Boateng's "hand ball"

Spoony

Handball?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Handball?

• yes
    • no

There has been alot said about this and typically the ref is the one getting the flack for everything. I've seen it about 5 times now and every time my opinion doesn't change. It is a handball and it is a penalty. I am a referee and if the same thing happened in one of my games i would not hesitate. It was not "ball to hand" because he moved his hands upwards to intentionally handel the ball. It doesn't matter if he was protecting his face, you just can't do that. The referee simply applied the letter of the law and people may argue that he should have used his 'common sence' but he would get a bollocking himself for not giving that.

Thoughts? Boateng things decisions always go against him.....*cough* SOLANO *cough*

Handball. Southgate was very diplomatic about it and said that having seen it again he can see why it's been given. Unfortunately football doesn't afford its players the opportunity to protect their faces, it was unfortunate for Boateng but that's football.

I would like to see Ronaldo called up on his penalty taking technique though. The way he checks his run-up is at best unsportsmanlike.

I said no to this.. I know the ball hit his hand but i don't think it was a) deliberate B) denied a goalscoring op (as he it hadn't hit his hand - it would of hit his face) and c) I just thought it was an involentary action - but saying that, I can understand why the

ref. gave it.

Can't blame the ref at all - it was a similar one to Boros' goal against us earlier in season - you could see both sides to why it should/shouldn't have been allowed.

Anyway,

The interesting thing was did anyone hear GTs' comment on the radio about "unlucky George" - after beating 3-1 last game of the season, all the players were in the dressing room congratualting each other, when Boateng stood up in front of everyone and said "boss, I am giving you this" - he then shoved a "tranfer request" in his hand...

GT has never forgiven him from the sound of it !!!

And, even though it didn't work out 2nd time - I trust GTs' word on everything !!!

(remember his thoughts on Alpay, Angel, Crouch, Ginola and Lampard) - could have been a whole different story if Ellis had listened to him !!!

I said no to this.. I know the ball hit his hand but i don't think it was a) deliberate B) denied a goalscoring op (as he it hadn't hit his hand - it would of hit his face) and c) I just thought it was an involentary action - but saying that, I can understand why the ref. gave it.

Not one of those reasons is valid for denying the penalty even if they are all true

You haven't included the rest of my post !!!

what I said was it was one of them that you can see both sides, if it was Villa Park and we were attacking - would you shout hand ball...

If we were defending and it was given - would you go berzerk-

Probbaly yes to both I reckon....

In my opinion - he gave it to make up for the Rooney one that was clear.

But fairplay to Southgate -who took it with far more dignity than Unlucky George, who called the ref a cheat basically !!!

it hit his hand and he gained advantage, intent or ball to hand is an irrelevance

Penalty

I believe intent and ball to hand are actually the two most relevant factors for refs to consider according to the rules, so not too sure i agree with that Bicks.

Having said that, it was a penalty in my book, arms raised in an unnatural position and contact with the ball.

Handball. Southgate was very diplomatic about it and said that having seen it again he can see why it's been given. Unfortunately football doesn't afford its players the opportunity to protect their faces, it was unfortunate for Boateng but that's football.

I would like to see Ronaldo called up on his penalty taking technique though. The way he checks his run-up is at best unsportsmanlike.

Surely it is diving and a yellow card ;)

Â