Boateng's "hand ball"

Spoony

Handball?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Handball?

• yes
    • no

I thought yes handball, but I don't think it would have been given the other way.

Absolutely right. That's a refereeing issue which I best not get started on.

and it wasn't.. clear handball in the box, in the second half by Manu and nothing given

it hit his hand and he gained advantage, intent or ball to hand is an irrelevance

Penalty

I believe intent and ball to hand are actually the two most relevant factors for refs to consider according to the rules, so not too sure i agree with that Bicks.

Having said that, it was a penalty in my book, arms raised in an unnatural position and contact with the ball.

Having just read the Laws of the game, the buggers have changed the Law, Its now only a pen if its "deliberate handball" so Grant - you are correct and I'm wrong

Bloody FIFA messing with the game again

I didn't think it was a penalty personally - I thought it had to be deliberate for that, or denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

Oh and I'd have made Ronaldo take the penalty again too.

Plus if that had been at the Stretford End and it was a Man U player who got his hands in the way of the ball, what's the chances of the ref giving a penalty? Nil, I'd say.

it hit his hand and he gained advantage, intent or ball to hand is an irrelevance

Penalty

I believe intent and ball to hand are actually the two most relevant factors for refs to consider according to the rules, so not too sure i agree with that Bicks.

Having said that, it was a penalty in my book, arms raised in an unnatural position and contact with the ball.

Having just read the Laws of the game, the buggers have changed the Law, Its now only a pen if its "deliberate handball" so Grant - you are correct and I'm wrong

Bloody FIFA messing with the game again

That was always the law, at least, in the park it was when we used jumpers for goalposts..."handball!" "ball to hand!"

That was always the law, at least, in the park it was when we used jumpers for goalposts..."handball!" "ball to hand!"

It is still tradition today my friend ;)

And you would have to say it is deliberate because he moved his hands up with the intention of hitting the ball away from his face. If you apply the law, it's a penalty. I think Rob Styles is one of the better refs at the moment. He has shown a lot more consistently than some others and i personally think that if it happened the other way, that too would have been a penalty. What has he got to gain from being biased?

Anyway going back to the incident in question, Boatengs head is known to be made of steel (wasn't it Gazza that broke his arm trying to elbow him in the face) so he doesnt need to protect his face from a poorly delivered corner, he could just have headed the ball it wasnt whacked straight at him, it wasnt fast, he had enough time he just lost the plot

Handball & Penalty

Definite penalty. Absolutely definitely. He hit it woth BOTH hands. Why raise your hands into the air inside the box like that. As much as I don't like ManUre, fact is Boateng was stupid and they deserved the peno.

It's not ball-to-hand if your hands are OVER YOUR HEAD!!! Your hands have NO BUSINESS up there in the box.

Exactly, other wise players could stand on the goal line with their arms out stretched and as long as they don't move towards the ball it would be ok.

Â