Midweek football 20/24 April

andykeenan

They were much better to watch last year.

Yeah. I thought appointing Pep was odd but hoped he would change his style to what Bayern and Dortmund had been playing because it's just better. But apparently not. Why is he making players like Robben, Ribery, Muller, Mandzukic play such heavy possession slow tempo shite? It's so obviously not suited to them.

I mean they're still going to destroy everybody in the league because they are that much better than everybody else but they've not convinced me in a single game against top teams. Scraped past Man Utd ffs.

35% possession, Ancelotti out!

It may have been somewhat cagey, but it was a world better than the Chelsea sludgefest.

Yep and although some people find Bayern boring, they kept pushing for the equaliser, right until the end of the game when they very nearly scored. Fair play to Real, they defended very well for 90 minutes.

Yeah. I thought appointing Pep was odd but hoped he would change his style to what Bayern and Dortmund had been playing because it's just better. But apparently not. Why is he making players like Robben, Ribery, Muller, Mandzukic play such heavy possession slow tempo shite? It's so obviously not suited to them.

I mean they're still going to destroy everybody in the league because they are that much better than everybody else but they've not convinced me in a single game against top teams. Scraped past Man Utd ffs.

Their performance at the Etihad was one of the best club performances I've ever seen

Their performance at the Etihad was one of the best club performances I've ever seen

and the performance by Hazard that night was as good a performance there has been by any player this season.

and the performance by Hazard that night was as good a performance there has been by any player this season.

Huh?

• Like 2

It's his first season.

They're changing from one style to another. It's a season of transition. 

And in this season of transition they've own the league, are in the final of the German Cup and the semi finals of the champions league.

I think he's doing pretty well if you ask me.

I'm sure Bayern hired Pep because THEY wanted HIS style. Not the other way around. That will take time. And in the interim, they've achieved what they've achieved this season.

the pace of the tempo was undoubtedly their undoing but strangely he came out after the game and said they played slow on purpose, something along the lines of the quicker you attack the quicker they can counter attack and madrid are the best counter attacking team in the world, some there was some method behind it last night

i think his problem is that he doesnt want this team to play the way they did last year or the way that barca did, he wants this team to be distinguishable and in the league its worked but in the champions league its struggling (i say struggling, semi final with a winnable second leg in a competition that no club has ever retained)

It's his first season.

They're changing from one style to another. It's a season of transition. 

And in this season of transition they've own the league, are in the final of the German Cup and the semi finals of the champions league.

I think he's doing pretty well if you ask me.

I'm sure Bayern hired Pep because THEY wanted HIS style. Not the other way around. That will take time. And in the interim, they've achieved what they've achieved this season.

It didn't really need to be transition though did it? Transition back to something that has shown to be a little less effective than it once was.

I think Bayern got him because they saw the chance with Heynckes getting on and Guardiola being available. He's never going to do badly, they've had an incredible domestic season and they're in the semi's whilst still probably being favourites to win everything, it just seems like a slight step backwards. But I'd take the way Dortmund, last seasons Bayern etc play over any Pep team so I'm probably slightly bias anyway.

His new thing with using FB's as somewhere between CM's and wingers is a bit odd though. They almost never try overlap so when the balls gets out to Robben/Ribery they're just forced to pass it backwards. It keeps possession but **** it's dull.

And what did they do when they were still 1-0 down in the 2nd half? Put the ball into the box. They weren't even proper crosses from wingers, they were balls chipped in from deep. Guardiola truly has no plan b. He's fortunately the quality of teams he's been able to manage mean he doesn't often need a plan b.

Â