VillaGoMarching

He's a great player, but he probably belongs in the second tier of world footballers, perhaps even the third.

Definitely not a Messi or Ronaldo.

Debatable whether he's up there with Iniesta, Van Persie, Falcao etc

For me, he belongs amongst the Lewandowskis, Suarezs and Agueros.

Really should be going for something closer to £50m. I wouldn't want to be transferring to a team for £100m+ when they have an £80m Ronaldo on their books. You'll soon begin to look a bit silly when it becomes clear that you're nowhere near as good as him.

Edited by Shillzz
  • Like 1

He's not as good as Ronaldo, or than Ronaldo was when Real bought him. So potentially moving for about 50% more than Ronaldo cost is mind blowing to me.

I understand what BOF is saying, that the transfer price becomes almost meaningless. But still. It's madness.

Once you're up in that territory of money, his real value becomes kind of meaningless. He's worth whatever both parties agree he's worth. All Real care about is landing the player, because to them he's another example of their power and allure in world football and that they get their man. I also think Barca landing Neymar guaranteed Real would have to land Bale to placate their fans.

Couldn't Suarez serve the same purpose for almost a third of the price? Why is there a speculated £70 million pounds worth of difference between those two players?

He's not as good as Ronaldo, or than Ronaldo was when Real bought him. So potentially moving for about 50% more than Ronaldo cost is mind blowing to me.

I understand what BOF is saying, that the transfer price becomes almost meaningless. But still. It's madness.

Pretty much this.

He's a great player, but he probably belongs in the second tier of world footballers, perhaps even the third.

Assuming Messi & Ronaldo have a tier all of their own, I'd have Bale in the next tier behind them. I think he's every bit the talent of anyone else and if someone has the edge on him, it's certainly not a different tier of talent. IMHO.

I dont buy the hype myself. Real could buy Marco Reus for about half that fee and I think personally he is a better player than Bale.

He is a very good player but he is not in the top 5-8 players in Europe

Really should be going for something closer to £50m. I wouldn't want to be transferring to a team for £100m+ when they have an £80m Ronaldo on their books. You'll soon begin to look a bit silly when it becomes clear that you're nowhere near as good as him.

I agree with this.

If I had the choice of Bale or Fabregas I'd take Cesc (just about).

Assuming Messi & Ronaldo have a tier all of their own, I'd have Bale in the next tier behind them. I think he's every bit the talent of anyone else and if someone has the edge on him, it's certainly not a different tier of talent. IMHO.

Perhaps. The whole tier-age is always quite a difficult one.

On his current form then he's worth as much as anyone else in the world, I just think that without the long range goals, he comes back into the realms of normality somewhat. Where as someone like Iniesta is just quality, through and through, no matter what he's up to. That said, it doesn't look like Bale's goal scoring is going to stop anytime soon.

Couldn't Suarez serve the same purpose for almost a third of the price? Why is there a speculated £70 million pounds worth of difference between those two players?

If you mean Suarez would placate their fans then no I don't think so. Bale is this summer's must-have toy for the super clubs. The perception is that Suarez is a tainted star being run out of a country for disgracing himself (again). Their public images couldn't be more different. If however you mean they could serve the same purpose within the Real side, I don't think Bale will play up front for Real the way he did for Spurs this season and the way Suarez inevitably would.

If you mean Suarez would placate their fans then no I don't think so. Bale is this summer's must-have toy for the super clubs. The perception is that Suarez is a tainted star being run out of a country for disgracing himself (again). Their public images couldn't be more different. If however you mean they could serve the same purpose within the Real side, I don't think Bale will play up front for Real the way he did for Spurs this season and the way Suarez inevitably would.

I meant from a purely footballing perspective. The disparity in speculated value between Bale and Suarez is ridiculous. Bale only started being considered 'the third best in the world' when he was moved to play behind the striker - so although he is more naturally versatile than Suarez, that's where he will be playing/ should be playing.

Yeah, one on the left and other on the right.. Would certainly be scary on the counter attack.

Yeah but they don't play like that when they're at their best.

They play all over the place.

Can you have two people in your team doing that?

Maybe. I'm sure they'd try it. Football's subtle like that though.

No Idea how they'd play together. The rest of the team would have to be incredibly disciplined to get the best out of them both. In an ideal role, they both need to be given the free role to drift around as they wish, but that becomes difficult when there's 2 of them. 

I think Bale is being done a disservice here, in the context of him not being able to play in the same team as Ronaldo, or replace the role of Di Maria.

Think of our system - Gabby, Benteke, Weimann, essentially playing up top.  No imagine that same system with Ronaldo, Benzema and Bale.  It's frightening!

Bale's work rate is what's being underplayed here though, with suggestions that he's a luxury player.  Take a look at this article from the aftermath of "that night" against Inter.  And this wasn't an anomaly, this is his regular game.

He'd fit into any side in the world, and I actually think he'd be the perfect compliment to Ronaldo.  Anyway, read the below and draw your own conclusions - 

Tottenham wing Gareth Bale stuns experts with speed and distance run against Inter For those who need to be convinced that Gareth Bale’s performance for Spurs against Inter Milan on Tuesday was special, a glance at figures recorded by Tottenham only confirm that belief.
gareth_bale_1753678c.jpg
Speed racer: Gareth Bale ran rings around Inter defender Maicon Photo: AFP

Ley_60_1757408j.jpg

By John Ley

11:23AM GMT 04 Nov 2010

comments.gifComment

Bale covered a distance of 12 kilometres, the longest of any player on the pitch on Tuesday. While that figure is not remarkable - the average for Premier League games is 11.7k - it is Bale’s sprinting that raised eyebrows at Tottenham’s Chigwell training headquarters.

The distances run by players are broken into categories and the telling statistics relating to the Welshman’s contribution surround his high-speed figures.

Of his 12k, Bale ran a remarkable 1,114 metres at a ‘high intensity’ pace, a speed measured at 21k per hour or more.

When one considers the Premier League average is 691m at such a speed, the pace of the 21 year-old suddenly becomes apparent.

Yet the most startling figure from Bale’s remarkable performance against the reigning European champions comes from figures relating to an even quicker speed.

Of the 1,114m he ran at high intensity, Bale actually covered a total of 719m at sprint pace, measured at a speed of 24k per hour or higher.

Incredibly, that is 45 per cent higher than the average of 324m at sprint pace in the Premier League.

To put Bale’s fugures into perspective, the current men’s World record holder at 800m, Kenyan middle distance runner David Lekuta Rudisha, averaged 28.5kph when he set the record, at a speed of 1.41.01 in Berlin in August.

The man charged with marking Bale on Tuesday was Brazilian defender Maicon and he covered a distance of 11.17k on the night, the sixth highest of the evening. But, clearly, at those speeds, few will keep pace with Bale.

• Like 1

Perhaps. The whole tier-age is always quite a difficult one.

On his current form then he's worth as much as anyone else in the world, I just think that without the long range goals, he comes back into the realms of normality somewhat. Where as someone like Iniesta is just quality, through and through, no matter what he's up to. That said, it doesn't look like Bale's goal scoring is going to stop anytime soon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-48EfGjpdk

Â