SIFF World Cup

Stevo985

Do people voting for kangaroos realise that they can't move their legs independently of each other?

Incorrect. They move their legs simultaneously because it is more efficient. They move their legs independently when scratching and swimming. A kangaroo with a human brain would also have far greater proprioception than a normal kangaroo. 

• Like 1

Match reports will be up this evening. I'll leave voting open until around 7:30 p.m. as it's very close so don't want to be accused of cutting it off when I agree with the outcome.

Do people voting for kangaroos realise that they can't move their legs independently of each other?

Incorrect. They move their legs simultaneously because it is more efficient. They move their legs independently when scratching and swimming. A kangaroo with a human brain would also have far greater proprioception than a normal kangaroo. 

"Kangaroos don't walk on all fours because, except when swimming, they can't move their hind legs independently of each other"

.As far as I can work out a Kangaroo uses it's 'arms' to scratch itself.

A Chimpanzee with a human brain would also have far greater proprioception than a normal Chimpanzee.

Edited by useless

"Kangaroos don't walk on all fours because, except when swimming, they can't move their hind legs independently of each other"

A Chimpanzee with a human brain would also have far greater proprioception than a normal Chimpanzee.

I don't know where your quote is from but it seems to be written by someone who has never seen a kangaroo. Kangaroos don't walk on all fours because that would be highly inefficient.

Also the idea that they can't move their legs independently except when swimming is ridiculous. What magical properties does water have that allows kangaroos extra motor function when in contact with it?

Also, chimps are far far cleverer than kangaroos so the proprioceptive gains that they would make would be far far smaller.

I don't know where your quote is from but it seems to be written by someone who has never seen a kangaroo. Kangaroos don't walk on all fours because that would be highly inefficient.

Also the idea that they can't move their legs independently except when swimming is ridiculous. What magical properties does water have that allows kangaroos extra motor function when in contact with it?

Also, chimps are far far cleverer than kangaroos so the proprioceptive gains that they would make would be far far smaller.

The quote was on the 'Wiki how stuff works' website but if you Google it, it is all over the web as one of those interesting facts about Kangaroos. The reason they don't walk on all fours is because they aren't physically able to do so. They've evolved to hop as it's more efficient and a consequence of this they're not  able to move their hind legs independently of each other except when in the water.

It doesn't matter that a Chimp is cleverer than a Kangaroo. In this tournament they both have human brains and so cognitively they're are on an equal footing. Maybe the Chimps have an advantage because their Physiology may be better suited to working with a human brain.

Edited by useless

The quote was on the 'Wiki how stuff works' website but if you Google it, it is all over the web as one of those interesting facts about Kangaroos. 

Wherever it was from, as I've pointed (barring some unknown miracle water magic) out it's nonsense. I've even seen a kangaroo scratch its head/neck with its leg (like a dog does) with my own eyes.

The reason they don't walk on all fours is because they aren't physically able to do so. 

No, they definitely can walk on all fours but don't do it very often because it's inefficient. The same reason humans don't walk on all fours.

they're not  able to move their hind legs independently of each other except when in the water.

Do you honestly believe this?! What possible reason could there be for this?

It doesn't matter that a Chimp is cleverer than a Kangaroo in this tournament they both have human brains and so cognitively they're are on an equal footing.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough but the reason I pointed out that chimps are cleverer was because that means the jump to human level intelligence (and the benefits that come with it) would be far less.

Edited by ArteSuave

Here is Google search list of sites that state that Kangaroos can only move their legs simultaneously. We can't swim on land but we can in water, there is nothing magical about that. And I don't believe that you've seen a Kangaroo scratch itself with it's hind legs.

Also I'm sure we're presuming that the animals were born with human brains and so don't have to suddenly adapt to the situation. And even if a transplant were to take place midlife, the Chimps would cope better than a Kangaroo as it's brain would be more similar to that of a humans and as I've said it's physiology would be a better match for obvious reasons.

You should be thanking me anyway, as people will vote for the Kangaroos knowing that I'm arguing against them. But to be honest I'm not saying I want them to lose.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

ArteSuave, I've just read a comment from someone who claims to have worked in a Zoo who agrees with me that they can't move their hind legs independently but they can just about do a bit of a movement that allows them to scratch themselves,. So I'm sorry for doubting that, until proven otherwise.

I don't care who wins just as long as it's the best team.

• Like 1

We can't swim on land but we can in water, there is nothing magical about that.

:blink: Are you winding me up?

The point is that they can move their legs independently in the water (which you agree to) so obviously they can do the same out of water. No matter what any googled sites say, it is so obvious I can't believe I've been suckered in to debating it.

Also I'm sure we're presuming that the animals were born with human brains and so don't have to suddenly adapt to the situation. 

Yes undoubtedly. The idea is that kangaroos we see today are really stupid and their tiny brains can't control their bodies optimally whereas the chimps we see are relatively clever. A kangaroo with a human brain would be far superior to one with a kangaroo brain whereas a chimp with a human brain wouldn't enjoy the same degree of superiority over its normal-brained counterpart.

You should be thanking me anyway, as people will vote for the Kangaroos knowing that I'm arguing against them. But to be honest I'm not saying I want them to lose.

I think you've credited yourself with far too much influence there. Nobody is going to vote for the kangaroos based on the fact you're arguing against them. To be honest I think everyone who has voted did so without reading any of this utter garbage between us imbeciles.

I love how serious we all get arguing all these hypothetical, impossible to realise situations.

I reckon this is all just a social experiment by Stevo to make us all look like crazies.

• Like 1

I love how serious we all get arguing all these hypothetical, impossible to realise situations.

Like useless says, we all just want (who we percieve to be) the best team to win.

I couldn't sleep at night if I'd stood idly by while some hairy arsed chimps had been allowed to waltz past the undisputed kings of animal athleticism. :lol:

• Like 1

When a Kangaroo is in water it isn't upright so when it moves one foot forward it isn't balancing on the other foot but floating in the water, the water acts as a support, I'm not very good at wording it but you know what I mean.

Listen the main takeaway is that Kangaroos can't move their legs independently of each other on land that's just a fact which I suspect by now that your aware of.

And guess what even if Kangaroos could move their legs independently of each other they'd be about as useful as trying to play wearing skis, such is the shape of their legs.

Edited by useless

If a Kangaroo tries to move one leg without the other in any meaningful way it just falls over. And another thing they can't walk/hop backwards. It would take like a century for one those things just to turn around.

It doesn't matter how far they can jump if they haven't got the football.

Edited by useless