Paul Lambert

limpid

If he does keep his job, and gets given a decent budget, we will end up with another bomb squad of players he signed that don't have a long term future here

Luna

Bennett

Lowton

Sylla

Tonev

plus the likes of Clark, Baker & KEA who are not good enough for a side trying to get into the top 10, Let alone compete with Everton/Southampton etc for top 8

But they won't be the overpaid half arsed don't give a damn in it for the money lot we had under MON and Houllier and McLeish. They will be lowish paid - young with still some resale value and easier to shift so there's no comparison really - in my humble opinion.
I doubt those listed would have much resale value. Lambert also hadn't managed to shift the high earners

Dunne, Collins, ireland, Warnock all gone.

Hutton, bent and probably nzogbia will be gone soon. Sums them up when we can't even give them away.

I think the difference in quality between the football under McLeish and Lambert is so small as to be not worth bothering with. It was crap and depressing with poor results under McLeish, and it's crap and depressing with poor results under Lambert. Neither are good enough for Villa, but only one of them managed our bitter enemies, so that makes him worse in a lot of people's eyes.

Maybe it does but not in mine.

There are differences which even those who want rid of Lambert should really accept, it is possible to want Lambert out without thinking every single thing he does is bad.

For a start the football at Norwich under Lambert was entirely different to the football of Small Heath under McLeish which is for me a factor worthy of note and consideration. Lambert played decent football with Norwich but the same simply cannot be said for McLeish at Small Heath or Rangers for that matter.

Under McLeish we frequently tried to draw games rather than win them, who can forgot 6 defenders in the side and Heskey in midfield against Spurs at home.

McLeish's brand of football is turgid, dour, defensive in large numbers and is all about not losing not trying to win. I don't think that is true of Lambert at all, for all our faults or his faults or the poor performances I don't think Lambert's approach, tactics or football are remotely close to being as bad as those of McLeish.

And that is without getting into the respective sizes of the two managers wage bills or the quality of players under their control during their times at the club. But lets park that one rather than get into another debate over Lambert's signings.

There have been lows under Lambert, no question and no argument from me. But we've had some extremely good results and good performances particularly against the very top sides, we never ever got close to that under McLeish and we wouldn't have done so if he stayed longer.

I understand some peoples views that Lambert isn't good enough but lets not be silly and say his football is no better than McLeish's. And please, don't dismiss the views of people who think differently as being little more than anti Blues bias.

I would say at times, especially towards te end of this season that Lambert has picked a team not to lose rather than to win. Palace away, Southampton at home would be examples. He has also fielded some very defensive teams. For the last ten minutes of the game against hull at 3-1 up we were virtually playing 6 at the back as Lowton moved more central and bacuna was rb.

As for mcleish he did beat Chelsea. So it could be argued he could've got more results against better teams in his second yr (like lambert this yr).

Maybe he could teach brendan Rogers how to protect a lead then!

• Like 1

he didn't serve up the many lows like we've had under Lambert, like Christmas 2012 including the 8-0, like losing to Bradford over 2 legs, like giving us 10 home league defeats in a season etc etc etc.

Meaningless stats though I hear.

Like Beating Sunderland 6-1, Knocking money bags Man City out 4-2 on their own patch earlier in the competition. Beating Arsenal at the Emirates. Beating Man City at Villa park & Chelsea 1-0.

Meaningless stats though you hear.

he didn't serve up the many lows like we've had under Lambert, like Christmas 2012 including the 8-0, like losing to Bradford over 2 legs, like giving us 10 home league defeats in a season etc etc etc.

Like Beating Sunderland 6-1, Knocking money bags Man City out 4-2 on their own patch earlier in the competition. Beating Arsenal at the Emirates. Beating Man City at Villa park & Chelsea 1-0.

Meaningless stats though you hear.

Deserved credit for them. Good results.

Yet still managed to pick up more points at home despite those 10 defeats.

You know you've got a truly shite manager when the only defence of him is that he might or might not be as quite as bad as McLeish.

• Like 2

Great. Still lost record number of games.

Last time I checked its points that matter.

Lambert needs one more year.

No, he needs to get as far away from our club as he can, before the damage he does becomes too severe.

And I'll repeat, at Villa Lambert's football has been no better than McLeish's, the league table doesn't lie. And please point out where I've dismissed anybody's views as merely being anti-Blues bias.

Short memory, I guess.   Though in fairness, it had been more than 2 whole hours:  :)

I think the difference in quality between the football under McLeish and Lambert is so small as to be not worth bothering with. It was crap and depressing with poor results under McLeish, and it's crap and depressing with poor results under Lambert. Neither are good enough for Villa, but only one of them managed our bitter enemies, so that makes him worse in a lot of people's eyes.

• Like 1

You know you've got a truly shite manager when the only defence of him is that he might or might not be as quite as bad as McLeish.

I actually think Lambert has more about him than McLeish but I'd struggle to back up that opinion. If we lose our last two games we will finish on the same points as we did under McLeish in pretty much the same position but with a worse goal difference. Lambert has had two seasons and around 40 mill to spend and we have stood still. McLeish had a transfer budget of minus 20 mill. I would acknowledge that both have had to cut the wage bill. Therefore looking at the jobs they have both done its hard to make an argument that Lambert has done any better especially when you add in the fact that the football under both has been more often than not dire.

And I'll repeat, at Villa Lambert's football has been no better than McLeish's, the league table doesn't lie. And please point out where I've dismissed anybody's views as merely being anti-Blues bias.

Short memory, I guess.   Though in fairness, it had been more than 2 whole hours:  :)

Well, duh.  I'll ask again, where have I dismissed anybody's views because of this?  SOME people didn't like McLeish because of his Blues connections, that is a cast iron, absolute fact.

If he does keep his job, and gets given a decent budget, we will end up with another bomb squad of players he signed that don't have a long term future here

Luna

Bennett

Lowton

Sylla

Tonev

plus the likes of Clark, Baker & KEA who are not good enough for a side trying to get into the top 10, Let alone compete with Everton/Southampton etc for top 8

Those players are actually decent squad players though. And haven't those sat on the bench rather than bent, Hutton etc is far better for us.

Agreed - And what we need is a squad - these are part of the squad - just add quality to the team and we won't need to sell them at all - given more game time they could become better - Bowery had more than 15 mins on the pitch and had his best game for Villa after being deemed shit and not good enough. In the eyes of the 'experts' he probably still is.

The bomb squad idea is flawed IMO. We need fringe players to step in for injuries \ loss of form or to try different formations. Certainly for me KEA has a lot offer in such a role - no world beater granted - but a handy guy to have on the bench...

I don't think Lambert's signings will be bombed out, though.  That tactic was used on high earners to motivate them to agree to moves at reduced wages by making it clear they would hurt their careers staying at Villa and/or demanding high wages.  That won't be an issue for Lambert's signings that need replacing because their wages and transfer fees were low enough that neither player nor club is likely to take a big hit if they leave regardless of size of fee received or wages offered.   And keeping some of them around as fringe players won't have a huge impact on the wage bill.

There's an awful lot of barrel-scraping going on in Lambert's defence lately. If he gets another year (and part of me is curious to see it) one thing is for sure, he'd better pull his socks up 'cos the job he's done so far has been inexcusably dire.

Last time I checked its points that matter.

They do. 21 pts from 19 games is an awful return.

Well, duh.  I'll ask again, where have I dismissed anybody's views because of this?  SOME people didn't like McLeish because of his Blues connections, that is a cast iron, absolute fact.

Well, duh.   You state quite clearly that the only reason some people thing McLeish was worse is because of his history with Blues.  I think that pretty clearly dismisses any arguments that Lambert is better as being attributed to only anti-blues bias.   Forgive me, if the poster you responded to (Trent, I think?) and I misinterpreted, but that's how I was taught to read.

I wonder if that 80%(ish) poll result in favour of PL going has changed now safety has been reached?

Has anyone here changed their mind?

I havent, even a broken clock is right twice a day. One win does not make up for the performances he have served up, sure there have been a good win or two, but way too infrequent and we are not moving forward, stomping ground on the same possition at best.

If giving us stafety with 2 games to go in a season is what it takes to convince our fans that he should stay the last couple of years have taken a bigger toll on us fans than i thought. We should do better, we can and we will do better without lambert in charge

Well, duh.   You state quite clearly that the only reason some people thing McLeish was worse is because of his history with Blues.  I think that pretty clearly dismisses any arguments that Lambert is better as being attributed to only anti-blues bias.   Forgive me, if the poster you responded to (Trent, I think?) and I misinterpreted, but that's how I was taught to read.

Have any of them posted on here?

Â