Houseguests?

Xann

The Childhood thread got me thinking about the family household as I was growing up.

From about the age of 8 til leaving home at 19, there must have been only a few months where there wasn't a non family member living in our house.

The old boy was doing alright, we didn't need the money or anything. Rent was nominal, more a courtesy really. There was always just some waif or stray that needed lodging.

A friend of the family post divorce, sandwiched between a succession of my sister's friends (ooer).

Later in flatshares it was generally the same, sometimes people stayed for weeks.

When I told my girlfriend this, she was horrified - Living with other people - by choice?!

Even when I explained they were friends of the family and not randoms or freeloaders, she was dubious.

These days many of our friends have fled London. Mostly to find greener pastures for their young broods, but a couple simply to get more bang for their buck.

We've had a steady stream of houseguests staying since, both for work in town and play.

The girlfriend has come right round. We've really enjoyed having bods about, it's been cool B)

So who are VT's happy hosts and who are the hermits?

Couldn't do it, I don't even enjoy having friends over for the evening, never mind staying for days or weeks. I like to keep my home just for me - it's the one place in the world where I don't have to put up with people's shit.

• Like 1

I have a lodger now. He's a totally normal, friendly guy.

But I hate having to have a lodger. If I didn't need the rent I'd definitely do without, even though I get a nice chunk of cash every month.

I'm definitely not a happy host.

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with friends or family visiting for a couple of days. But living with someone is crap, IMO.

Why didn't you just choose a single attractive female lodger which would make your present situation a bit more pleasant?

I did but she dropped out at the last minute.

We went through this in the relationship thread.

A stunning Portuguese air hostess came to see the room, wanted it, but dropped out at the last minute :(

Why didn't you just choose a single attractive female lodger which would make your present situation a bit more pleasant?

I did but she dropped out at the last minute.

We went through this in the relationship thread.

A stunning Portuguese air hostess came to see the room, wanted it, but dropped out at the last minute :(

that really is 7 shades of shit. but good news if u want a relationship with a lady ...

We never used to, but yeah we do now have fairly regular house guests and it's quite nice.

To be honest, I'm away a couple of nights a week so it's a little bit like a B&B here.

Just got to set the rules out early, if you're staying I'm not waiting on you like a guest that's turned up for a meal. Get your own drinks and snacks.

I don't like people, I don't like guests. I don't even allow my mom and dad into my flat.

I have actually put a ban on all people entering my flat at all, it normally ends up in massive drinking sessions and me having to apologize to my neighbors for the racket that was made.

The thought of having people I don't know come into my home makes me really uneasy, not only do I not like people but I don't trust them either, **** that I live on my own for a reason, I don't want to see or speak to people unless it is absolutely necessary

• Like 1

I don't like people, I don't like guests. I don't even allow my mom and dad into my flat.

I have actually put a ban on all people entering my flat at all, it normally ends up in massive drinking sessions and me having to apologize to my neighbors for the racket that was made.

The thought of having people I don't know come into my home makes me really uneasy, not only do I not like people but I don't trust them either, **** that I live on my own for a reason, I don't want to see or speak to people unless it is absolutely necessary

You need to get a dog.

when I was a lot lot younger our little working class gang had one posh mate, known affectionately as 'sweetie' because being rich and well spoken he was obviously ghey...

anyway he had a massive house out in the country and we asked a few times but his mum said no, adding that us lot would 'nick all the cutlery'

eventually, after about 18 months of prooving we were all good buddies and not just freeloaders his mum relented and we had a party at his place which was awesome because being in the middle of nowhere the music was cranked up

before we left, we nicked every last piece of cutlery we could find, posh old cow.

• Like 4

Â