England v San Marino Euro 2016 Qualifer

andykeenan

Pre-qualify for a qualifying group?

Arsenal do it to get into the Champions League qualifying group every summer.

No they play qualifiers to get into the group stage of the main tournament.

That's what San Marino are doing now.

But there are different round of qualifiers, just like there are in most tournaments. Arsenal enter into the play off round of qualification, for example. There are 3 other qualifying rounds before that.

Premier League teams don't enter the FA cup until the 3rd round, for another example.

Why? Because there's no point in the champion of the Gibraltar Football league playing Arsenal to qualify for the champions league. They'd get absolutely hammered. It'd be great for them the first time, because they get to play Arsenal. But after the 10th year in a row getting smashed by a huge team, I'm sure the novelty would wear off.

As I'm sure it must have done for San Marino. It's a nice thing that some of their players get to play at Wembley for example. But is that worth the tonking they receive?

I don't disagree that it won't change. I understand why it won't, the bane of Football, money.

But that doesn't change the fact that it would be better for those nations, footballing wise, to have some sort of pre qualifying. Long term, it might be more financially beneficial for those nations to improve their football.

I'm sure the novelty of getting smashed 10-0 all the time has worn off by now. Surely they're not just happy to be there anymore?

And when San Marino get knocked out what do they do then?

Friendlies against larger nations? If they still want the money spinning games against the big boys.

The larger nations will be playing the qualifiers.

So they'd be left with no-one to play.

It's better that they play the big boys in qualifiers then play other minnows in friendlies.

I don't disagree that it won't change. I understand why it won't, the bane of Football, money.

But that doesn't change the fact that it would be better for those nations, footballing wise, to have some sort of pre qualifying. Long term, it might be more financially beneficial for those nations to improve their football.

I'm sure the novelty of getting smashed 10-0 all the time has worn off by now. Surely they're not just happy to be there anymore?

Friendlies against larger nations? If they still want the money spinning games against the big boys.

It's better that they play the big boys in qualifiers then play other minnows in friendlies.

I'm sure there's some way it could be worked out.

They deserve the right to try and qualify like any other UEFA nation. But they will never be a team that can get any kind of result. The population makes that impossible, so does seeding. They're always going to be stuck in a group of 6 with at least 4 teams who're capable of beating them with ease.

Because they are entitled to be in as FIFA and UEFA members?  I mean, I'm sure the some of the big boys in the Premier League think it's a waste of time having to play against the likes of Aston Villa but should we bend over backwards to the whims of the big boys any more than we currently do? 

Dont understand your comparison rev, san marnio have never won a game, in fact have they ever drawn a game? There has never been a prem side who have not won a game all season. Even the poorest sides in england win games. San Marnio, Andorra, Faroe islands these countries offer nothing but pointless games 

That question made me wonder and apparently they have won a game once, against Lichtenstein in a 2004 friendly and have also recorded a draw against them, Turkey and Latvia.

And have scored 18 goals in total, conceding 528 which is an average of over 4 goals conceded per game with an average of 1 goal scored every 6-7 games.

Holland have scored the most goals against them with 39.

Yes, I am bored.

Who is going to want to play a friendly against San Marino? What is in it for the opposing nation?

plus the bigger nations wouldnt want to play them in a friendly unless they are neighbours

As I'm sure it must have done for San Marino. It's a nice thing that some of their players get to play at Wembley for example. But is that worth the tonking they receive?

Judging by the match threads on here you'd think they were the ones giving us a smacking. :lol:

But it must become tiresome. There is no fun in regularly losing like that and all the condescending "Oh well done, you had a shot on target!" stuff they get.

Â