Match Thread

samjp26

Well that was the first game I watched through and we looked decent. The front three especially look to be in great nick. Okore and Clark were never really tested in the second half, I hope we see the former line-up from the start alongside Vlaar next week.

A bit pointless in a friendly.

Playing Irish sides in English preseason isn't a great idea because the Irish season is almost over. The Irish teams aren't going to put out 100% full strength sides if they've anything to play for, nor are they going to be totally committed,despite what Jack and Tayls thought today. It was a more meaningful game for Villa than it was Rovers today, given that Rovers played on Friday and play again this Friday coming in the league

Okore seems to be the defender we were expecting.

Don't know why Shamrock Rovers parked the bus in the second half. A bit pointless in a friendly.

I disagree. It's a good test for them holding out against Premier League opposition and a good test for us looking at ways to break them down. 

It's serious stuff now. Only one to go.

Good to see Okora with a bit of pace and decent ball control in the second half. With Bacuna's defensive capabilities we may now at last have reasonable cover across the whole of the defense -  there could well be some formation juggling but certainly Okora is making a claim on a regular place next to Vlaar or Baker ?.

Still could do with another CD a la McGrath imo but they don't come along tooo often i suppose. 

Okore seems to be the defender we were expecting.

Don't know why Shamrock Rovers parked the bus in the second half. A bit pointless in a friendly.

I disagree. It's a good test for them holding out against Premier League opposition and a good test for us looking at ways to break them down. 

Fair enough. Sadly it was a test that we failed fairly convincingly though :(

Mind you if Benteke had been on for the whole half things might have been different.

I think you could see how useful Westwood is when he was subbed off. No-one else seems to take the ball off the defenders and pass it out. It forces us into a lot of long balls which are usually lost.

No Chris Herd today. I always though he was half-decent cover at RB

so guys who could watch it, how was Okore? Im praying he comes good as our defence still gives me nightmares..

He seemed just like in the Chelsea videos: Very likely to be the first to the ball, very hard to dispossess, and decent at passing. He well surely be our best defender this season, and I'm a fan of Vlaar.

Playing Baker as LB second half seemed a bit pointless. He seriously isn't a LB.

Several years back as a young lad he was the regular reserve left back and he was good. Some of his crashing tackles were x rated, but you wouldn't want to play against him.

Helenius has the vision and passing ability of a central midfielder.

Unfortunately, on his showing so far, he also has the finishing ability and instincts of a central midfielder.

He'll be interesting to watch, he'll make an excellent support striker I think, but his size sort of leads people into thinking he'll lead the line.

Think thats harsh judging from a few situations in this game

Remember he scored 40 goals the past 2 years.. and didn't he score 2 in germany aswell in the villa shirt?

He has a mean shot, of all the features he could improve on, it would be my least concern.

Edited by P3nnyw1se

Playing Baker as LB second half seemed a bit pointless. He seriously isn't a LB.

Several years back as a young lad he was the regular reserve left back and he was good. Some of his crashing tackles were x rated, but you wouldn't want to play against him.
Can't fault his bravery or defending but in terms of opening up the left channel and working the flanks positively he's limited. Very much a centre half playing full back, the sort of thing MON loved .

Â