Paul Lambert

limpid

Solomonic & wise after the event fan base

You seem to talking down to those fans that could see what was happening. You shouldn't really judge others based on your need for undying support of Paul Lambert and lack of football knowledge.

Yes. Those same fans who wanted him here in the first place. Practically all 35,000 of them. If you are the exception to this fact then I bow to your superior fore sight, intellect & wisdom & subsequently demand the six numbers right now for this weekends National Lottery.

I know a lot of people that thought he was shite before he arrived and never wanted him. Certainly the 20/30 season ticket holders who frequent my local were not impressed with his appointment. I dont think it was as big a majority as you think
I think because a couple of thousand away fans sang his name at Norwich and because he isn't Alex McLeish people assume that all fans wanted him here. The reality is quite probably way less.

& yet the opposite argument also applies because those same away fans where then calling for his head only a few weeks ago at Palace.

Can you see the double standard at work here or am I missing something?

So when are fans entitled to call for his head? When we are relegated? Is there a certain period you have to accept a manager is in charge because you sang his name before he joined the club? Are 2 seasons not long enough?

Ask your self this question then please.

Whose judgement does it best reflect on. The Managers or the fans?

You wanted him in & you now want him out.

So who subsequently fills this void? Logically from the above there's no point asking the fans.

Us fans are but mere mortals. We pay our money and base our decision on what we get for that money and what we are likely to get in the future if we keep spending our money on the same thing.

It is not now, ever has been, or ever will be, the fans task to select a successful manager for the football club.

You seem to talking down to those fans that could see what was happening. You shouldn't really judge others based on your need for undying support of Paul Lambert and lack of football knowledge.
Yes. Those same fans who wanted him here in the first place. Practically all 35,000 of them. If you are the exception to this fact then I bow to your superior fore sight, intellect & wisdom & subsequently demand the six numbers right now for this weekends National Lottery.
I know a lot of people that thought he was shite before he arrived and never wanted him. Certainly the 20/30 season ticket holders who frequent my local were not impressed with his appointment. I dont think it was as big a majority as you think
I think because a couple of thousand away fans sang his name at Norwich and because he isn't Alex McLeish people assume that all fans wanted him here. The reality is quite probably way less.
& yet the opposite argument also applies because those same away fans where then calling for his head only a few weeks ago at Palace.

So when are fans entitled to call for his head? When we are relegated? Is there a certain period you have to accept a manager is in charge because you sang his name before he joined the club? Are 2 seasons not long enough?

So who subsequently fills this void? Logically from the above there's no point asking the fans.

If the majority were calling for his head after a few games then I'd be agreeing with you point. But 2 whole seasons is a very long time in the modern game. When a club stands still or goes backwards in that time then fans are justified in wanting change regardless of whether they wanted the manager in the first place.

Since when has the club ever listened to the fans anyway?

when they appointed lambert??

If the majority were calling for his head after a few games then I'd be agreeing with you point. But 2 whole seasons is a very long time in the modern game. When a club stands still or goes backwards in that time then fans are justified in wanting change regardless of whether they wanted the manager in the first place.

Since when has the club ever listened to the fans anyway?

when they appointed lambert??

You think that was for the fans? No way. Lambert was the ideal choice out of the current managers available. Rogers went Liverpool and Martinez didn't want to join us.

If the owners listened to fans then Mcliesh would never have been employed.

So you never got anything wrong and changed your mind? The only man who never made a mistake has never done anything! Must be nice to be perfect? Or you could look at it in that if you shit yourself would you sit in it forever?

He's lucky to have not been personally lynched.

That is absolutely disgusting. I am done with this rubbish.

An unfortunate choice of phrase but I'm certain is was meant metaphorically.

I would like to no just what has happened to him as a manager?  After all he did quite well at Norwich City and he did not spend big there as i recall.  I was of a mind that after McClown got the boot then anybody could have done better, but then it would not have been hard.  So it would appear that he may have thought that the Villa job was doable, but now he realises that with the owner that we have it just ain't!!

I would like to no just what has happened to him as a manager? After all he did quite well at Norwich City and he did not spend big there as i recall. I was of a mind that after McClown got the boot then anybody could have done better, but then it would not have been hard. So it would appear that he may have thought that the Villa job was doable, but now he realises that with the owner that we have it just ain't!!

he has done more or less the same job with us as he did with Norwich. The difference is we are Aston Villa and they are Norwich.

• Like 1

An unfortunate choice of phrase but I'm certain is was meant metaphorically.

Oh course I was not advocating violence I was more meaning the torch and pitchfork brigade? (Again metaphorically I don't think he's worth the petrol for a burning at the stake) Only joking again!!!

• Like 3

I would like to no just what has happened to him as a manager? After all he did quite well at Norwich City and he did not spend big there as i recall. I was of a mind that after McClown got the boot then anybody could have done better, but then it would not have been hard. So it would appear that he may have thought that the Villa job was doable, but now he realises that with the owner that we have it just ain't!!

he has done more or less the same job with us as he did with Norwich. The difference is we are Aston Villa and they are Norwich.

With Norwich he at least had some success of a sort here he's had nothing but failure 

With Norwich he at least had some success of a sort here he's had nothing but failure 

With Norwich he built a group of players in the lower divisions and stamped his style, easier to progress a team through the divisions.

• Like 1

I have a funny feeling the players said the same to lambert months ago!!

• Like 2

I can see why people have different views, and we all see things in a different way but I'm surprised by the very black and white view a majority of the people on here seem to have.

The hatred towards him seems unjust, but I'm no advocate of blind support either. I don't understand how people can't get their heads round the fact that if your resources are continuously stripped then, however good you are at your job, the outcome will be worse every year. If Villa have got worse year on year is that because we keep getting worse managers or keep stripping back the talent. McLeish could call upon more experienced heads on far higher wages, and we just survived. We have stripped even further AND lost players to major injuries. How is this not a valid point?

If you think he's not good enough for Villa then fine, that's your right. But to state the reason for this as him buying Bowery instead of Milner or having less points than when we had better players is incredibly short sighted and exactly what Lerner wants. Wrong target.

For me, he's made mistakes like every other manager we've ever had. Some signings have been good, others awful but for me, he deserves at least a go with investment. I don't think any manager in the division would have got us much, if any higher, with the same limitations. It's not acceptable but it's too easy to put it on the manager.

• Like 1

Statements like above lose any sort of credibility in my eyes as soon as they suggest that no other manager could have done any better.

• Like 1

Statements like above lose any sort of credibility in my eyes as soon as they suggest that no other manager could have done any better.

That's nearly my view. I did say 'much'. I think with the level of investment, the wage limit and the injuries we've had this year it was always going to be a relegation battle. Another manager might have got us safe a game ago or we could be deeper in relegation trouble like Cardiff. I think the points haul would have been negligible. In fact, I think the only way we would have got more points is if we'd tried to play for more draws.

I can see why people have different views, and we all see things in a different way but I'm surprised by the very black and white view a majority of the people on here seem to have.

The hatred towards him seems unjust, but I'm no advocate of blind support either. I don't understand how people can't get their heads round the fact that if your resources are continuously stripped then, however good you are at your job, the outcome will be worse every year. If Villa have got worse year on year is that because we keep getting worse managers or keep stripping back the talent. McLeish could call upon more experienced heads on far higher wages, and we just survived. We have stripped even further AND lost players to major injuries. How is this not a valid point?

If you think he's not good enough for Villa then fine, that's your right. But to state the reason for this as him buying Bowery instead of Milner or having less points than when we had better players is incredibly short sighted and exactly what Lerner wants. Wrong target.

For me, he's made mistakes like every other manager we've ever had. Some signings have been good, others awful but for me, he deserves at least a go with investment. I don't think any manager in the division would have got us much, if any higher, with the same limitations. It's not acceptable but it's too easy to put it on the manager.

So having less points, more losses at home and having spent £20m in the summer can't be helped?

How have we stripped even further we have not lost one regular starter through stripping back!

Funnily enough injuries affect all teams during a season?

With Norwich he built a group of players in the lower divisions and stamped his style, easier to progress a team through the divisions.

Totally agree. I posted something similar a few months back. It is far easier to implement a successful style of football in the lower leagues. Norwich had experienced consistent winning and being at the top end of the league table for two years prior. That particular group of players knew how to win consistently and were full of confidence. There are other clubs in this division who started team building in the lower divisions and have had relative "success".

The requirements of this job are totally different. It is far more difficult to impose a new attractive style and win consistently in the Premiership, especially on a limited budget and being unable to attract key targets to enhance the team. This team has not learnt the habit of winning consistently nor is it full of confidence, I do believe there is talent within the squad though.

My biggest criticism of Lambert this season is the failure to utilise some of our best academy products, I think you need to take advantage of having one of the best youth set-ups in the country. 

Explain to me, if you can, how Lambert can go out and purchase a load of players and return a worse season than last season.

If Lambert read this thread would he top himself. It wouldn't be nice reading so much bad stuff about yourself. 

He probably wouldn't be able to make a very good job of that either.

Â