England v San Marino Euro 2016 Qualifer

andykeenan

Yes San Marino are shit, but their players have put more effort in than I have ever seen the likes of Rooney put in, in an England shirt.

Absolute nonsense, Rooney, as he always does, put in a proper shift. Criticise the quality by all means, but he never stopped running, chasing down dead balls, trying to score until the last minutes.

• Like 4

Slovakia scored a beauty against Spain to go 2-1 up. 

Imagine the reaction on here if we lost to a side like that in a qualifier? It's bad enough when we have a comfortable win in Switzerland who're supposedly good. 

but spains plays the gud passing football tho!!!!!!

• Like 1

Wilshere man of the match?? What on earth for? He's been incredibly average as he usually is.

...because the ridiculous ITV coverage and sponsor backing demands a MOTM. Utterly pointless considering the 'competitive' nature of the game,  but pick any name out of the 11 and you would get lambasted.

...and I wouldn't suggest picking a San Marino player?

No way Wilshire Motm. Milner best player on pitch for me. Chambers was very poor, clyne should've played. Rooney should've got more, wrong options for his two chances, first keeper has stood tall so roll the ball in. Second straight after the first (maybe playing on his mind). Keeper went down early and should've been chipped rather than taking it round the keeper.

Chambers has looked poor every time I've seen him play for club or country.

A perfect example of someone getting in the England team because he suddenly got a move to a big club.

Only 5-0? Were England really poor or were San Marino really good?

Had a wrongly disallowed goal, keeper made 2/3 good saves. Pretty dead game though mostly.

Like most Euro 2016 qualifiers thanks to Platini making half of Europe able to get to the finals now. Even the Welsh have a chance. Yes, its that easy. Well done Michel, you have shat on a good tournament for money, and have created a pointless bloated mess of international football for 2 years. With that sort of visionary thinking he should be a shoe-in for the FIFA job when Blatter dies.

Some fascinating facts about San Marino!

1) It's small. Slightly smaller than Manhattan, and about 2.5% of the size of Rhode Island. 

2) It's hilly. There are no flat parts. 

3) It had the world's first democratically-elected communist government, from 1945 to 1957. 

4) Prior to that, San Marino had declared war on Austria-Hungary during World War I. They then forgot to attend the peace conferences at Versailles and Sevres, so when they wanted to declare war on Britain (boo hiss!) in the Second World War, they had to hurriedly sign a peace treaty with Germany first. 

5) The San Marino Grand Prix was never in San Marino, but 100km away. They stopped running that race in 2006! Shows how long I haven't paid attention for, I thought it still happened. 

6) San Marino have never won an Olympic medal. One woman finished in a three-way tie for second in trap shooting in 2012, but then went out first in the play-off, meaning she finished fourth. That sucks! Here's a picture of her, carrying a flag and looking lonely:

Alessandra+Perilli+2012+Olympic+Games+Op

7) San Marino are ranked joint last in FIFA's rankings with Bhutan. This is impressively bad, given that Bhutan essentially retired from international football for 2 years between 2010 and 2012. 

This list was probably really boring to read, but, on the other hand, I'll wager it's no duller than the games was to watch. Can someone remind me of all the excellent reasons why these teams don't have to play a pre-qualifying tournament again?

• Like 1

Chambers has looked poor every time I've seen him play for club or country.

A perfect example of someone getting in the England team because he suddenly got a move to a big club.

I don't think he is a RB.

Does not look very comfortable on the ball, and makes Carragher look like Cafu in terms of attacking play.

I would have started Clyne, a proper flying full back against a defensive side, Roy probably went for more defensive minded Chambers though. Safety first. Even against San Marino.

Â