The Quiz Thread

mjmooney

as it's bound to piss Bicks off , i'm gonna keep with the Beatles theme :)

what song did The Beatles perform on their first ever TV appearance  .....

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

US TV, maybe. Not UK, surely.

typical American thinking that anything pre the US doesn't count :P

first Ever TV  , clue it was in the UK  ..... quite difficult so clue 2 is it wasn't a Beatles song that they sang

as it's bound to piss Bicks off , i'm gonna keep with the Beatles theme :)

what song did The Beatles perform on their first ever TV appearance  .....

I Wanna Hold Your Hand

US TV, maybe. Not UK, surely.

typical American thinking that anything pre the US doesn't count :P

first Ever TV  , clue it was in the UK  ..... quite difficult so clue 2 is it wasn't a Beatles song that they sang

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYvTeS8l35A

• Like 1

Nice guess on Peter Brown, Mr. Mooney. But can you name the other person in the tune?

Christ :)

Obligatory not a real person post :)

Even as an atheist I believe this individual did exist at a point in history, it's just he was a 4ft nutter rather than a magical fairy sent down from the sky people. Like a David Koresh for simpler times.

Nice guess on Peter Brown, Mr. Mooney. But can you name the other person in the tune?

Even as an atheist I believe this individual did exist at a point in history, it's just he was a 4ft nutter rather than a magical fairy sent down from the sky people. Like a David Koresh for simpler times.

I'll wager his real name wasn't Christ ;)

I'll wager his real name wasn't Christ ;)

Surely  everyone knows that was his middle name .. his surname was Superstar

Rev John Graham, aka crossword setter Araucaria, dies aged 92

Crossword compiler had baffled and delighted fans with his fiendish clues for more than half a century

The-Rev-John-Graham-aka-A-009.jpg

Araucaria, aka, the Rev John Graham, who has died at the age of 92. Photograph: David Sillitoe for the Guardian

The Rev John Graham, who compiled crosswords for the Guardian for more than 50 years and was better known to readers by his pseudonym Araucaria, has died aged 92.

Graham revealed in a puzzle in January this year that he was dying of cancer, in a cryptic crossword that included a set of special instructions: "Araucaria," it said, "has 18 down of the 19, which is being treated with 13 15".

Those who solved the puzzle found the answer to 18 was cancer, to 19 oesophagus, and to 13 15 palliative care. The solutions to some of the other clues were: Macmillan, nurse, stent, endoscopy, and sunset.

Graham, who compiled his first crossword for the Guardian in 1958 and adopted his pseudonym from the Latin for monkey puzzle tree, died in the early hours of Tuesday morning.

Asked why he had decided to reveal details of his illness in a crossword, Graham said: "It seemed the natural thing to do, somehow."

Graham, who lived in Somersham, Cambridgeshire, donated his oesophagus to cancer research.

Graham, who was taken on by the Guardian (then the Manchester Guardian) after winning the Observer's crossword-setting competition two years running, was made an MBE for services to the newspaper industry.

As well as writing crosswords for the Guardian, he contributed puzzles to other publications including the Financial Times, under the pseudonym Cinephile (an anagram of Chile pine, another name for the monkey puzzle tree), the Church Times and 1 Across, the monthly subscription magazine that he founded.

One of the most admired and best-known crossword setters in the English language, Graham was known for his idiosyncratic style and extended anagrams.

Credited with evolving the artform of the cryptic crossword, producing themed puzzles on topics as varied as the UK shipping forecast and the 250th anniversary of the death of Bach.

He also invented the "alphabetical jigsaw puzzle".

Oxford-born Graham read classics at King's College Cambridge before joining the RAF in 1942. He returned to King's after the war to read theology and was ordained in the Church of England in 1948.

More details soon...

:(

Best crossword setter EVER, IMHO.

Edited by mjmooney

I managed to get the copy of questions from this week's pub quiz. So, for those who want, I reproduce it below. The real one has a picture round too (we got 8 out of 8 in that B) ).

I'll only give you the non-Irish specific current affairs questions.

Round 1 - Current affairs

1. What type of animal escaped from a zoo in Essex this week and was subsequently shot?

2. Why has Irish woman Josephine Herival been in the news this past week?

3. Italian siblings are to go on trial for defrauding which celebrity chef and her husband?

4. In what European capital did a roof collapse on a shopping centre last week, killing more than 50 people?

Round 2 - General Knowledge

1. 'Caballo' is Spanish for which animal?

2. 'Odette' is a character in which ballet?

3. Saxony is a region of which European country?

4. Which U.S. president was given the nickname 'The Great Emancipator'?

5. Which planet lies between Jupiter & Uranus?

6. What is the capital of Malaysia?

7. Oberon, Puck & Lysander are characters in which Shakespeare play?

8. What is the more common name for the scapula?

Round 3 - Sport & food (yeah, I don't know why either)

1. Which country will host the 2014 Winter Olympic Games?

2. What GAA county team are known as the saffrons?

3. How many players are there in an ice hockey team?

4. The Curtis Cup is a challenge trophy contested by women in which sport?

5. The traditional Austrian Wiener Schnitzel is made with which meat?

6. What are the 2 main ingredients of ganache?

7. Aborio rice comes from which country?

8. Which herb added to soups and stews is usually removed prior to serving?

Round 4 - Music

1. What are the five christian names of the members of One Direction?

2. 'Take Me To Church' is a hit song for whom?

3. What is the name of U2's latest single?

4. Name the song and the band/artist associated with the following lyrics.

Tonight the music seems so loud, I wish that we could lose this crowd.

5. Brendan & Declan Murphy from Newry are members of which band?

6. 'Carry on up the charts' was a hit compilation album for which band?

7. 'Somewhere Only We Know' featuring in a British TV advert and sung by Lily Allen was originally recorded by whom?

8. Who features with Eminem on his current chart single 'The Monster' ?

Round 5 - TV & Film

1. In 'The Simpsons', what is the name of Springfield's TV news presenter?

2. Kevin Spacey won an oscar in 2000 for his role in which movie?

3. Samir Rachid was once married to which character in Coronation Street?

4. Who was the puppet side-kick of Philip Schofield when he was a children's TV presenter?

5. How many letters are there in the 'Countdown Conundrum' ?

6. In what TV quiz were you asked 'Question or nominate' ?

That's a really shit pub quiz! :)

The scores tend to be quite high across the board.  It's not supposed to be a pro quiz or anything.  It could come down to knowing one awkward question in the end.  We talked ourselves out of 3 correct answers which would have won us the quiz.  I knew the Curtis Cup answer but we went with something else, we could have guessed the aborio rice one but over-thought it and someone else knew the lyrics answer.  Ho hum.

I'm crap at music!

Round 1
1. Wolf

2. Dunno

3. Nigella Lawson

4. Riga

Round 2
1. Horse

2. Nutcracker (guess)

3. Germany (guess)

4. Lincoln (guess, he freed the slaves right?)

5. Saturn

6. Kuala Lumpur

7. A Midsummer Night's dream

8. Kneecap

Round 3
1. Russia

2. Antrim

3. 5 (guess)

4. Golf

5. Pork (guess)

6. Cream and chocolate

7. France (guess)

8. Don't know

Round 4

1. Harry, Zaine, Liam, Niall, Louis (fml)

2. Don't know

3. Dunno

4. Dunno

5. Dunno

6. Dunno

7. Keane

8. Rhianna

Round 5

1. Kent Brockman

2. American Beauty

3. Deardrie Barlow

4. Gordon the GOpher

5. 9

6. 15 to 1

The scores tend to be quite high across the board.  It's not supposed to be a pro quiz or anything.  It could come down to knowing one awkward question in the end.  We talked ourselves out of 3 correct answers which would have won us the quiz.  I knew the Curtis Cup answer but we went with something else, we could have guessed the aborio rice one but over-thought it and someone else knew the lyrics answer.  Ho hum.

I think there are only about...five questions on that quiz whose answer I know :)

I think there are only about...five questions on that quiz whose answer I know :)

Ah, so by shit pub quiz you meant you are shit at it :P
  • Like 1

Â