What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

Black Sabbath - Iron Man
At a guess, that was recorded nearly 20 years before you were born.

The equivalent when I was 21 would have been to listen to music from 1934 - which would have been regarded as utterly unthinkable by just about all my peer group.

Not sure what that proves, but it's interesting.

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

The equivalent when I was 21 would have been to listen to music from 1934 - which would have been regarded as utterly unthinkable by just about all my peer group.

18 years to be exact.

Tis interesting though.

I think it just shows that the advent of technology and the room for experimentation and invention meant that songs that came out from the 60s, 70s, had a sort of groundbreaking quality thats made them last.

How much released today, for example, is really going to last, or genuinely shows invention? A few good tunes will come out, and trends will rise and fall, but theres not much, in the things I listen to anyway, that couldn't have been done 10 years before it was at least.

A mate of mine's a bit of a music snob and he remarked the other day on this kind of thing, that in 20 years what are his kids going to be listening to from the past? We (my generation) can listen to genuinely great bands from the era of our parents, our kids might have to listen to their grandparents stuff, because Lady Gaga sure as hell isn't something to be proud of.

Black Sabbath - Iron Man

18 years to be exact.

Tis interesting though.

I think it just shows that the advent of technology and the room for experimentation and invention meant that songs that came out from the 60s, 70s, had a sort of groundbreaking quality thats made them last.

Pretty much my view, but then you'd expect that from someone of my generation.

Funny thing is, I DO sometimes listen to music from the 1930s (and other "pre-rock" eras), and I even did so occasionally back when I was young. I think I like(d) it because it was very different from what my generation did; whereas much of today's music is still clearly rooted in 1960s/70s styles.

The newer stuff that is noticably new though, I have trouble with. It seems I can work backwards OK, but I can't work forwards much beyond the mid 1970s without a sense of (at best) slight disappointment and (at worst) strong dislike.

Â