SIFF World Cup

Stevo985

Went for a pub lunch so didn't have time to write the match reports on my break. Plus got no laptop at home and you can get to **** if you think I'm writing them on my phone :)

So the matches have taken place, but you'll have to wait until tomorrow to read the reports...

Semi Finals are scheduled for Friday, with the Final to follow on Sunday

Match 11 - Gorillas vs Elephants

The penultimate quarter final saw the much fancied Gorillas coming up against the brute force of the Elephants.
The gorillas remained one of the favourites to win the tournament but knew they faced a tough task, with the Elephant proving in the last round that they were capable of an upset with their (ironic) giant killing heroics.

The elephants had a large following, with the majority of their squad being of the African persuasion as opposed to their Indian cousins, so the atmosphere was very much a home one for them. The Gorillas had their fair share though, with a large contingent having made the trip from various jungles.

The game got off to a ferocious start, with huge challenges flying in , mainly from the gorillas. It seemed a strange tactic against the might of the elephants, but it seems their manager had sent them out to rough the elephants up. A two footed challenge from Faustino Gorilla went unpunished but the Gorilla playmaker was unable to finish when the ball bobbled free as he saw his shot rebound off the steadfast Elephant Goalkeeper.

But it was the Gorillas who took the lead with a quarter of the game elapsed. A high looping corner was trunked away by the elephant keeper, but having had to scurry to the penalty spot to make the clearance he was beautifully lobbed by king kong with a deft first time volley, his opposable big toe making it easy to caress the ball into the net.

The elephants defended admirably, but were rather tuskless in attack. A few long direct balls found their targets but the strikers’ control was slow and their turning circle non-existent, and the gorillas were always able to nip in and steal the ball before launching a dangerous counter attack. The Elephants’ saviour was their goalkeeper, Elephant Der Sar who, despite his earlier error, kept the score at 1-0.

That’s how the teams went in at the break, with the elephants needing some inspiration from their manager to mount any meaningful attacks.

And that inspiration materialised, as the elephants came out rejuvenated and hit back almost immediately. Again it was a set piece that found them success, a long free kick from deep finding Robin Elephant Persie in the box who extended a tall trunk to prod the ball past the sprawling keeper.

That’s how the scored stayed until 5 minutes before the end. The Elephants had continued their improvement and their direct play saw the gorillas pinned back in their own box. However, when a long Elephant ball was intercepted by Congo, who set Faustino Gorilla free, the counter attack ended in a goal as the Columbian squared for the Great Grape Ape to finish at the back post.

Despite a frantic last 5 minutes, that’s how the game ended. The elephants collapsed in disappointment as the Gorillas took the crowd’s adulation. A rigid display as one of the top seeds moved forward to the semi finals.

Result - Gorillas 2 - 1 Elephants
  • Like 3

giphy.gif

But I DID make a note of the score..

Any video of this event Mr Stevo?

I did get some.

But after that reaction to my report, I've permanently destroyed it.

You're banned from all future SIFF World Cups

• Like 3

I wouldn't listen to him when it comes to writing stories and selling them, Stevo.

I'm still trying to get that story of his about the two cops on a stakeout out of my head.

• Like 1

I wouldn't listen to him when it comes to writing stories and selling them, Stevo.

I'm still trying to get that story of his about the two cops on a stakeout out of my head.

:crylaugh:

There's plenty more where that came from, as Paddywhack and Rob182 will testify :lol:

Bracket in OP updated. Polls added.

Now it's getting serious.

I'm still backing the kangaroos. I think, in all seriousness, if this were possible then they'd take it over the chimps. Too much power and speed.

Humans vs Gorillas would be very interesting. I'd still back the human team I think but would be very close imo.

How on earth did you trick someone into marrying you? 

I genuinely can't tell whether you're a dumb mother****er or a genius sometimes :P

I have split personality disorder, you offensive word removed.

• Like 1