Paul Lambert

limpid

How many times is this £2m a year thing going to crop up? Someone posted a list of the highest paid managers in the world, the bottom of the top 20 was less than £2m a year and Lambert was not on the list.

£2m or £1m or £500k whatever it is it's still a lot of dosh for the performance received!

The performance in your eyes, however in terms of the owner he has achieved.

How many times is this £2m a year thing going to crop up? Someone posted a list of the highest paid managers in the world, the bottom of the top 20 was less than £2m a year and Lambert was not on the list.

£2m or £1m or £500k whatever it is it's still a lot of dosh for the performance received!

I wonder if Del's pay is performance related. 

we have produced our fair share of solid Prem players over the past few years.

Have we? The past few years? Who were they then?

Cahill definitely, Ridgwell up until recently, Bannan still in Premiership, Gardner Snr, Albrighton. Weimann is playing for us, as is Gabby, Clark and Baker.

Certainly no world beaters but all play in the Premiership.

Cahill - granted. Ridgewell has gone to the states, the defender we used to rip the piss out of, Bannan won't feature for Pulis. Gardner a CM converted to a RB, Albrighton - average, Weimann - we slag off, Gabby is the only one who I would deem a success, Clark and Baker, did you watch the performances of them defending. The fans berate these players as not being good enough weekly and you want us to add more of them in. Good idea that.

Let's judge Clark and Baker after a run in the team by Senderos?

Whether they be good or average or poor in your opinion they have all made a very good living from being Prem footballers.

In 2 years Lambert has not brought any Academy players through to be squad regulars which is unusual for us. OK after Sid became involved with the first team Robinson made some cameo's and Grealish featured for a couple of minutes but that is poor for us.

Cahill definitely, Ridgwell up until recently, Bannan still in Premiership, Gardner Snr, Albrighton. Weimann is playing for us, as is Gabby, Clark and Baker.

Cahill - granted. Ridgewell has gone to the states, the defender we used to rip the piss out of, Bannan won't feature for Pulis. Gardner a CM converted to a RB, Albrighton - average, Weimann - we slag off, Gabby is the only one who I would deem a success, Clark and Baker, did you watch the performances of them defending. The fans berate these players as not being good enough weekly and you want us to add more of them in. Good idea that.

Whether they be good or average or poor in your opinion they have all made a very good living from being Prem footballers.

In 2 years Lambert has not brought any Academy players through to be squad regulars which is unusual for us. OK after Sid became involved with the first team Robinson made some cameo's and Grealish featured for a couple of minutes but that is poor for us.

Why judge them after Senderos? I've seen enough of them to know our academy hasn't produced steady PL performers as you have stated. In two years PL has not bought in any academy players, though we had one of the youngest average teams in the league which was at 23 years and 309 days. So you wanted him to throw even more youngsters at it haha.

I wonder if Del's pay is performance related. 

Too right if I don't perform I get the heave ho and don't get paid a bean. If I had performed as badly as Lambo I wouldn't be getting a nice fat pay off like Lambo either?

How many Premier League games do you have to play to be considered a solid player? I know some don't like the players or don't rate them but most mentioned are over 100 top flight games. Others are internationals so I would consider that a success. Some are still young and could improve. I think stats should be the proof not personal opinion.

We have one of the best success rates in getting youth players a career one thing that needs to be changed is the top end quality we seem to have a problem getting the cream. Hopefully out of this next load we will finally get 1/2 exceptional players.

Why judge them after Senderos? I've seen enough of them to know our academy hasn't produced steady PL performers as you have stated. In two years PL has not bought in any academy players, though we had one of the youngest average teams in the league which was at 23 years and 309 days. So you wanted him to throw even more youngsters at it haha.

We have one the highest ranked academies in the country and if it's not producing quality players on a regular basis then either close it or get a manager in who can run it properly?

Yes we have a young team but that is due to some of the young and hungry players Lambert has brought in. Rather than buy that dross let's produce them from the academy that's all I am saying?

...and then when they don't perform slate Lambert for chucking the kids in at the deep end, and when we buy experienced players to play along side them and help moaning about abandoning his philsophy.Any stick to beat him with.

Lambert hasn't performed badly, he has rebuilt an entire side, while drastically cutting costs, and kept us in the division, It is a thankless task, but I and I hope many fans can see the restraints he has worked under.

He has been well worth the money, there are plenty of other managers who would have took us down under these circumstances.

• Like 3

Managers don't run the academy, managers come and go but the philsophy and practices at the academt must always remain.

...and why close an academy that is paying for itself, in players produced and sold to clubs up and down the country?

..and how is it Lambert's fault the academy isn't producing players, he has been here two years, so he is supposed to take 17 years old in two years and turn them into wonderkids?

What are you even moaning about?

Do you even know yourself?

...and if it was so simple to produce such talented kids everyone would be doing it.

When was the last time Birmingham, WBA, Wolves brought through top players?

When was the last time the biggest club in the country brought through a top player from their academy?

Edited by blandy
  • Like 2

...and then when they don't perform slate Lambert for chucking the kids in at the deep end, and when we buy experienced players to play along side them and help moaning about abandoning his philsophy.Any stick to beat him with.

Lambert hasn't performed badly, he has rebuilt an entire side, while drastically cutting costs, and kept us in the division, It is a thankless task, but I and I hope many fans can see the restraints he has worked under.

He has been well worth the money, there are plenty of other managers who would have took us down under these circumstances.

You think he's done a good job but I don't. Fair enough we will have to beg to differ because if I was owner my first job would be to sack Lambo!

How many Premier League games do you have to play to be considered a solid player?

You could play 1000 games and if you were s**t in every one of them then you wouldn't be a solid player.

John O'Shea has played 71(!) Champions League games, that doesn't make him a solid Champions League player.

Appearances =/= Quality

We have one the highest ranked academies in the country and if it's not producing quality players on a regular basis then either close it or get a manager in who can run it properly?

Yes we have a young team but that is due to some of the young and hungry players Lambert has brought in. Rather than buy that dross let's produce them from the academy that's all I am saying?

Managers don't run the academy, managers come and go but the philsophy and practices at the academt must always remain.

...and why close an academy that is paying for itself, in players produced and sold to clubs up and down the country?

..and how is it Lambert's fault the academy isn't producing players, he has been here two years, so he is supposed to take 17 years old in two years and turn them into wonderkids?

What are you even moaning about?

Do you even know yourself?

...and if it was so simple to produce such talented kids everyone would be doing it.

When was the last time Birmingham, WBA, Wolves brought through top players?

When was the last time the biggest club in the country brought through a top player from their academy?

I actually agree with most of this I was just wondering why we have not seen the usual 1 or 2 come through under Lambo? Has his philosophy of buying 'young and hungry' held up our development of academy players?

The manager should have a huge influence on the academy as all good teams build their footballing philosophy from the academy through to the first team

How many Premier League games do you have to play to be considered a solid player?

You could play 1000 games and if you were s**t in every one of them then you wouldn't be a solid player.

John O'Shea has played 71(!) Champions League games, that doesn't make him a solid Champions League player.

Appearances =/= Quality

Doesn't O'Shea have a winners medal as well? So has Wes Brown I think? Doesn't make them world class but solid CL players, why not?

Doesn't O'Shea have a winners medal as well? So has Wes Brown I think? Doesn't make them world class but solid CL players, why not?

Because they're both S**T! I give up. Wes Brown is to the Champions League what most of our current "successful" academy graduates are to the Premier League. Agreed.

What Lambert needs is more players like Clark & Baker in the starting line up. That's why all of the academy graduates in the first XI are being linked with moves to clubs above us and all of the crappy bought players wouldn't be touched by a bargepole.

In an ideal world we'd have Barca's academy (or even Southhampton's) and great players would just fall out of our arse. Unfortunately for whatever reason (not Lambert's fault) we haven't done so far. Hopefully, the team that won the NextGen will turn out great but lumping them in as soon as humanly possible doesn't seem like a prudent option to me.

Best way to see how Lambert 'would' perform with bigger funds and less wage restrictions is to consider who he has spent 'decent' funds on. Those two are Benteke and Vlaar.

You do the maths.

I would add Kozak into that mix. Who I also happen to think is a very good buy. Pretty much with Lambert the more he has spent the better player he has got. That is a pretty good track record.

• Like 4

Best way to see how Lambert 'would' perform with bigger funds and less wage restrictions is to consider who he has spent 'decent' funds on. Those two are Benteke and Vlaar.

You do the maths.

So when he has spent more money he has brought a better player? Funny that? He must be a brilliant manager then!

Shame we still play poor turgid football when they are in the team! Admittedly it's a better brand of turgid football than when they are injured?

I wasn't putting words into anybody's mouth or generalising.

What a lot of people seem to miss is that there simply isn't any significant money to spend right now. As somebody said earlier, it's a case of gambling on very cheap young players again (and Lambert has received a lot of flak for those kind of signings in the past) or signing older experienced players on free transfers.

What is Lambert supposed to do with so little to spend? If anyone's to blame it's Lerner for seemingly not even allowing moderate investment.

This is the problem, people are now acting like the 'young and hungry' strategy itself was intrinsically flawed rather than Lambert's botched execution of it. Also I don't need to keep being reminded how little money we have. I know this. All the more reason not to spend the modest resources we have on poor players only being signed because of how old they are. I still fail to see what will be achieved by this.

• Like 1

I wasn't putting words into anybody's mouth or generalising.

What a lot of people seem to miss is that there simply isn't any significant money to spend right now. As somebody said earlier, it's a case of gambling on very cheap young players again (and Lambert has received a lot of flak for those kind of signings in the past) or signing older experienced players on free transfers.

What is Lambert supposed to do with so little to spend? If anyone's to blame it's Lerner for seemingly not even allowing moderate investment.

This is the problem, people are now acting like the 'young and hungry' strategy itself was intrinsically flawed rather than Lambert's botched execution of it. Also I don't need to keep being reminded how little money we have. I know this. All the more reason not to spend the modest resources we have on poor players only being signed because of how old they are. I still fail to see what will be achieved by this.

I quite agree, Lambert's mismanagement is the problem and now he has changed tack because 2 years of signing inferior players has bitten him on the bum.

Â