What Song Are You Listening To Right Now?

Xann

I saw Alice Donut in Newcastle once. I was there in 1990 and saw that The Field Mice were playing The Riverside, I would be a fool not to go see them. The Riverside was in an awful state, possibly the worst venue from a punter perspective I ever set foot in. Anyway turned out inexplicably Alice Donut were over for a few dates and who is the best act for them to be supporting, the Sarah Record stylings of The Field Mice. They were actually excellent, this was pre grunge and Nirvana finding fame outside of MM/NME and Peel/Lamacq so for all of those that appreciated a more cartoony version of Tad/Mudhoney, they were the ticket.

The last time I saw The Brilliant Corners was at Lion Street, a music venue that put on some great bands and not so great bands in the 90s and late 80s. They put on the Brilliant Corners one time around bonfire night. I was there with my then girlfriend and still my wife, I was the fan, she found them too twee, but they were letting off fireworks in the street, so she bollocked them. She lectured them on fireworks scaring animals whilst I sheepishly looked on and wanted to talk to them about their music. I didnt, because my **** girlfriend had bollocked grown men about letting off fireworks.

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

Probably got Johnny Marr on Guitar

No, although it could be him

I own the album Its Love and its a very good album, never seen The Softies or any of the bands Rose Melberg is in to my knowledge. I think this is an 11 on tweeometer. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

I saw these a few times, the best was at whatever the Hummingbird was called at the time, Academy I think. Brakes supported them and Brakes were absolutely phenomenal, amongst the best bands I have ever seen. Belle and Sebastian werent too shabby either. Was stage left enjoying their set and had a go at some youth for being a lairy word removed through the quieter parts of their set. Next day daughter told me of a friend of hers that was at the gig and some balding bloke got shitty with him for talking through the gig. Good times.

A very good chance I was at that gig too. I remember Brakes being a support act at a gig I went to, but not sure which one. A quick search suggests they toured with both B&S and Editors in the early part of 2006, I’m not sure which one I saw them support but it would have been one of them.

• Like 1

Perennial bottom shelf of the new singles rack band

Sadly this is the rerecording and not the better version that came out on aroma sound Recordings in 1995. Fronted by a man called Mick McCarthy.

I own nothing at all by Ludicrous Lollipops, I had a tape in the early 90s that didnt have a tracklist, just ludicrous lollipops written on it, this is fantastic and now I am off to discogs to see if I can actually buy anything by them.

Maybe not a song exactly. Second Wave punks Killing Joke's first two albums are absolute classics, Requiem was their second single off the first album. Sometime later (1992?) Spiral Tribe did a Dub / Ambient Mix which uses recognizable stems from the original song but turns it into an altogether different beast. Here it is, its always been fantastic

Â