Best way to withdraw money when travelling?

Milfner

Travelling through Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Serbia, Bosnia and Croatia throughout August so was wondering what's the best way of withdrawing money?

Can I do it all on one card or will I have to take all my cash with me from the start? 

Cheers

I never take any money with me when i go abroad and I just draw the cash out when I get there (usually at the airport or the train station). I don't get charged for overseas withdrawals on mine. Just check what charges will be on yours. (usually a % of the withdrawal or a flat fee per transaction)

I withdrew using my debit card in SE Asia and it cost me 1.99 charge a time, or you could get something like this

So with that Caxton Euro card I can withdraw in say, Bosnia, too? Or is it just for the eurozone? 

I never take any money with me when i go abroad and I just draw the cash out when I get there (usually at the airport or the train station). I don't get charged for overseas withdrawals on mine. Just check what charges will be on yours. (usually a % of the withdrawal or a flat fee per transaction)

This

Did look at a currency card once but couldn't be arsed ultimately

Small print on that Caxton card says we won't charge you to withdraw but some merchants or ATMs will do , so you could end up paying anyway ??

They also charge you £1.50 everytime you use it if I read it correctly

Your still going to have to pay charges and fees where ever you go , only real advantage I'd see would have been had you loaded it up when the $ was 2.00 to the £ etc

I withdrew using my debit card in SE Asia and it cost me 1.99 charge a time, or you could get something like this

So with that Caxton Euro card I can withdraw in say, Bosnia, too? Or is it just for the eurozone? 

Can use it the world over AFAIK, a couple of girls I was in Ghana with last summer had this card there.

get a travelex card

isn't that the same thing as the Caxton card being mentioned ?

Out of interest have you used one ? how did you find the charges on it  and ease of using it  ... is it like having cash just on a card ?

get a travelex card

I always use one of these now.  They're ideal, dead easy and accepted everywhere.

Travelex have a sale on RIGHT NOW if you're quick.

Only drawback might be that you're not exclusively in the Eurozone so I'm not sure how that would work.

get a travelex card

I always use one of these now.  They're ideal, dead easy and accepted everywhere.

Travelex have a sale on RIGHT NOW if you're quick.

Only drawback might be that you're not exclusively in the Eurozone so I'm not sure how that would work.

when I get to Bali ( and SL) I have to pay the remainder of the balance on my tours  , in US$

I know they do a $ version of the card  , so if I have one of these cards is it the equivalent of cash  ? or would I need to go somewhere to get actual Yankee $'s to give the tour operator  ?

In Bali we found they like "real" dollars - you get a excellent exchange rate.

Edit: Oh and remember to say US Dollar - there are that many Aussies there that the locals assume you mean the funny coloured ashes losing stuff when you say Dollar

Edited by drat01
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Just found this site, and it's a query I've been thinking about.

Those who use the Caxton card it looks to me like there is a charge every time you use it, especially at atm's is that the case or have I read it wrong?

Have people used it worldwide or just Europe?

I used mine all over Europe (from places like Germany, Serbia, Bosnia) and there was no charge. You can only withdraw from an ATM 5 times every 4 days which is a bit annoying I guess but you can use it unlimited on chip & pin transactions

Â