Referee & Linesmen watch

danceoftheshamen

He panicked when he saw the loveable Jack wilshere was in a tiny bit of pain and carded delph, he wasnt gonna at first until he had a chat with jack.

Agreed i saw that too, and it happened again too when Ozil got in his ear and he ended up booking another of ours..Again it looked like he wasn't going to until Ozil piped up. Arsenal have to be the worst when it comes to moaning and wearing the victim T-Shirts in games.. Happened at theirs on opening day too but that time the Ref was strong enough to ignore them... The shock that caused said it all for me.

Just to add that yet again we saw the Top 4 sides benefit over the weekend from outrageous massive game changing decisions...

1. Newcastle's goal being chalked off against Man City

and

2.Liverpool's third at Stoke was both handball and a played for penalty.. 

Also worth a mention is the crazy antics of David Moyes when Man Utd didn't get the normal "every decision going" type of reffing the usually benefit from. Looks like he's getting a bit of Fergie coaching on "how to use Man U's media presence to scare the officials for future benefit."

I didn't see any team benefit from a major game changing decision against a top four club, unless anybody noticed anything else major which i missed?

I do wonder whether Wengers pre game comments about "how physical a side" we are affected the refs decision last night in giving El Ahmadi a yellow card after less than a minute?

Edited by danceoftheshamen

As for last nights game against Arsenal i think a couple of things went against us which really didn't help our cause.. The first was the instant yellow card for our player after about 20 seconds from KO..., This immediately restricted his game which is based on high energy and tackling.. didn't help and although it was most likely a yellow normally that would not be given so early... got us off on the wrong foot.

Also thought everything seemed to be going Arsenals way a bit in the 1st half especially and some of the throw ins awarded against us were shocking.

Otherwise though i thought he did generally ok

Gabby damaged Rosicky pretty badly too but it looked accidental to me.

Logically, then, you should be praising the ref for having the courage to do the right thing. A yellow card offence deserves a booking whenever it tales place in the match and we would have been very annoyed if the offence had been by an Arsenal player on one of ours but he hadn't been booked because it was "too early" in the game.

As for last nights game against Arsenal i think a couple of things went against us which really didn't help our cause.. The first was the instant yellow card for our player after about 20 seconds from KO..., This immediately restricted his game which is based on high energy and tackling.. didn't help and although it was most likely a yellow normally that would not be given so early... got us off on the wrong foot.

Also thought everything seemed to be going Arsenals way a bit in the 1st half especially and some of the throw ins awarded against us were shocking.

Flamini took out Gabby with his studs and nothing was given. He played the advantage but oddly chose not to card him. Luna clipped Sagna and also did not receive a booking. But the way Arsenal players are able to pressure refs into booking players is really unpleasant.

Logically, then, you should be praising the ref for having the courage to do the right thing. A yellow card offence deserves a booking whenever it tales place in the match and we would have been very annoyed if the offence had been by an Arsenal player on one of ours but he hadn't been booked because it was "too early" in the game.

The ref did get it right, the point is would he have "got it right" had it been an Arsenal player in similar circumstances. In most games this would not have been given so early on either.

• Like 1

well the ref did play on when rosicki got a facefull of forearm.

he was bleeding all over the place, ref ran by, looked at him and still let play go on.

with regards to the countless bad decisions nowadays.

the moment refs became professional they should have been made to explain decisions at press conference.

right or wrong this would improve the respect for them.

he was bleeding all over the place, ref ran by, looked at him and still let play go on.

the moment refs became professional they should have been made to explain decisions at press conference.

Agree. They're reasonably well paid and there should be a degree of accountability.

Actually, I thought he was pretty consistent.  He let a lot go, and mostly called the severe only.  i think the match would have been better if he had called it a bit tighter.  But he wasn't really inconsistent.

The only truly WRONG thing he did was stop play while Delph was dribbling for a knee injury in our box.  He knows better as evidenced by him not stopping for Sagna. For Rosicky he probably did not realize it was a head injury, probably should have stopped play for this.

And sorry, but the first card was very much deserved.  KEA jumped in and turned his back and left his elbow out.  That's not an attempt to play the ball, no matter how you look at it.

On the other hand he played through when Gabby got clipped from behind.  I thought it should be a caution because it was pretty tactically cynical.

Agree. They're reasonably well paid and there should be a degree of accountability.

with all the money kicking round in football i don't see why they aren't very well paid, think they average about £70k a year in salaries and fees

which i know some will say is very well paid but in the context of football its not, get them on more, get them based in st georges park, get them all sat round together working on fitness and watching / judging each others performances

if he's not accountable in front of all of us id still like to think that on monday morning mike jones had to stand up in front of all the others and explain himself, followed by them all giving constructive criticism, i wouldnt bet on it though

And sorry, but the first card was very much deserved.  KEA jumped in and turned his back and left his elbow out.  That's not an attempt to play the ball, no matter how you look at it.

I very much doubt he would have booked Wilshere for the same thing a minute into the game.

Liverpool 2-2 Villa Anfield

Again we had an incident in last nights game involving a player being caught by a flailing arm, this time it appeared Suarez was caught by Bacuna again though i thought , despite Suarez'z best attempt to make it look like a sending off offence, the ref got it spot on it was clearly accidental

Other major incident in the game was of course the Liverpool penalty which for me the ref couldn't really wait to give...

On MOTD the public voted 61% as no penalty (may have been 67% thinking about it) and that was after an attempt by the camera's to make it look like it was contact in close up frame by frame slow motion .... and even then it looked dubious in my opinion... there may have been the tiniest flick but it was unclear and certainly nowhere near enough to send the player hurtling through the air arms splayed out in front of him. So how the referee can have been sure enough in real time to award it is a complete mystery to me. Obviously Suarez was always going to do a Tom Daley as he's clearly a cheat of the highest order anyhow.  I doubt very much we would have been given that one at VP against one of the Sky 4 that's for sure. As for the MOTD panels argument?  i thought it was weak...

"If you come out like that so quickly then your asking for it to be a penalty" said Shearer..Really? what rule book is that from? i thought it was only a penalty if the player is fouled? Not because the keeper makes an attempt to close his angle quickly so the striker takes advantage of that, knocks the ball past him then dives as soon as he feels he's near enough!

"Once the keeper has committed and is lying on the floor why should the striker have to move round him" was his next attempt to convince us all it was a Penalty... Well in that case is he saying the goalkeeper is obstructing? ... and isn't obstruction an indirect free kick only?

Only other thing i noticed was I thought when Liverpool went two down (Should have been about 4 down by rights) he suddenly started to give them all the 50/50's where as up until then he wasn't that bad.... But we see this all the time.. 

Game is being reffed reasonably well 

Sky 4 side gets into a difficult position

Ref suddenly starts giving them all the decisions... especially the key ones.

No wonder it's so hard to beat these teams eh!

Anyway what a performance from the lads just a shame they didn't take another chance or two!

Most of the other games involving the sky 4 take place later so will be watching some of those later to see if there are any more helping hands dished out this week.

• Like 2

Aside from the pen, I thought he was alright.

I liked how when Liverpool had a throw in right by the Kop right on 94 minutes, he blew exactly as the ball went in the air cue mass groaning from the kop. Many refs would've let the move go on for an extra 30 seconds.

• Like 1

every ref in the country is giving that pen

from the angle and the way suarez dived there is no way the ref can see what he did, cant really blame him, the blame has to lie at the feet of suarez, but seeing as so many pundits and journos are quick to label it as clever and the modern game its not going to happen

thought the bacuna handball was a foul by skrtel, thought the bacuna elbow was suarez not challenging for the ball looking for a foul unbalancing him, the sturridge slap was embarrassing from bacuna, didnt buy in to suarez's antics but did buy in to sterling's, overall he was a decent ref

every ref in the country is giving that pen

I wouldn't be so sure about that. If that was say, Gabby at the Stretford End in Old Trafford, it wouldnt be given - and thats what's so frustrating.

Liverpool, the team with the highest number of penalties awarded to them in Premier League history, vs Aston Villa, the team with the most penalties awarded against them in Premier League history (by some way....). Hardly a surprise that one was gifted to them.

Â