Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

OK Hoolahan may be better than we have but that's because Lambert deemed it more important to sign others before a AM? Why didn't he sign Holt in the summer for say £2m and not sign Kozak and spend £5m on an attacking midfielder??

Most people could see that we lacked a creative player in the side and yet he chose to ignore this?.

Umm, because he rightly thought kozak was a better investment?

Oh, and, just because you can theorize a quality AM for 5 million doesn't mean there was one that fit the bill (good AM) in that price range with good sell on potential, who was available, and willing to come at all, and willing to accept the salary we thought was fair. I think it's more complicated than dreaming it up and assuming its easy and possible.

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 2

Heard a bit of something about Jonathan Schmid. I had to Google him. Anyone, by any small chance, somehow seen Freiberg play this season!?

Edit: I must add that I am certainly not ITK and neither do I like all the ITK nonsense.

Was great last season, and imo would be our best midfielder by a reasonable distance. Couldn't see him costing an arm and a leg either. How reliable do you reckon your info is?

Which is exactly my point. After signing 16 players and spending 40 plus million we are no better off than under previous managers.

Sigh.  I've been over all of this before but...

...we've reduced our outgoings significantly which has quite obviously held the club back (weren't we spending something crazy like 90% of our revenue on wages alone?).  A lot of this has revolved around getting rid of players that were initially signed up on silly contracts (entirely the club/Lerner's fault).  As these have been shipped out, we've needed to replace them with cheaper options on nowhere near as high wages to get the basis of a squad (which is what you bemoaned) in place.  Due to the age of most of these players, most would have some sort of resale value further down the line if we needed to sell.  This is essentially an added bonus as we're currently losing older players for nothing.

Once this squad is in place, as it pretty much is now, we should be looking to add quality players into it.  All of this can't be done within 18 months and, naturally, replacing an entire team or even a managerial set up (Man Utd, Tottenham, Watford, Wigan) will likely mean a decline in performances and quality until this comes to fruition.

If you think you're getting a quality squad and first team by spending £40m on 16 players you're on a drug that I'd love to get hold of.

Welcome to the forum Bobzy - nice to see a little sense posted for a change.

The warped argument that is most rolled out is "Lambert has spent £40m but not improved the squad"

Now if you were to spend £40m adding to an established squad you would expect the outcome to be a pretty competitive unit however when you are completely replacing a squad £40m is small change.

Lambert has spent £40m on 16 players and at the same time we have shipped out 18 players that cost us £80m - in effect a net spend of minus £40m

All that being said, given the financial restrictions, I still think that we have done some good business

Goalkeepers - We have replaced Given and Marshall with Guzan and Steer at zero cost and on probably half the wages

Defence - Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna for 11m or Hutton, Collins, Dunne, Warnock for 20m - no contest for me and at less than half the wages

Midfield - Makoun, Ireland, Bannon, Holman at 14m or Westwood, Bacuna, KEA, Sylla at half that and half the wages - no contest

Forwards - Benteke 7m or Bent 24m? Heskey or Kozak?

Even though not setting the world on fire, Bennett for Stevens and Helenius for Fonz are still improvements. Bowery might not make it but cost peanuts. Only Tonev has been a failure so far.

In the next few windows, I'm sure we will work to up the quality of the first XI, buying two or three quality players each season and integrating academy prospects as they become ready, whilst moving on those that don't make it

Even if we only bring in say Hoolahan and Naughton in this window, I still see it as a step in the right direction

Sadly, given the situation we find ourselves in there are no quick fixes - Lambert has my 100% support to sort this out.

VillaCas - That is one of the best posts I have ever read on VT.

• Like 1

OK Hoolahan may be better than we have but that's because Lambert deemed it more important to sign others before a AM? Why didn't he sign Holt in the summer for say £2m and not sign Kozak and spend £5m on an attacking midfielder??

Most people could see that we lacked a creative player in the side and yet he chose to ignore this?.

Umm, because he rightly thought kozak was a better investment?

Oh, and, just because you can theorize a quality AM for 5 million doesn't mean there was one that fit the bill (good AM) in that price range with good sell on potential, who was available, and willing to come at all, and willing to accept the salary we thought was fair. I think it's more complicated than dreaming it up and assuming its easy and possible.

"Damn, I wish that dozy Lambert could see what I could see. I conveniently forget that Lambert has come out numerous times and said that he wants a creative player in the number 10 role and continue ranting about something I obviously know more about"

• Like 1

So Freiburg representives rumored to be at BH.

Player in question is vladimir darida. Anyone know anything about him?

Only just joined in the Summer so I doubt it. He is an attacking midfielder and I think he is rated highly in Czech Republic so maybe some of our Czech posters could give more of an insight.

Other players from Freiburg that I would like:

Baumann (GK)

Ginter (CB)

Schmid (Winger)

Edited by samjp26

Hope you are kind of wrong and it is Mathias Ginter. Lets wait for Czechlad on Darida.

Hope you are kind of wrong and it is Mathias Ginter. Lets wait for Czechlad on Darida.

Ginter, Vlaar and Okore in a 5-3-2.  :wub:

• Like 1

"Damn, I wish that dozy Lambert could see what I could see. I conveniently forget that Lambert has come out numerous times and said that he wants a creative player in the number 10 role and continue ranting about something I obviously know more about"

That's aright then if he just talks about it!!! And when he looks at doing something the best he comes up with is Wes 'Bloody' Hoolahan! Great!

That's aright then if he just talks about it!!! And when he looks at doing something the best he comes up with is Wes 'Bloody' Hoolahan! Great!

*beep beep*

PA: Mr Lambert, those pesky fans on VillaTalk are complaining that we haven't bought a number 10 yet.

PL: Damn. They're going to rumble me in my endless quest to never buy one. I better just tell the press that I am looking for one.

PA: Great idea Paul. That should keep them off my back.

Total bollocks.

Only just joined in the Summer so I doubt it. He is an attacking midfielder and I think he is rated highly in Czech Republic so maybe some of our Czech posters could give more of an insight.

Baumann (GK)

Ginter (CB)

Schmid (Winger)

Only managed to make 2 starts for them since joining Freiburg so could be a possibility. 

Yet he's opted for target men cover with his budget.

I must have missed something there Stef, but wasn't it `The Hitz` who `Came out` numerous times recently? ;)

Yet he's opted for target men cover with his budget.

He bought one in the summer. He wouldn't be getting Holt if Kozak didn't get injured.

• Like 1

Not sure about the veracity of this rumour, but I'm not a fan of Darida.

Baumann (GK)

Ginter (CB)

Schmid (Winger)

Agreed, Sorg might be more realistic than Ginter though!

Â