Aston Villa Old Farts Club

Grasshopper

Can't remember my first game. Daddoo used to take me when I were a wee nipper. I remember seeing Dick Edwards get jeered playing for Torquay against us, and Terry Venables playing for QPR.

I was at the Santos game too, first time in the seats.

Started going on my own in 1976, the really good times were about to happen.

I've gone to Villa Park in all weathers, when ill, when the wife was in bed ill, missed birthdays etc etc.

And now after 39 years I've not renewed. can't take any more of the current Lambert dross :(

But I'll be back one day :)

Bloody Glory Hunter  :P - yeah we may go away for whatever reason but they are in your blood and you'll always come back!!!

• Like 1

The premier league wasn't formed until 1992 - so quite how people can say they were watching football 20 years prior to this is beyond me ... :)

Yeah but we are on about REAL football and footballers. Those who went in hard and were allowed to touch a player and before they started inventing the swan dive and rolling around like they'd been shot (I said shot not shit). Playing in the rain - sodden pitches - standing amongst 28,000 fans in the Holte End - walking home back of your legs soaked cos fans wouldn't bother to go to the loo cos they'd lose their place and never get back.

Ah! happy days! You lot have been spoiled with these modern stadia and seats - you missed the taste of piss and the smell of bovril (sorry - the taste of Bovril and the smell of piss). 

Highlight watching Dick Edwards and Fred Turnbull kick a player in the air from behind - get booked and shrug shoulders and do it again for good measure - and NOT get sent off as it was a man's game then! The poor bloke would get up brush it off and give the same treatment back! 

Oh! what fun it was to watch the Villa back in the good old days!

• Like 3

Almost embarrassed to admit to this, but I started supporting Aston Villa in 1956, just a year before the famous Cup Final, in which fellow Ulsterman Peter McParland featured heavily.

To be brief, a boy arrived at our school, having been expelled from another local school. We were all 12-year-olds, but he was one of these boys who seemed older and more advanced than the rest of us, bit of a chancer ( he ended up a bank manager). He had a scheme based on the old Division One, whereby you put money in, not much of course, and won money dependent on how your team performed.

We drew teams out of a hat. I drew Aston Villa. Not very romantic, but I was hooked and have been a proud supporter ever since.

Think the word you are looking for rhymes with Banker I think!

• Like 1

Yeah but we are on about REAL football and footballers. Those who went in hard and were allowed to touch a player and before they started inventing the swan dive and rolling around like they'd been shot

Not including Beelzebub Francis, king of adenoids. He perfected the dive years before anyone else (and anyone who was at the Sty that night he got one of our lot sent of and scored a penalty will agree).

cheating small heath word removed

• Like 1

Blimey this brings back memories for me too - I must be up there in terms of age. So notable lowlights from that era:- match against Leicester when we scored  a perfectly good goal which hit the back of the goal and came out and the effing ref gave a goal kick ! First match of the season against Norwich at home under the Doc when we were hot favourites  to go  up and lost 1 - 0 and went down. The Santos game - didn't they hire a generator to stage the match and Santos scored with an amazing free-kick from Edu(?)Signing Peter 'Noddy' Broadbent who was well passed his best but stuck out like a beacon of light in the Villa team. Do you know , I think there was more atmosphere at VP then than there is now !!

RJW63 - much as I loathe the turd Francis, I think Franny Lee of Man City pre-dated him in the diving stakes. 

Blimey this brings back memories for me too - I must be up there in terms of age. So notable lowlights from that era:- match against Leicester when we scored  a perfectly good goal which hit the back of the goal and came out and the effing ref gave a goal kick ! First match of the season against Norwich at home under the Doc when we were hot favourites  to go  up and lost 1 - 0 and went down. The Santos game - didn't they hire a generator to stage the match and Santos scored with an amazing free-kick from Edu(?)Signing Peter 'Noddy' Broadbent who was well passed his best but stuck out like a beacon of light in the Villa team. Do you know , I think there was more atmosphere at VP then than there is now !!

RJW63 - much as I loathe the turd Francis, I think Franny Lee of Man City pre-dated him in the diving stakes. 

Very True - it was well known and I think Mike Summerbee agreed that there were times when Franny Lee would be running at the defence in the box - clip his own heels with his foot and fall over - the ref hearing  a noise and seeing him tumble would give a penalty. Atmosphere was better as we had standing and they would congregate at the back of the holte - there'd always be one being held upside down with his legs a kimbo in the V sign!!! Then once the fences went up - we had the left side and right side brigades. Lots of varied shouts and not the same old boring s**t on the City. The Flood lights with AV on either side - seen from the M6 at night! 

Yeah that Santis game - during the Power Cuts - Pele refused to come out as the generator failed and one of the lights failed to come on - but he did and when he went off to a great ovation!

Jeebus what memories!

1975 Spuds 1-1. Best night ever as a kid Villa 5 scousers 1 . Dad  brought me a cuddly Villa donkey that night. I still have it over 30 years later. means a whole lot more since I lost dad in June, Holte Ender in the sky <3

Yeah who would have thought we'd have a few donkeys playing for Villa nearly 40 years later!! Which Donkey did he but you - wasn't Emmet Kipengwe was it??? Don't think he played much if at all - remember Doug bringing Him and Mwila to our School once (Holte Grammar on Whitehead Road!).

I supported Villa from the early to mid seventies but as my old man was a wolves fan he wouldn't take me to any games. He said it was because of the hooliganism but it was probably more to do with the fact he was as tight as a gnats chuff,

My first game I saw live was an away game against wolves, in the central league, in the 80/81 season. My old man said a reserve game should be fine but I had to go with my elder brother, who supports Villa, but has always been more into cricket than football.  We went 1-0 up, just before half time. The second half started and virtually straight way wolves scored to make it 1-1. My brother jumped up and started cheering as he hadn't realised we we had changed ends. As he'd been shouting for Villa all first half he got a few strange looks, not to mention a few choice words from me.

After going to a lot of reserve games that season, my first 'proper' game was the first game as Champions, at home against newly promoted Notts County, which we lost 1-0. I remember finding a picture of the scorer McCulloch, in Shoot (or something similar), and fixing it to my dart board. I hope he felt every dart :D

• Like 1

I supported Villa from the early to mid seventies but as my old man was a wolves fan he wouldn't take me to any games. He said it was because of the hooliganism but it was probably more to do with the fact he was as tight as a gnats chuff,

My first game I saw live was an away game against wolves, in the central league, in the 80/81 season. My old man said a reserve game should be fine but I had to go with my elder brother, who supports Villa, but has always been more into cricket than football.  We went 1-0 up, just before half time. The second half started and virtually straight way wolves scored to make it 1-1. My brother jumped up and started cheering as he hadn't realised we we had changed ends. As he'd been shouting for Villa all first half he got a few strange looks, not to mention a few choice words from me.

After going to a lot of reserve games that season, my first 'proper' game was the first game as Champions, at home against newly promoted Notts County, which we lost 1-0. I remember finding a picture of the scorer McCulloch, in Shoot (or something similar), and fixing it to my dart board. I hope he felt every dart :D

Brother sounds like a blue nose (reminds me of that Jasper Carrot routine about paying at Manu and sitting with the home fans!). The only hooligans we had at Villa played for us - think his name was derek hooligan ... sorry my bad it was derek dougan! I was dyslexic but I'm nallright won! :D

Charlie Aitkens first Villa game in 1959 (I believe)......Aitken a true Villa Legend. I think it was also Johny Dixon's last game for Villa. I think we played Sheffield Wednesday.....cant recall the score...can anyone help me with that? I believe it was in the old 2nd division.

• Like 1

Â