Laptop/Chromebook Advice

Craigyh74

11 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Looking for some recommendations.

My sister is after a new laptop. 
Casual use, mostly web browsing, some office work, watching movies, that sort of thing.

Budget of £300 but could stretch to £400 if necessary

Obviously my first recommendation was a Chromebook.
However she's insistent that she wants the ability to play games (mainly The Sims), so it needs to be Windows (her words)

This is the best one I've come up with so far. Anyone else know of any good deals going at the moment?

Check this out, good service

• Thanks 1

I've said it here before, but Simon recommended me Asus C434 and I can't say I regret it. I actually gave away my Dell XPS to my mum, cause I never used it anymore. The ASUS is absolutely fantastic for travelling as well.

• Thanks 1

On 10/06/2020 at 21:29, Stevo985 said:

Looking for some recommendations.

My sister is after a new laptop. 
Casual use, mostly web browsing, some office work, watching movies, that sort of thing.

Budget of £300 but could stretch to £400 if necessary

Obviously my first recommendation was a Chromebook.
However she's insistent that she wants the ability to play games (mainly The Sims), so it needs to be Windows (her words)

This is the best one I've come up with so far. Anyone else know of any good deals going at the moment?

She's upped her budget because she's going to buy it on finance through Harvey Norman (an Irish store)

She's looking at this one

Any experience from anyone on this?

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

She's upped her budget because she's going to buy it on finance through Harvey Norman (an Irish store)

I think Sims 4 with a few expansionpacks will eat that storage. I'll check the missus PC later and see whats what

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

15 minutes ago, Tegis said:

I think Sims 4 with a few expansionpacks will eat that storage. I'll check the missus PC later and see whats what

Her Sims install is 40 gigs, yikes.

That said, that particular laptop has room for a additional 2.5 inch SSD drive. If she goes for it, buy a separate disk and install games on that and save the space on the system drive.

https://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles_pub/s145_series_hmm_201902.pdf

Edited by Tegis
mount rushmore
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Harvey Norman (an Irish store)

Aussie chain, surely? Even if in Ireland. They're everywhere in Aus. Nearly as ubiquitous as Bunnings warehouse, but without the annoying ear-worm jingle.

Er, anyway, the relevance is that they're decent stores, so that's a start in terms of not a bad place to get one from.

40 minutes ago, blandy said:

Aussie chain, surely? Even if in Ireland. They're everywhere in Aus. Nearly as ubiquitous as Bunnings warehouse, but without the annoying ear-worm jingle.

Er, anyway, the relevance is that they're decent stores, so that's a start in terms of not a bad place to get one from.

Cheers. That’s good to know at least. I’m trying to persuade her against getting it on finance but I guess if they’re legit and it gets her a better laptop it’s probably ok

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

My dad's laptop can't be fixed at a reasonable cost so I'm thinking a chromebook might be a good alternative.   He only uses it for banking,  shopping and browsing so doesn't need anything fancy.   I've never used or purchased a chromebook before so any advice?  Guess it'll be easy to setup and get on the net for him?

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

My dad's laptop can't be fixed at a reasonable cost so I'm thinking a chromebook might be a good alternative.   He only uses it for banking,  shopping and browsing so doesn't need anything fancy.   I've never used or purchased a chromebook before so any advice?  Guess it'll be easy to setup and get on the net for him?

The only thing that will make a difference for that use case is screen and keyboard quality. Take him to Currys to try them physically. Them you can shop around online. Price varies primarily with screen size/quality and release year (because processor power).

If you see something pushed as a bargain, it's usually old. You can check supported life here: https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/6220366?hl=en

• Thanks 1

The great thing about a chromebook is that the high end devices cost about the same as the cheapest windows laptops. I think I got my C434 for £ 500 or so.

The shit thing about a chromebook is that you are using google chrome (most likely).

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

The great thing about a chromebook is that the high end devices cost about the same as the cheapest windows laptops. I think I got my C434 for £ 500 or so.

The shit thing about a chromebook is that you are using google chrome (most likely).

They are about to split Chrome out as just another app (probably when Chrome moves to a 4 week release cycle in Q3).

Chrome is best supported, but you can install pretty much any Android or Linux browser. How easy that is or how well it works is down to the producers of the browser.

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Creeper said:

Looking to get a new gaming laptop at the end of this year. Budget of 1-1.2k. Whats the best out there for this budget?

For that price in Sweden you can get a Asus TUF Gaming A15 witch runs most triple A games very well. Especially in 1080p

15,6 inch 144 hertz screen
1920x1080 resolution
16 GB RAM
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H
GeForce RTX 3060

5803626.jpg

Or find something in stock/amazon with similar specs

• 8 months later...

Added to my ThinkPad collection with this beauty: C13 Yoga.  I don't use the "enterprise" features, as my intended use case is as "light ordnance":

since my other ThinkPads are uniformly 15-inch T-series (T560, T590, T15 Gen 2), something smaller for just media consumption, email, poasting, and Google Docs, especially on the go.

The keyboard has the proper (at least post-2015) ThinkPad feel for typing (one of the chromebook-specific youtube channel reviews called it the best feeling keyboard ever on a chromebook), and the trackpoint works (including the middle-click scroll).  Vivaldi's Android browser works reasonably well (I get the desktop versions of sites, but I can't customize the keybindings (especially Ctrl-N for new tab and Ctrl-T for new window)).  All-in-all, it's working well for its purpose.

Â