of that 2K I'd say about 20 maximum are acting like its the end of the world and are being very negative.

So my point is I still think most fans are very exited to be a villa fan at the moment but are remaining quiet and patient while letting the club do what they have to do in a professional manner.

Good point, well made.

fantastic post

a very reassuring post, even if i wasn't a non believer, i did notice that there wasn't a release date on the kit advertisement, so it makes sense they will be waiting to unveil it when the time is right i.e when the signings are in

Totally agree with you amo69. I suppose people still do have to pinch themselves that our club is now run with a professional manner, which in turn means that we are we not spouting off about who we want to sign like previous (not going into that as that's in the past). I'm also under the impression that when we do make our first signing that all negativity will disappear.

The VT messageboard has turned into one long episode of Dad's Army of late

I've got the "Who do you think you are kidding Mr Hitler..." music from Dad's Army here in MP3, absolutely fantastic :D

Great post.

It could be worse guys. The team I work for (Boston Utd) have been relegated 2 divisions, have £3million debts, have no manager, a chairman who has decided instead of sorting things out he'll stay in Spain, only 4 first team players and haven't started pre-season/arranged friendlies.

And we Villa fans worry about our clubs future!

Â