England v San Marino Euro 2016 Qualifer

andykeenan

Because they are entitled to be in as FIFA and UEFA members?  I mean, I'm sure the some of the big boys in the Premier League think it's a waste of time having to play against the likes of Aston Villa but should we bend over backwards to the whims of the big boys any more than we currently do? 

• Like 3

yep, theres 54 FAs in UEFA, they have a vote for the shittest 16 teams to have a per qualification qualification round, all of us think its a good idea because we dont have to play shit like san marino anymore

the lowest ranked 16 FAs are voting no straight away

the middle ranked teams will see the minnows as the only chance of getting wins that they'll have, they'll all beat the minnows, snatch some wins, snatch some draws, so thats the likes of austria, wales, slovenia, slovakia, etc all voting no

thats the vote done...

its not going to happen, its why platini got elected, its why blatter keeps getting elected, you look after the minnows with the votes

Edited by villa4europe

Because they are entitled to be in as FIFA and UEFA members?  I mean, I'm sure the some of the big boys in the Premier League think it's a waste of time having to play against the likes of Aston Villa but should we bend over backwards to the whims of the big boys any more than we currently do? 

That's not a good analogy to be fair. Teams in the premier league, no matter how poor, win games sometimes. Teams like san marino, Andorra, etc. are just a farce. They should have to go through a pre-qualifying selection but I can't see it ever happening because of the corruption in football and the ridiculous way it's run.

its not corruption!

if someone suggested that the relegation places in the prem was extended to the bottom 8 teams would you expect it to pass a vote? those expected to finish at the bottom would say no, those expected to finish in the middle would say no, those expected to be at the top can vote yes (but deep down they enjoy beating these teams anyway) but they'd be out voted regardless

same thing with these little national teams, it'd be turkeys voting for christmas, they're not going to vote themselves out of playing england are they?

that's democracy for you

On the plus side, the new lighting on the Wembley Arch is fantastic.

Saw that in the flesh (so to speak) (NO DONNIE! I NEED A BRACKET HERE! I WON'T APOLOGISE)

And yeah, it looks brilliant at night.

That's not a good analogy to be fair. Teams in the premier league, no matter how poor, win games sometimes. Teams like san marino, Andorra, etc. are just a farce. They should have to go through a pre-qualifying selection but I can't see it ever happening because of the corruption in football and the ridiculous way it's run.

The point is, for me, that pre-qualifying would be beneficial for the minnows.

It's not just a case of us saying "let's shove them in their own group so we don't have to waste time playing them". It would improve them, I'm sure of it.

Nobody benefits from San Marino getting spanked every time they play. Nobody. Although I'm sure their FA's bank accounts do which is probably the reason why it will never change.

But you can't convince me that those nations wouldn't improve, footballing wise, if they were playing competitive games against teams they had at least a slight chance of getting anything from.

Pre-qualify for a qualifying group?

Yes! Is it that hard to process?

It shouldn't be, because the federations of Africa, Asia, North America and Oceania all have at least one round of preliminaries, and in some cases 3 or 4. South America only doesn't have one because there aren't enough nations to make one worthwhile, and anyway even the weakest teams like Peru still get results sometimes. Only in Europe do we have the utterly ridiculous situation of teams of postmen kicking seven shades of shit out of professionals in the name of 'fairness'. San Marino last scored an away goal in a competitive match two months before Raheem Sterling was born. I mean no disrespect to the country, but they haven't done anything - at all - to deserve the time of top nations in the continent, and they way they - especially Andorra - play the game (which is to say trying to make up their obvious skill deficit by physicality and 'getting in their faces') does nothing to endear them. 

The point is, for me, that pre-qualifying would be beneficial for the minnows.

It's not just a case of us saying "let's shove them in their own group so we don't have to waste time playing them". It would improve them, I'm sure of it.

Nobody benefits from San Marino getting spanked every time they play. Nobody. Although I'm sure their FA's bank accounts do which is probably the reason why it will never change.

But you can't convince me that those nations wouldn't improve, footballing wise, if they were playing competitive games against teams they had at least a slight chance of getting anything from.

if a change was ever made then the "proper" qualifying round or the tournament themselves would have to subsidise the teams that played in the pre qualifiers 

This. If they were playing competitive games then maybe fans of the smaller countries would get interested in football and go to games and the team would have something to play for. As it is why bother watching your team get spanked every game.

if someone suggested that the relegation places in the prem was extended to the bottom 8 teams would you expect it to pass a vote?

Why are people comparing it to the premier league, it's not a proper comparison. This is amateurs (and rank amateurs at that) playing against multi-millionaire professionals. It's lambs to the slaughter. Pre-qualifying is an extremely sensible idea and that's why UEFA will never implement it.

This. If they were playing competitive games then maybe fans of the smaller countries would get interested in football and go to games and the team would have something to play for. As it is why bother watching your team get spanked every game.

if someone suggested that the relegation places in the prem was extended to the bottom 8 teams would you expect it to pass a vote?

Why are people comparing it to the premier league, it's not a proper comparison. This is amateurs (and rank amateurs at that) playing against multi-millionaire professionals. It's lambs to the slaughter. Pre-qualifying is an extremely sensible idea and that's why UEFA will never implement it.

the level they play at might not be the same as the premier league but the way decisions are made is exactly the same

each team has a vote, they need to get to a certain number of teams in agreement in order to pass any changes (for some reason i think in the prem its 14, not sure why)

any changes that were made to the qualification system for UEFA would be voted on by each FA, england would get 1 vote, san marino would get 1 vote

not sure why its so hard to understand that there are more minnows and poor teams in europe that wouldnt want this than there are big teams that would

I don't disagree that it won't change. I understand why it won't, the bane of Football, money.

But that doesn't change the fact that it would be better for those nations, footballing wise, to have some sort of pre qualifying. Long term, it might be more financially beneficial for those nations to improve their football.

I'm sure the novelty of getting smashed 10-0 all the time has worn off by now. Surely they're not just happy to be there anymore?

San Marino has a population of about 30k?

I am not sure how much they can improve by to be honest. I don't know what I would prefer, to shuttle off into the wilderness never to return or have some days out playing some of the finest footballers in Europe, in some of the finest cities, in some of the finest stadiums.

San Marino has a population of about 30k?

I am not sure how much they can improve by to be honest. I don't know what I would prefer, to shuttle off into the wilderness never to return or have some days out playing some of the finest footballers in Europe, in some of the finest cities, in some of the finest stadiums.

I think it's roughly 33K

Seeing as there was roughly 34K empty seats in Wembley last night its pretty clear that a nation like this shouldn't be playing England

I don't disagree that it won't change. I understand why it won't, the bane of Football, money.

But that doesn't change the fact that it would be better for those nations, footballing wise, to have some sort of pre qualifying. Long term, it might be more financially beneficial for those nations to improve their football.

I'm sure the novelty of getting smashed 10-0 all the time has worn off by now. Surely they're not just happy to be there anymore?

And when San Marino get knocked out what do they do then?

Pre-qualify for a qualifying group?

Arsenal do it to get into the Champions League qualifying group every summer.

No they play qualifiers to get into the group stage of the main tournament.

That's what San Marino are doing now.

And when San Marino get knocked out what do they do then?

Friendlies against larger nations? If they still want the money spinning games against the big boys.

Because they are entitled to be in as FIFA and UEFA members?  I mean, I'm sure the some of the big boys in the Premier League think it's a waste of time having to play against the likes of Aston Villa but should we bend over backwards to the whims of the big boys any more than we currently do? 

Dont understand your comparison rev, san marnio have never won a game, in fact have they ever drawn a game? There has never been a prem side who have not won a game all season. Even the poorest sides in england win games. San Marnio, Andorra, Faroe islands these countries offer nothing but pointless games 

Â