What do you drive?

StefanAVFC

Just now, chrisp65 said:

I’d thought the recent mood music was that these cars were doing better and keeping full capacity longer than had been pessimistically anticipated?

Yep, I don’t think anyone said they were giving up.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/advice-electric-cars/how-long-do-batteries-last-electric-cars

How long do batteries last in electric cars?
Should you be worried about the battery life of an electric car? Not if you pay close attention to our guide

For many car owners, the electric car represents an entirely new way of driving and brings with it many queries and worries. One of the largest concerns is how long the battery life is on an electric car.

Generally, electric car batteries last for as long as the rest of the car. But like with your phone or laptop battery, they degrade over time. Ultimately the cells should still be providing at least 70 percent of their capacity even after 200,000 miles, which is the sort of mileage that few cars ever reach, whether they’re ICE or EV. 

You may well have seen stories suggesting the opposite, leaving the owner either facing a hefty bill for a replacement or contemplating cutting their losses on a car that’s otherwise worthless because it literally doesn’t work.

And it’s not hard to see where these rumours and anecdotes come from, because our extensive experience of mobile phones, tablets and laptop computers has shown many that, even over a relatively short period of time, the batteries powering them can quickly lose efficiency, resulting in the need for more frequent charging. In extreme cases the degradation is so severe the device won’t even fire-up unless it’s permanently on charge, which is obviously no use for an EV.

So, how bad is the problem really? Well the good news is that the more electric cars that are out there and the longer they are run for, the more evidence is produced to show that the power pack will often last the lifetime of the car.

The truth is that when treated correctly most modern lithium-ion units are likely to last the lifetime of the car. Even so, most firms cover the battery with a separate, extended warranty.

Most car warranties are around three years and 60,000 miles, but this is increased for the battery element in EVs. For instance, Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Nissan and Renault cover the cells for 8 years and 100,000 miles, while Hyundai ups the mileage limit to 125,000.

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I’d thought the recent mood music was that these cars were doing better and keeping full capacity longer than had been pessimistically anticipated?

He could have just been making random shit up but The guy in the BMW showroom said that Tesla pretty much let you drain the battery right down  and that’s what can cause issues with battery lifespan…  BMW hold back 20% of the capacity so you can’t drain it and shorten the lifespan

• Like 1

I’m really tempted to get 3 or 4 year old Jaguar iPace. These were £80k new and can be had for about £20k now. Everyone I know who has had them have raved about them.

My main concern is that if something goes wrong with the battery it might basically make it scrap metal, or land me a mega repair bill. Ideally I’d get it from a main dealer with a robust warranty for 1-2 years.

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

Driving an EV for 6 years, no issues.

Yes, it's all just nonsense pumped out by the oil and gas lobby like all the other nonsense stories I listed earlier. But it all does seep into public conscious and man in the pub conversations. 

But the Oil and Gas industry are just like mad men shouting at the moon now. A bit like Heat Pumps the more and more people own them, the more of their mates hear first hand the true life experiences and these nonsense stories get completely debunked by real life. 

If you're after a second hand vehicle and the EV prices are tanking I'd fill my boots.  You'll have no issues with the battery and you'll get a car for absolutely peanuts that will cost you hardly anything to run. Get yourself down the forecourt and get one of these cars they can't give away. What a bargain. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’m really tempted to get 3 or 4 year old Jaguar iPace. These were £80k new and can be had for about £20k now. Everyone I know who has had them have raved about them.

My main concern is that if something goes wrong with the battery it might basically make it scrap metal, or land me a mega repair bill. Ideally I’d get it from a main dealer with a robust warranty for 1-2 years.

As per above you'll get an 8 year 100,000 mile guarantee. How long are you likely to own it for? 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Genie said:

As EVs go it's apparently not great. Software is shite. But maybe they have fixed it with updates.

Edited by Mr_Dogg

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

As per above you'll get an 8 year 100,000 mile guarantee. How long are you likely to own it for? 

I didn’t realise the covered the battery for that long, so that’s good news

4 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

As EVs go it's apparently not great. Software is shite. But maybe they have fixed it with updates.

Which software? I’ve known lots of people have them and all say they’re great. I’ve done a few trips in iPaces and have been very impressed.

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

Which software? I’ve known lots of people have them and all say they’re great. I’ve done a few trips in iPaces and have been very impressed.

The overall software, the interface etc.

But if you like them and you've had good feedback that's more than me. I have only watched reviews.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tinker said:

There is no evidence, thats the issue, clue is ..... "The lack of battery life history" 

There are now over 1m EV's on UK roads,over 40m globally.  There were 5.1m cars globally in 2018. Those cars are now 6 years old. 

I think there is enough data to tell by now if EV batteries are dead after 6 years. It's just that the fact they're not isn't a great news story. Especially if the Oil and Gas lobby are paying you to write that they're all dying. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

The overall software, the interface etc.

But if you like them and you've had good feedback that's more than me. I have only watched reviews.

Yeah, there are general complaints about all JLR cars infotainment systems being a bit clunky and not that intuitive. I was thinking specifically about the EV side of things.

I’ll stick with the Kuga for the rest of this year and then maybe bite the bullet 

Fwiw, that Jaguar warranty needs the battery to have dropped below 70% before they'll do anything about it, so you'll want to ensure the range is about 50% more than you regularly need to drive without charging breaks

I've only got that Lexus for 2 years but it comes with a 10 year warranty on the battery.

I genuinely can't believe what I'm paying for it. The lease is just over £300 a month including maintenance and the car has a list price of £68,000.

Driven it to Kidderminster and back today and it was an absolute joy. Incredible car. Not as much fun as the Puma ST next to it on the drive, but it's the driving equivalent of flying business class.

We stopped for a recharge on the way back, but we needed some dinner anyway so it was no hassle at all.

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

The EV with the worst software problems seems to have been Volkswagen.

There is an interesting interview with the Ford CEO who is bringing a lot of manufacturing back in house. He feels. That EVs, indeed modern cars generally are so much more interconnected and relying on electronics that it's no longer feasible to follow the traditional manufacturing route of ordering masses of different parts from masses of manufacturers and pulling it all together. Everything needs to speak to everything else and a too dispirate supply chain makes this actually impossible. He thinks those manufacturers sticking to the old ways will ultimately fail as their products just won't work well enough. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

I've only got that Lexus for 2 years but it comes with a 10 year warranty on the battery.

I genuinely can't believe what I'm paying for it. The lease is just over £300 a month including maintenance and the car has a list price of £68,000.

That's absolutely stonking value, is it a used one?

13 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Driven it to Kidderminster and back today and it was an absolute joy. Incredible car. Not as much fun as the Puma ST next to it on the drive, but it's the driving equivalent of flying business class.

We stopped for a recharge on the way back, but we needed some dinner anyway so it was no hassle at all.

Who did you use? That's a hell of a lot less than Mrs Sidcow is paying for her A6 with Select Car Leasing. 

She's probably going to go EV next time, but that's another 2 years so I guess deals will have changed a lot by then. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

That's a properly premium EV. Won't see too many of them around.

• Like 1

Â