Referee & Linesmen watch

danceoftheshamen

After yet another disgraceful performance by an official against Fulham today when, had he called the big decisions correctly, the result would have probably been a 1-1 draw...Although we may well have ended up winning or indeed still losing it has to be said.

Now that doesn't mean to say we deserved anything today but then do we ever "deserve" wins or draws these days? I guess its how you personally look at it. I would rather we had more than the 20% to 30% possession we regularly endure but hey ho there you go we do tend to use those scraps of possession well...in patches and away from home at least.

But back to the point of this thread and Mr Dean today got the two key decisions of the game badly wrong.. Firstly he Gave Fulham a penalty against Bacuna when it was blatantly clear the Fulham player had simply jumped about two foot sideways into our player and then fell down like a sack of potatoes... or basically cheated. Dean embarrassingly pointed to the spot and the game was done. Then to compound the issue our Gabby gets clearly tripped in their area and of course Dean waves play on.

Frankly it is this sort of pathetic officiating which makes me question whether to go to games any more as after all why should i part with a fair chunk of hard earned cash as well as give up my even more valuable time to have my day repeatedly ruined by an incompetent official?!

The fact is that yes we were poor today but...the result and performance were basically voided by two game changing decisions. Had it stayed as 1-0 a bit longer the outcome could have been very different. As it was we were then 2-0 in the first half and that is a very different situation for the players to deal with and for me it meant we sat back more meaning we lost our attacking impetus..Even if we had pulled it back to 2-1 had we been awarded our penalty Fulham may well have gotten the jitters for the last 6 or 7 minutes... But one thing is for certain and that is the game was gifted to Fulham by Mike Dean

So i think it is only right and proper we discuss these things instead of consistently sweeping them under the carpet and i'll start by calling for the FA & FIFA to have key decisions exaclty like these challengeable by the managers. I think we should adopt the flag system used in American football so if our mangager wants the decision reviewed he has 2 handheld flag markers per half of football which he has to throw on the pitch and once he has used them he cannot review anymore. If this had been in place we might not have lost the game today..

For me its gotten to be a bit of a farce now because it happens so often. The technology is there to stop it so it's time to use it in my opinion. 

As for Mike Dean today?....SHOCKING!  2/10. If he genuinely thought he was right then that just backs up my call for technology to be used to help him and the other berated officials as they clearly are incapable of officiating a game correctly on their own.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 1

Even Meulensteen said the penalty was lucky, and that he would have been disapointed had they not been awarded that in the same situation. Mike Dean was atrocious today, not only the big calls, but all the little calls affecting the overall run of play were continually in Fulham's favour. 

Edited by LockStockVilla

As I said post match it was almost identical to the Ramires one against WBA a few weeks ago. That one was widely derided and fair enough it screwed WBA over in the last minute.

Unfortunately because it didn't necessarily decide the game - although it might have for all we know - there will be precious little said about it and Mike Dean will not be held accountable in any way.

I did note though that Graham Poll called both penalty decisions incorrect in his weekly column.

• Like 1

I'm not sure you can say the result would have been 1-1. We were soundly beaten, penalty decisions or not.

That doesn't take away from the fact that they were shocking decisions and we'd have certainly had a better chance if he'd called them right.

• Like 1

Who refereed our win at The Emirates and why were they demoted straight after? Was that because he didn't manage to get arsenal the 3 points ?

He wasn't demoted.

He was 4th official the week after, a duty he'd been scheduled to perform for weeks.

Who refereed our win at The Emirates and why were they demoted straight after? Was that because he didn't manage to get arsenal the 3 points ?

He wasn't demoted.

He was 4th official the week after, a duty he'd been scheduled to perform for weeks.

Correct. I'm pretty sure the rumour started on an Arsenal blog to begin with.

Are we agreed that Kevin Friend is still the worst referee in the league? His Chelsea performance is still enraging.

• Like 1

Kevin Friend has been terrible everytime I've seen him this season.

That Wes Brown "sending off". My mate told me about it before I'd seen it. My first question was "Was the ref Kevin Friend?"

It was.

I'm not saying there is spot betting going on with officials, but I cannot fathom how referees are so incompetent. I know some in the past loved to be 'Billy big balls' and make the headlines themselves by creating controversy but we are seeing too many not even enforcing the rules of the game with any consistency.

Kevin Friend also tried his best to screw us over against QPR last season, when we won 3-2.

• Like 1

I don't even think most are incompetent. it's a hard job and they're under an awful lot of scrutiny and pressure to get stuff right.

Friend is an exception though. He's just bad.

I also watched Coventry vs Bradford a couple of weeks ago (international break so they were on telly) with my best mate who is a cov fan, unfortunately. That's League 1, and the ref was terrible in that game too, for both sides. Who was it?

Kevin Friend.

• Like 1

I don't agree that we're always victims of the ref. Everyone who watches a game wanting one side to win ends up thinking the ref was against them.

But if you look at the big decisions that have affected our games over the last few years, I really do think that two thirds or more of them have gone against us.

Being a ref is a difficult job, obviously, but some of them seem desperate to leave their imprint on the game.

A good game of football has no penalties and no sending offs. Refs should only award the most obvious penalties and the most obvious sending-offs.

The Fulham game was completely ruined by that ref. Yes we played badly, but we will never know how we might have played if they hadn't been gifted a very soft penalty. Just to top it all off we had a far better shout denied. It makes my blood boil. If you're going to give a soft penalty, at least take the opportunity to even things out by giving the other team the benefit of the doubt the next time around. Better still, don't award any bloody soft penalties in the first place.

The Southampton game was very well reffed: They had a half shout, which wasn't given, and we had an arguably better shout that wasn't given. If the first soft penalty had been awarded it would have changed the game, and by the time the ref got the chance to even things out they might have been out of sight.

I don't care what the letter of the law says, it should be about delivering a fair and exciting game. If one team has obviously cheated in a way that would change the outcome of the game, that is when a penalty should be awarded, not when you're looking at the replay going "mmm, was that a foul?".

• Like 2

I don't think so either CF. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not, long term it'll even out.

I actually think that refs and their human mistakes are part of the thrill and excitement of a game. Few things are more fulfilling than yelling at the ref when he makes a bad call.

We do seem to get some pretty shitty penalty decisions though. I mean, the only penalty awarded against us that I can think of over the past year or so that's been deserved is Baker's tackle on Suarez (?) against Liverpool at home last seaosn.

I don't think so either CF. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not, long term it'll even out.

I actually think that refs and their human mistakes are part of the thrill and excitement of a game. Few things are more fulfilling than yelling at the ref when he makes a bad call.

Well, obviously my post was TL,DR for you Tuco ;)

• Like 1

Well, obviously my post was TL,DR for you Tuco ;)

Yes, I only agreed with the beginning :)

• Like 1

Let's be totally honest here, we were as shit as the ref yesterday.

That's the type of refereeing that usually bails out the rich 4 when they are having a stinker.

These things don't even themselves out over the course of a season either.

When was the last time that we benefited from some appalling officiating?

Â