Things that piss you off that shouldn't

theunderstudy

Is it not also a bit of a parental fail?
Not IMO no.

Parents should not take any responsibility for ensuring their kids can swim? :shock:

If and when I have kids (hopefully when! :mrgreen: ) I'll certainly be teaching them to swim.

and if you can't swim yourself, that still doesn't mean you can't teach your kids to.

A bit like riding a bike (but more important IMO). I'd help to teach my kids to do that.

A tad neglectful not to, IMHO.

I think 'fail' is way too strong a word for it. Of course most parents will do it. I'd imagine it's one of the more enjoyable things parents and kids can do together, but I wouldn't judge a parent on whether they've done it or not. For example, my mother can't swim so quite how she would go about teaching me I don't know. Unless she sent me to classes, which goes back to Mike's original point.

if you can't swim yourself, that still doesn't mean you can't teach your kids to.
Not sure about that. Neither of my parents could swim, and they wouldn't have had a clue how to teach me.

I learned at school, though. Perhaps I should have taught them?

Its a school/pool failing. Taking 30 kids swimming is expensive so (excuse my French) teachers mug that shit off. I can thrash around alright, I've never swam more than a width, EVER.

A message to the excessive sweaters a few pages back; ive got hyperhydrosis and use a special roll on for mega sweaty bastards called anhydrol forte, you can get it from any pharmacy. Its a god damn miracle cure! I only ever wore dark clothes before to hide the 'armpits of death' (sexy stuff eh?) but now i wear whatever i want, my confidence is the main thing thats changed. Be warned though, the first few times you use it bloody stings like hell!

Im fully aware the above reads like im being paid off or something, but seriously, its great stuff.

Its a school/pool failing. Taking 30 kids swimming is expensive so (excuse my French) teachers mug that shit off. I can thrash around alright, I've never swam more than a width, EVER.
Crap teachers, then.

Ours wouldn't let it lie until everybody could do at least a length of the pool.

im taking my boy swimming for the first time some time during the next few weeks, he is 20 months old and i cant wait. As long as you can swim yourself i think its one of them things you do for bonding like learning to ride a bike etc

Babies naturally autoreact to survive - hence why they grip so strongly. Ismt it true it would hang off a washing line if it grabbed hold of it?

Hmmm. I would guess that even if you yourself can't swim, you could still teach your kids to do so at a base level.

Take them into the shallow end of a pool type thing with armbands, and help them to try to swim.

A bit like teaching a kid to ride a bike. I'd imagine that you would know the basics of how to ride a bike, even if you have never ridden a bike yourself.

TBH, if you know that the school is not teaching your kid to swim, i'd certainly have a go myself, even if I couldn't swim. Or if I had the money, i'd get them swimming lessons.

Or if I didn't, I'd ask frineds if they could take my kids with them when they took their little uns swimming.

That sort of thing.

What I am saying, and I stick by this, is that it is something of a parental fail to not make sure your kids can swim at a base level, whether having taught them yourself, or by other means.

Ismt it true it would hang off a washing line if it grabbed hold of it?

I don't know but we're minding a 20 month old tomorrow and I'm gonna try it :thumb:

:lol: Won't work. Does with very young babies though, amazingly enough.

Â