Transfer Speculation (Winter 2014)

Richard

Yesterday, in the starting line-up only 5 were players he purchased. Here lies the problem, he had to rebuild a squad on limited resources. We can all spend day and night debating who he should have purchased. But we have bought through the likes of say Clark, Baker, Herd, Weimann, Gabby through our academies, are they really that good? Out of the squad that remained who should we have kept if we're being honest the squad was piss poor. We can say he's spent 43 Million, but 43 million on 14 players equates to about 3million per man which shows the market he is shopping at. He has his faults though, the shape and balance of our team is not right, and to have a lot of your kep performers not firing will cost you as it did yesterday. We have a tough period coming now, and this will be the make or break of Lambert.

To be fair if it weren't for injuries I expect there would've been 7/8.

Buying less players for more would mean we'd have even more problems if injuries were to happen, though.

Injuries can happen at any time though. Better having the quality on the pitch when they are fit than watching the likes of Bacuna, KEA or say a Bowery play 40 games a season.....and I'm not just blaming them....just names I plucked out of the list of non-entities in our squad. It's a lack of quality that holds us back not a lack of desire....apart from yesterday of course.

I don't think it's fair to judge Bacuna yet.

Agreed, not until he has had a run in his 'regular position'. I think it is great that he managed to play really well for a few games at right back and in my opinion when he hasn't performed it is probably down to the amount of work he has had to do on the flank.

Still think he deserves a chance in the middle of the park or at least in a more advanced position on the wing, it would be unfair to judge him properly until then since they are the roles he operated at in the past at Groningen.

Edited by samjp26

Personally of Lambert's signings i'd keep Vlaar and Benteke and ship the rest out as they aren't good enough and start again although I know that isn't going to happen.

I'm still not sure after nearly two years in charge how Lambert wants to play but we need another CB with experience. I'd go for Lescott on loan.

A strong physical combative DM an AM and someone who can put decent crosses into the box if we're going to use Kozak and Benteke as a 'Plan B.'

You'd sell Luna, Lowton, Westwood, Sylla, KEA, Bacuna, Tonev, Helenius, Kozak, Guzan, Okore, Steer, Bowery and Bennett?

All of them? I really don't understand what that would achieve, we'd be back to square one trying to build an entire squad again.

I also don't understand what Lescott on loan for 6 months would do, our defence has been solid so far this season.

Can't see us buying more than one player in January anyway to be fair, if you could get one player, what position would they play?

Jesus when you actually look at that list no wonder we've been in a relegation battle and continually playing poor football this season.

We haven't been/aren't in a relegation battle this season though. I'll leave it there, you clearly don't want to have an actual discussion, have fun arguing with Mantis.

No mate it's not that I don't want to have a discussion with you its just that looking at that list I was shocked at how poor some of Lambert's signings have been and it isn't fun debating with the stated poster.

I'd bring Lescott in for three reasons.

Okore is out for the season and although Vlaar might be back for the Man U game he is unfortunately still susceptible to injury.

It would give Clark a rest and it would mean that we wouldn't have to use Baker again unless in exceptional circumstances.

Lastly i'd love to see a Lescott Vlaar partnership (if Vlaar stays fit) even if it was only until the end of the season as it would strengthen the spine of the team which leads me to your last question.

If we were only going to purchase one player (non loanee) it would depend on what Lambert sees as the best way forward. If he's thinking of playing two up front then we need a decent wide player who can put quality crosses in. If however Lambert wants to play with just one target man up front then we will need that elusive AM to break teams down through the middle.

Hopefully we'll sign two which would give us a better 'Plan B?'  

Before signing Darren Bent from Sunderland for £24m in 2011, Aston Villa made an enquiry for Newcastle United’s Andy Carroll.

Scary if true

We need 3 more squad players; A playmaker, Winger, Defensive Mid.

Once we have these, and have shifted the following; Given, Hutton, Ireland... Then maybe we can add a big signing in the £8million region!

Before signing Darren Bent from Sunderland for £24m in 2011, Aston Villa made an enquiry for Newcastle United’s Andy Carroll.

Scary if true

He would've been a better transfer.

• Like 1

We need 3 more squad players; A playmaker, Winger, Defensive Mid.

Once we have these, and have shifted the following; Given, Hutton, Ireland... Then maybe we can add a big signing in the £8million region!

And N'Zogbia too sadly. 

No he wouldn't because he probably wouldn't have helped dragged us to safety like Bent did.

I tend to think Villa would've stayed up that year regardless and that Bent has always been a far overrated player. 

• Like 1

That's your opinion and fair play to you. My opinion is that he is not Premiership quality.

What was your opinion on Clark last year? Or vlaar? Conclusively saying someone isn't good enough after 12 games, especially someone as young as bacuna, is stupid. Unless they're totally unbelievably awful, which bacuna hasn't been.

Scary if true

Wouldn't read too much into that pathetic article, they refer to Michael Bradley as "Michael Who?"

• Like 3

Scary if true

Yes I think so too.

Being so much younger he'd have had a proper resale value. Peherhaps we could have gotten goals out of him then flogged him to Liverpool for £35m ;)

Â