Better or Worse?

Jez

On the Pitch, this season are we  

105 members have voted

1. 1. On the Pitch, this season are we

• Better than last season
    • Worse than last season
    • Just about the same as last season

I think we are playing much better footie now . We have some fight in us and dont drop our heads and give in when we go behind like we used to. We still cant find the net but seems to me we are at least looking for it a bit more now. We give teams more pressure than we have in ages and i think we can handle pressure much better than we have in a good few seasons. We just need to start scoring. It will come. I dont think other teams see us as the push overs . They know they are gonna get a scrap. If we were still under DOL we would have been in bottom 3 now with no bloody hope at all.

But at the end of last season the lads were at rock bottom. We were rarin to go when MON and then Randy came in. Without that boost surely it would have been a done thing now [ religation i mean]. I think we will stay up and we have good things to look forward to next season.

thats why stats shouldn't be the only source of an argument.

I've seen with my own eyes at games a better fighting spirit and determination to get back into the game once we've gone behind. And as others have said games like reading (a) newcastle (a) bolton (h) arsenal (h) won't appear on your stats because we didn't manage to bring it back but it doesn't mean that the commintment, fight and determination that was lacking last season wasn't shown during them

And you're right, but I'm sure if I thought long and hard enough, I could even think of games from last season in which we didn't bring it back but tried.

The fact that the only thing that people can cite as being 'better' is that, in their opinion, we have more fight, and put in more effort, shows how much the barrel is being scraped.

Effort and fight should be amongst the absolute bare minimum to expect.

Ron Saunders recently said:

A certain player scored for Villa and was having a nightmare and had had one or two nightmares. He scored one or two goals but had one or two not-so-good games. He came over to the touchline and said to me: 'What about that gaffer?' And I said: 'That's what I pay your money for - now get on and start playing'.

I'd love to see what he would say about people applauding the fact that we carry on for ninety minutes. And, if a goal down, we don't give up!! Sink any lower and we'll be thanking the players for bothering to get themselves down the ground on a Saturday afternoon.

Taking everything as a whole, considering all factors, and balancing everything out against each other, still leads me to think that, on the pitch, it's about the same.

And before anyone starts, I have yet to blame the manager.

Â