Laptop/Chromebook Advice

Craigyh74

On 11/04/2017 at 08:36, limpid said:

What does this mean? Why do you need a computer to be "compatible" with an iphone? Most people I know with a Chromebook have an iphone - what do you think you won't be able to do? Music comes from Spotify / Amazon / Google. Apps / backups are over the air.

For word and excel, use Google Docs. Both formats can be imported and exported.

The only requirement you had was "cheap" and now you need to buy Windows, end point protection and backup systems. So cheap wasn't even important :) 

Cheap was/is important and in my head any laptop for business purposes needs word/excel. Anything else strikes me as being for gaming or browsing only.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

Cheap was/is important and in my head any laptop for business purposes needs word/excel. Anything else strikes me as being for gaming or browsing only.

You're living in the past :mrgreen: 

On 11/04/2017 at 16:28, blandy said:

I know it's tangential, but refurbished or second hand computers can also do the job, and they're obviously cheaper. I bought mine from the e-bay, basically good as new despite being nowehere near new, but does the things you'd want a laptop to do. I don't like E bay, as it's a bit of a nest, but needs must. 

Thanks, yes I think that is worth considering I've been looking at it. Makes me a little nervous but there is some great value to be had.

53 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

there is some great value to be had.

There really is. I've bought some absolute bargains on there. Selling is more of the minefield in my experience. I've had a 3 complete digbats give me problems. But buying, you're well protected. And you get more bang for your money, IMO.

I doubt I'd ever buy a new computer again.

I've had a few "refurbished" computers things from Argos EBay store and they've arrived mint/new.

I once bought a tablet for my son and about 2 weeks after the 12 month warranty the charger port packed up. I emailed them, they collected it and then issued refund no problem. On the email confirmation it said "refund outside of warranty".

My latest purchase is bloomin' brilliant.

Acer Chromebook C201.

4GB RAM, ARM chip inside.

Put laptop into developer mode, use Crouton to install a chroot (Linux) XFCE4 environment on it. Hey presto: I no longer have a Chromebook, I have a Linux laptop which I use for PHP, Python and Javascript web development. It's even running a decent free IDE and a Postgres db server. So much for being restricted by ARM chips...

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

So the Apple mac book hit the floor tonight and the screen has cracked. It's fairly old anyway and we've been putting off getting a new one for a while anyway so it isn't the end of the world.

To be honest all we use it for is basic Internet browsing (villatalk) and steam games (football manager). We occasionally need word and excel but have work laptops we can use for that. Not looking to spend too much, certainly don't want it coming out of holiday budget. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

28 minutes ago, This Could Be Rotterdam said:

So the Apple mac book hit the floor tonight and the screen has cracked. It's fairly old anyway and we've been putting off getting a new one for a while anyway so it isn't the end of the world.

To be honest all we use it for is basic Internet browsing (villatalk) and steam games (football manager). We occasionally need word and excel but have work laptops we can use for that. Not looking to spend too much, certainly don't want it coming out of holiday budget. Does anyone have any recommendations? 

I'd recommend getting carpet, unless you want to replace the laptop :mrgreen:

Do you have a desktop (or windows work machine) to stream steam from? If so then a Chromebook is probably the way to go. I just took delivery of this:

Amazing bit of kit so far. A lot of friends have gone for the little brother and seem very happy with it:

• 1 month later...

On 03/04/2017 at 16:27, Stevo985 said:
On 02/01/2017 at 22:30, Stevo985 said:

My HP14 chromebook died this week so I've replaced it with an Acer R11. It's smaller but it's got a touch screen and the screen flips round to turn it into a tablet (kinda)

Seems pretty good so far. Not noticed any performance issues compared to the HP, and the touchscreen is a nice addition. Turning it into a tablet is a bit pointless imo, and the operating system isn't really optimised to work as a tablet. You can't adjust the volume easily, for example, in tablet mode because it turns the keyboard off. 

Still, first impressions are good. For £220 it seems a bargain.

3 months usage on this now and there are good and bad elements.

The bad is performance. It's noticeably slower than my previous Chromebook, particularly with multiple tabs open. Or, for example, if I'm casting one tab and trying to browse on the other it slows down.

Even single tab browsing is noticeably slower than my HP was.

On the plus side, the touchscreen and "tablet" functionality is way more useful than I thought it would be. I use it in tablet mode a lot more than I ever thought I would, despite it not really being optimised for that usage.

It's not bad for £220 but it being noticeably slower than my previous one has put me off. Still, at that price I could probably sell it now and buy a replacement and only be about £100 out of pocket (which I'm tempted to do!)

9 months with it now and I basically hate it.

The tablet and touchscreen is a nice feature but I very rarely use it. The OH has an ipad so if I ever want a tablet I just use that and it's a million times better.

The chromebook itself is really slow. Single tab browsing is ok, but even then some things like facebook and youtube run really slow on it. 
If you've got a couple of tabs open then it slows right down.

If you're on something like a tumblr page or a blog with multiple videos on it then it slows down until it's unusable in its slowness.

A friend of mine visited earlier in the week and he had his 4 year old macbook with him and it shocked me how much faster that was than this chromebook, even just for simple web browsing or stuff like google maps. (That's not a plug for apple, it just so happened that's what he had and it made me realise how slow my laptop is)
So I'm gonna bite the bullet and get rid of this one and replace it with either a better chromebook or I may go back to a "proper" laptop.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

9 months with it now and I basically hate it.

The tablet and touchscreen is a nice feature but I very rarely use it. The OH has an ipad so if I ever want a tablet I just use that and it's a million times better.

The chromebook itself is really slow. Single tab browsing is ok, but even then some things like facebook and youtube run really slow on it. 
If you've got a couple of tabs open then it slows right down.

If you're on something like a tumblr page or a blog with multiple videos on it then it slows down until it's unusable in its slowness.

A friend of mine visited earlier in the week and he had his 4 year old macbook with him and it shocked me how much faster that was than this chromebook, even just for simple web browsing or stuff like google maps. (That's not a plug for apple, it just so happened that's what he had and it made me realise how slow my laptop is)
So I'm gonna bite the bullet and get rid of this one and replace it with either a better chromebook or I may go back to a "proper" laptop.

Have you tried a factory reset? It shouldn't get any slower with age.

This one seems to fly - you could always get one from Amazon and play with it for 30 days and return it if it's no longer right for you.

18 minutes ago, limpid said:

Have you tried a factory reset? It shouldn't get any slower with age.

This one seems to fly - you could always get one from Amazon and play with it for 30 days and return it if it's no longer right for you.

Yeah I have. A couple in fact.

I don't thin it's slowing with age. It's just slow full stop.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Yeah I have. A couple in fact.

I don't thin it's slowing with age. It's just slow full stop.

Under powered is under powered :( I'd still try another before you go back to the world of anti virus, cruft and daily software updates. The grass always looks greener.

12 minutes ago, limpid said:

Under powered is under powered :( I'd still try another before you go back to the world of anti virus, cruft and daily software updates. The grass always looks greener.

Don't get me wrong, it's no unusable (unless you have several tabs open). BUt like I said, once I'd used my mate's macbook for 10 minutes I was thinking "This is lightning compared to the chromebook"

If I can stay with Chromebook I will.

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

*Puts on helmet*

*Puts on full body armour*

*Retreats to nuclear bunker*

*Deploys forcefield*

*Shields to max*

*Braces for impact*

I bought a macbook

Virtual machine a linux though right :D <-- on ur "taskbar"

Macs are still an excellent workhorse machine even though Apple are trying their hardest with each new iteration to nerf the shit out of it.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

*Puts on helmet*

*Deploys forcefield*

*Shields to max*

*Braces for impact*

I bought a macbook

*Blandy likes this*

;)

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

*Puts on helmet*

*Deploys forcefield*

*Shields to max*

*Braces for impact*

I bought a macbook

Had my Macbook Air a while and its great. Really quick. Probably OTT for my needs but don't regret forking out for it.

• Like 2

Â