National Anthem

Eames

Should "God Save the Queen/King" be replaced as the National Anthem  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Should "What would you like to see replace it?

• Nothing. Don't change it
    • Land of Hope and Glory
    • Jerusalem
    • I Vow to Thee My Country
    • Something better than the jingoistic nonsense above

Inspired by discussion in the Commonwealth Games thread. Should God Save the Queen be replaced as the National Anthem?

What should it be replaced with?

Edited by bickster

I vote Jerusalem, but only as the English national anthem. Probably plum for IVTTMC, as a British national anthem. GSTQ is an dirge, and as an agnostic, anti-monarchist, the meaning of the song is wasted on me.

Edited by dAVe80

We need something a bit more upbeat. All the South Americans bellowing out their fast paced anthems even after the music stopped really gets them up for the games whereas ours sounds like a funeral march and we then (fittingly) proceed to get buried.

The theme from 'Ski Sunday'. 

Just La La along with it.

Smack my b-tch up.  :P

If it's the Prodigy, I'd go for 'Claustrophobic Sting'. No words, just maniacal laughter.

Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah as performed by Portishead.

It's American!

'Song Of The South' has been unavailable in the States for yonks because of race issues.

Jerusalem is a cracking tune, but the words - while a fascinating example of Blake's poetry - are anachronistic religious tosh. 

Land of Hope and Glory is also a cracking tune, but the words are anachronistic imperialist tosh. 

As I said upthread, I'd rather we didn't have one at all, but if we must, I'd prefer an instrumental, with no lyrics at all. 

Jerusalem is a cracking tune, but the words - while a fascinating example of Blake's poetry - are anachronistic religious tosh. 

Land of Hope and Glory is also a cracking tune, but the words are anachronistic imperialist tosh. 

As I said upthread, I'd rather we didn't have one at all, but if we must, I'd prefer an instrumental, with no lyrics at all. 

Thats why my vote was I Vow to Thee My Country. The least tosh of whats available.

Â