Aston Villa Old Farts Club

Grasshopper

one thing I've always wanted confirmed,was it true,could jimmy coombes throw the ball further than he could kick it.that's what we thought when i was a kid.one of my faves was away at blackpool in our promotion season of 74/75.we won 3-0 if i remember correctly and were on motd.always remember jimmy hill saying how impressed he was with us(and our brian,got 2 i think) and that he thought we'd go up.the old yellow top away kit i think we wore.

Charlie Aitkens first Villa game in 1959 (I believe)......Aitken a true Villa Legend. I think it was also Johny Dixon's last game for Villa. I think we played Sheffield Wednesday.....cant recall the score...can anyone help me with that? I believe it was in the old 2nd division.

It was the last game of the 1960/1 season (April 1961). Villa 4 Sheffield Wed 1. It was in the old first division - we achieved promotion the season before. It was Johnny Dixon's last game before he retired and Also Gerry Hitchens's last before he joined Inter. Hitchens scored 2 and Dixon 1.

My first game at VP was September of that year, the 2nd leg of the League Cup where we beat Rotherham 3-0 to win 3-2 on aggregate. Packy McParland got at least 2 of the goals IIRC.

• Like 1

First game: 14th November 1959

My sixth birthday; Aston Villa 11 Charlton Athletic 1 Now into my 7th decade following the club

Brought up in a two up, two down in Saltley, we invariably walked to VP whatever the weather. Have had a season ticket in every stand and am now a cosseted member of the prawn sandwich brigade in the Trinity.

So many exciting times and great matches; the Villa Revolution era in the late sixties was fan power at its best and a great time to be a young fan!

I can still hear the crowd singing; Villa, Villaa, Villaaaa at the 2-1 defeat of Man U in the league cup semi final.

Used to love it when the whole ground joined in with thunderous chants of VILLA! VILLA! VILLA!

But funnily enough the atmosphere I can remember most vividly was at half time against Liverpool when we had stuck 5 past them. When the players left the pitch everyone was literally shell shocked and saying "****** hell what did we just see!"

Leaving Villa Park after witnessing such amazing football was such a high that lasted for weeks! As we walked home we sang;

"We're by far the greatest team, the world has ever seen"

And that night at least it was absolutely TRUE and our love for AVFC had been repaid

Good short story Mike, nice to read.

I remember the days of Nigel Bigglesthorpe and Sir Robert Faggot-Pophamberry. I was a ball boy for a season, and I remember we had to personally inflate the balls by mouth. Hard work, but a free steaming mug of cow's blood made it worth the effort. Back then, the Holte End was a just muddy hill, and at halftime, we'd chase a ball of cheese down that hill for entertainment. There was always at least one serious neck injury. I remember the league cup semifinal against Aldershot, when Basil Hoppingbottom headed home the winner. That's when Villa Park could hold 280,000 people. Glorious days. I eventually graduated from ball boy to grounds crew, and I'd spend every Monday after school shoveling cow manure onto the pitch to keep it fertilised. I remember the grounds crew playing a prank on one of the youth team players when we buried him up to his neck in manure. We left him there for three days. He demanded a transfer after that incident, and he was sold to Quigly Town. That player turned out to be Carlton "The Shitkicker" Hogg, and we all know about his exploits for Quigly. I wish we never shoveled a drop of cow shite on that young man. But it's hard to argue against destiny.

• Like 4

Banksy (not the one with the spray paint) was in goal for Leicester and we lost as we did yesterday.

I have seen the likes of Pele, Zoff, Rossi, Platini, Cruyff, Best, Charlton, Law, MacKay, Ball, Peters, Gentile, Moore, Breitner, Rummernigge, Tardelli, Bettega, Klinsmann, Matthaus, Jennings and Marsh to name but a few turn out against us along with all of the fine Villa men they came up against.

It has been good, bad and ugly. But I would not have missed a moment on our claret & blue roller coaster.      

• Like 4

Same here mate there's always the good the bad and ugly with villa (looking at most of the fans especially the old farts club definitely UGLY) seen some greats both in villa and opponents. Wouldn't swap for any other club. In our hearts and minds and blood. We are Aston Villa and we will never die surrender maybe

• Like 4

First game I went to at VP as a kid was in 82, v Everton. Having read through this thread, I now feel positively young :)

We all felt young once MrDuck. In my case it was a few years before your first game.  ;)

• Like 1

Â