Xbox One or PS4 - Final Poll

villarule123

56 members have voted

1. 1. Xbox One or PS4

• Xbox One
    • PS4
    • Undecided
    • Both on release day

I agree with the sentiment, but they (after the fact) asked users and one in five use it vertically. It just seems stupid not to actually poll for user input before making design decisions, especially when you have an invested user base.

Curious. I can't recall any manufacturer ever officially stating that their console should be standing/lying one way or the other - am I mistaken? Other than the obvious past gen consoles that just sat flat.

Is there any suggestion (from official sources or otherwise) that standing your 360 vertically rather than lying it horizontally, for example, is 'bad' for the console, or might effect it's lifespan? For the vast majority of the time I've had my PS3 and 360, they've both stood vertically.

I know when the 360 was vertical, they had problems with CD scratches since the orientation would cause slight disturbances due to gravity compared to a horizontal orientation. This was due to some shoddy design with the CD tray.

I don't know what it is now, but that was a legitimate reason not to do so on the old one

Edited by Kwan

I look forward to the first round of warranty claims being shot down because their internal sensor proves that the console was stood vertically at some point.

and then Microsoft will "change their minds" and some people will yet again believe that they are the good guys after all.

Is that really that bad? Not being able to put the console vertical? I don't think i've ever seen anyone use their console vertically.

I read that you cant turn off the light bar on the PS4 controller. Does anyone think that would effect them?

My 360 and PS3 are both vertical.

Is that really that bad? Not being able to put the console vertical? I don't think i've ever seen anyone use their console vertically.

I read that you cant turn off the light bar on the PS4 controller. Does anyone think that would effect them?

Ah fair enough! :) Would it bother you if you had to put it horizontal? 

Game capture is pretty slick. We saw a marble maze game get instant capture of the last 30 seconds of buffered frames from a simple voice command. Xbox One's Upload Studio had a 720p 30fps clip waiting immediately after. Users can quickly edit, save, or share this clip with further commands. Another voice command can have you back in the game just as quickly. Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.

So on the Xbone you cant share videos to social sites yet. This console is clearly not ready. I guess they would have released it next year but they are afraid of being too far behind Sony.

Edited by PieFacE

I have a feeling there is going to be some dodgy XBOs on release date, they've changed way to much in too little time. Certainly a lot of dashboard bugs, they must have had to completely re-do it due to the 180s they've made.

Ah fair enough!  :) Would it bother you if you had to put it horizontal? 

No. The reason they are vertical is just because I don't keep them in a cabinet. They are on a worktop and I like them to have a smaller footprint.  My 360 used to be horizontal until I bought a PS3 and wanted to put two machines in the space where there was just one. 

Game capture is pretty slick. We saw a marble maze game get instant capture of the last 30 seconds of buffered frames from a simple voice command. Xbox One's Upload Studio had a 720p 30fps clip waiting immediately after. Users can quickly edit, save, or share this clip with further commands. Another voice command can have you back in the game just as quickly. Penella says that these clips will only be able to be shared on Xbox Live at launch. They'll have social sites like YouTube and Facebook set up for sharing by next year.

So on the Xbone you cant share videos to social sites yet. This console is clearly not ready. I guess they would have released it next year but they are afraid of being too far behind Sony.

I wonder if the YouTube thing is down to Google vs Microsoft bullshit.  They have fallen out over YouTube on Windows Phone so this might just be a continuation of that business. 

Rumours this week suggest that Microsoft are working on backwards compatibility for XBONE. It'd work via the cloud, and would also work on PC and even Windows Phone. Nothing official at all, source of the rumour appears to be The Verge. Makes sense they'd try and match the PS4 service at some point.

Â