Jez

On the Pitch, this season are we  

105 members have voted

1. 1. On the Pitch, this season are we

• Better than last season
    • Worse than last season
    • Just about the same as last season

We made Everton look like Man Utd.

In the first half yes we did. In the second half i'd say we we looked more like Man Utd. Big turnaround, and part of the fighting spirit factor which we seem to have this season which was conspicuous by its absence last season.

MON needs to answer some serious questions, disgraceful team selection today.

that i will agree with.

for the life of me i cannot fathom why Moore is not at the very least on the bench as an option.

Unless MON's fabled man management skills have come unstuck with this player.

what has Ridge done wrong to not even warrant a place on the bench. He started this season superbly.

Has JPA pissed off MON big time too?

I agree, I think it very strange that neither of them was on the bench. And that 2 out of form players in Gabby and Ashley were in the team.

Most peculiar. There must be a reason, but I dunno what it is.

JAP I can guess is on the way out, so maybe MO'N has decided the same with Ridge and Luke. I hope not, with Luke, as he seems to be a genuinely good prospect.

Bumped.

Anyone changed their minds yet? We made Everton look like Mna Utd.

MON needs to answer some serious questions, disgraceful team selection today.

No because.......

Anyway, the results have gone down the pan, but at least it's not been without a fight. Which is more than I can say for last season.

Better.

We faught back from looking very much dead and buried.

I'd say on the pitch we are marginally better, but too inconsistent. The Everton game was a microcosm of our season (albeit the 2nd half being the 1st half of the season and vice versa :)).

Anyone changed their minds yet?

the team once again did not just give up when going a goal down.

We also had a manager who made tactical changes at half time to improve the performance and get us a point.

thats better than last season.

Oh and I see we have been practising defending set pieces all the time in training. So much so that Lescott got a FREE far post header, after getting s flick on from an Everton player.

So not only did we not get the first ball, but failed to pick up the second ball, Bardsley at the far post failed to mark his man properly leading to their goal.

BASIC BASIC BASIC.

Had DOL been in charge people would have questioned why we don't defend set pieces, well he isn't and MON is, so why is thee still this problem?

Bardsley at the far post failed to mark his man properly leading to their goal.

BASIC BASIC BASIC.

Wasn't it Bouma who cocked up marking Lescott.

I think that MON is astute enough to know that we simply aren't good enough. How many of our players are good enough for a top six team? Barry, Laursen, Carew etc etc, we all have our own opinion on this one. MON will probably be wondering where the priority to strengthen needs to be. Again, we all have opinions on this but I think we need a Cottee, Cole, Shaw, Lineker type striker to work off Carew. We need a right back, centre back, a couple of midfielders, a forward etc etc etc. He ain't gonna get them ALL in in one summer. We have to be patient and build steadily.

Last night was typical Villa, we did the same against Arsenal. I wonder about some of MON's team selections too, for me, Gabby wouldn't play on the right wing, Berger would start this weekend against Blackburn. The main difference for me between this season and last is that our present manager doesn't try to dress it up, he tells it like it is. Yes we need a lot of new players, yes the likes of Maloney, Carew, Petrov need to settle in and get used to the pace of the game. I still trust MON, I never trusted O'Leary.

The main difference is that last year was about all we could hope for with the resources we had however the potential of the current crop is quite promising!

Had DOL been in charge people would have questioned why we don't defend set pieces,

They're questioning it now and have been for some time.

Why every time you post do you feel the need to bring up DOL? It's getting tiresome Ali and smacks of point scoring.

Had DOL been in charge people would have questioned why we don't defend set pieces, well he isn't and MON is, so why is thee still this problem?

Had DOL been in charge, we would have lost 3-0 and Barry wouldn't have been on the pitch.

Again - as in the games against Newcastle and Reading - we came back into the game well, pinned the opposition back, created chances and actually kept the ball for sustained periods. Ok - so we didn't convert enough of those chances, but we are playing some good, dominant football at times.

We're definitely playing better than we were last season and if Carew, Young and Maloney had all been in the side from the start of the season, I think we'd be further up the table than we are now.

Had DOL been in charge, we would have lost 3-0 and Barry wouldn't have been on the pitch.

What absolute rubbish.

exactly OF.

would have been more like 4 or 5 nil .......

Is that a fact?

last season we did seem to roll over and die at times and it was very rare that DOL would make tactical changes at half time to have a positive impact so i don't think it's crazy to suggest we would have lost by a few goals last night.

Is that a fact?

last season we did seem to roll over and die at times and it was very rare that DOL would make tactical changes at half time to have a positive impact so i don't think it's crazy to suggest we would have lost by a few goals last night.

On the contrary, DOL made earlier (I don't know if more timely) substitutions than MON. For different reasons both should, I think, have made MORE substitutions but MON has often seemed to wait an eternity.

Why is it, by the way, that last season, whatever he did, whatever he said was always wrong? And why is it that it's now starting all over again only this time with MON? What is the common denominator? The Irish O' ? The players? Or perhaps the fans who all seem to know exactly what the manager should be doing but can't seem to agree on what that should be?

A clue - it certainly ain't the O'.

Edit: Oh yeah LAST NIGHT MON made some early substitutions. And then there was the gamble with Hughes that didn't pay off. But I mean in general.

Â