Best place to sell a car?

jackbauer24

I'm selling my car and it's on eBay and Gumtree. I won't give a link cos I'm not sure that's allowed on these forums!

There would be auto trader but that's another £10 or so and wondering if anyone has any advise on other places I could advertise/ sell.

We buy any car offered at £4.5k

P/X was offered at £5k

Privately they go for about £7k but I have 40 watcher and no bids - about week left.

Not in a rush at all to sell but can't buy new car til old one sold. If it takes three months it takes three months!

What are people's experiences selling privately? Only ever done p/x before.

what Stevo said. Autotrader works (or did for me). e bay are robbing gets - the fees they charge will be way more than might be considered fair by many.

when you're looking at thousands for a car, a tenner here or there is of no consequence, but if it means you sell, then it's worth it. Autotrader likely to be cheaper in the end if you sell.

If you want a quick sale, go with eBay.

If you want a sale for the price you want with probably better human beings involved, go with AT.

I think eBay can only charge a maximum of £40 though.

• Like 1

If you're looking to sell your car for 7k, why are you worried about a tenner to put it on Auto Trader?

I'd go for that to be honest.

Yeah fair point I suppose. Already spent £10 on eBay one. Probably put it on Auto trader in a bit then.

My mate sold his car in 4 days last week on autotrader, I sold mine in a week a few years ago so you can get quick sales on there as well.

Oh and to help, post a link to your advert on Facebook and ask your friends in the local area to share it for you. Just think how many people that will put it in front of...

• 2 weeks later...

Well it went on eBay, sold to an idiot who wanted me to wait til end of month so he could pick it up having not seen car in person. Very limited communication. Dead end.

Put it on Gumtree. Limited responses, one guy wants it but possibly a bit of a dreamer. Not heard from since.

Put it on Autotrader. Loads of advert views. One guy gets friend to testdrive it, agrees price and just wants to 'check colour' at local dealer (it's black!). Not heard from since. Oh, and Autotrader actually cost nearly £40 for two week advert, not a tenner as I thought.

It's cheapest in country including private sales. Has below avg miles. Has nearly a year MOT and tax with brand new tyres and is in very good condition and is a popular make/ model. So why isn't my hand being bitten off for it? Priced around £6k. Do people spend that much privately?

Bit stuck what to do. There's always we buy any car but that's such a rip off and not that desperate/ urgent. Any more ideas?

Edited by jackbauer24

Well it went on eBay, sold to an idiot who wanted me to wait til end of month so he could pick it up having not seen car in person. Very limited communication. Dead end.

Put it on Gumtree. Limited responses, one guy wants it but possibly a bit of a dreamer. Not heard from since.

Put it on Autotrader. Loads of advert views. One guy gets friend to testdrive it, agrees price and just wants to 'check colour' at local dealer (it's black!). Not heard from since. Oh, and Autotrader actually cost nearly £40 for two week advert, not a tenner as I thought.

It's cheapest in country including private sales. Has below avg miles. Has nearly a year MOT and tax with brand new tyres and is in very good condition and is a popular make/ model. So why isn't my hand being bitten off for it? Priced around £6k. Do people spend that much privately?

Bit stuck what to do. There's always we buy any car but that's such a rip off and not that desperate/ urgent. Any more ideas?

Give it to BOF, he drives around Ireland getting little girls and boys to paint him naked on it..

Or so I hear..

Â