Group G: GER POR GHA USA

limpid

Don't want Klose to break the record

I agree. Klose is an excellent finisher, but has had four world cups, won nothing, and most of those goals were ugly tap ins.

Ronaldo is one of the very best in the history of the sport, scored some great world cup goals and drove Brazil to victory 2002 with his haul. 

• Like 1

I'll applaud him. Its a great achievement.

But he's nothing compared to Ronaldo and I think it would be a shame if the record was taken away from one of the greatest players who ever lived by Klose who, whilst being a very good player, isn't on the same level

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

His international record is excellent, his club record not so excellent, he was hardly super prolific at Kaiserslauten and his time at Bayern was a bit of a car crash from what I can remember. 

But still, I think it'd be a shame for him to over take an all time great like Ronaldo, most of Klose's world cup goals were against mickey mouse opponents, Ronaldo really did light up 1998 and 2002. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

...most of Klose's world cup goals were against mickey mouse opponents, Ronaldo really did light up 1998 and 2002. 

I don't think there's that much in it. Klose has scored against Argentina (in two different tournaments), England, Ghana, Cameroon & Ireland. Ronaldo has scored against Germany, Netherlands, Turkey, Chile, Ghana & Belgium.

Edited by Corcaigh

Klose is a example of longevity, persistence and hard work over natural ability. It will be a wonderful achievement if he breaks Ronaldo's record, but it doesn't take anything away from how good Ronaldo was. He was one of the best of all time. 

As an aside, just looked up Gerd Muller's club record - it is magnificent! 

• Like 2

Gerd muller for bayern -

League 398 goals in 453 games

Cup 78 goals in 62 games

Europe 70 goals in 79 games

For Germany it's 68 goals in 62 games

Think I once put muller on the table during a best players ever discussion and it didn't get shot down but others suggested that despite the stats he'll never be considered in that bracket, I think history will be the same with klose and Ronaldo,even if klose breaks the record he'll be considered as favourably

• Like 1

Gerd muller for bayern -

League 398 goals in 453 games

Cup 78 goals in 62 games

Europe 70 goals in 79 games

For Germany it's 68 goals in 62 games

Think I once put muller on the table during a best players ever discussion and it didn't get shot down but others suggested that despite the stats he'll never be considered in that bracket, I think history will be the same with klose and Ronaldo,even if klose breaks the record he'll be considered as favourably

As out and out goalscorers go, he's got to be up there with the very best. With Messi and C Ronaldo, we've come used to seeing a goal a game scoring record, but in the 70's, 80's and 90's it was almost unheard of. Maybe Muller's legacy is somewhat questioned by the fact he never played outside of the dominant team in Germany in the prime of his career. 

Edited by Xela

I'm dead nervous about the game today. I've never been nervous for a USA match before, just Villa. I'd like to think we have a chance, especially if Portugal carry on the way they did vs. Germany. But I know it's a lot more likely that they'll hammer us.

I'm dead nervous about the game today. I've never been nervous for a USA match before, just Villa. I'd like to think we have a chance, especially if Portugal carry on the way they did vs. Germany. But I know it's a lot more likely that they'll hammer us.

I think it'll be tight.

So that means one team will demolish the other.

Really looking forward to USA vs Portugal later, I have my doubts over how fit Ronaldo actually is considering he is been pictured in training with strapping on his knee and had to be carried off the training pitch the other day with an ice pack strapped to his knee.

In tonight's match, if Portugal come crashing down on U.S.A, and hurt them inside, they've gotta take a stand, it won't help to hide.

There's got to be some team unity, their players have to have the mindset of "If you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride, I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,"

This is real America, they'll have to fight for the rights of every man, fight for what's right, fight for their lives!

• Like 1